iOS8 - 1password keeps asking for masterpassword, instead of asking for fingerprint

Options
eisefr
eisefr
Community Member

Following issue:

1. I restart my phone....
  2. I open Safari, and open a site where I need a username and password.
  3. I use the normal way with 1password button in safari. Since my phone is restartet.. I am prompted for the masterpassword. Perfekt !
  4. I open another site in safari... and i am being prompted AGAIN for the masterpassword. But in security-settings I enabled the touch-ID.

To fix this... I have to
1. open the 1password - app
2. disable Touch-ID in Security-Settings
3. enable Touch-ID again

Only now I am prompted for my fingerprint.

Why is this ?
Can I fix this in any way ?

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @eisefr,

Could you please let me know what you have the other settings in Settings > Security set for?

Thanks!

• eisefr
    eisefr
    Community Member
    Options

I think that's all standard-settings

Lock when app is closed -> enabled
    Automatic lock after 10 minutes
    Touch-ID -> enabled

• Ben
    Options

Please try changing lock when app is closed to disabled and see if that has an effect on the original problem. Thanks!

• eisefr
    eisefr
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes.... it changed something.

I am neither prompted for the masterpassword or the fingerprint at the 2nd login.

After this.... I deleted all settings and data from 1password.
    Then the app closed automaticly ...and I had to restart it again.. connect to Dropbox.. open my passwordfile again.

And still... the same issue like I described in post #1 :blush:

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

I am noticing the same behavior as eisefr with version 5.2.1 for iOS. I did not notice the behavior in earlier versions.

The issue is exhibited on both my iPhone 6 Plus with TouchID and my iPad Air with no TouchID (just PIN auth for 1Password). On both devices, the Safari extension always prompts for the master password instead of TouchID or PIN. I can fix the issue by rebooting the device, but the bug will reappear after some time (perhaps on some subsequent reboot). What I have not been able to conclusively determine is whether the correct auth behavior (prompting for TouchID or PIN after a successful entry of the master password) persists until some subsequent reboot. It appears to be the case, but I am not completely certain.

Both devices are synced via Dropbox, and I also have 5.3 Beta on Mac synced to Dropbox.

Here are my security settings:

iPhone 6 Plus:

iPad Air:

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

Are any of these devices jailbroken?

• eisefr
    eisefr
    Community Member
    Options

No.... No Jailbreak on this device.

iPhone 5s, 32 GB with latest iOS-Version installed (8.1.3)

• eisefr
    eisefr
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue after updating iOS to version. 8.2.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eisefr & @verdi1987,

Can I ask one question please.

Does this happen if you open the 1Password application first before going to Safari?

We are aware of the behaviour where unlocking the extension isn't setting the normal timers e.g. you have the Auto-Lock set for x minutes and it is currently locked. If you were to unlock 1Password for iOS you could use the extension for those x minutes without being required to unlock your vault. If you use the extension multiple times you will be asked to unlock each time. Well the same seems to apply after a reboot. Only the main app sets the field that says you've supplied the Master Password and so until you unlock 1Password for iOS once the extension will repeatedly ask for the Master Password.

I suspect this will be what you're experiencing but please let us know if that is not the case.

ref: OPI-1700

• eisefr
    eisefr
    Community Member
    Options

Right now it is pretty much like you described it @littlebobbytables .

If I restart the phone.. and use my masterpassword to unlock 1password-app first, it works always perfect within the extension.

But if I restart my phone... and open safari... i have to re type my masterpassword **every **time to unlock 1password.
    Even when I unlocked the extension already a few seconds before.

I am very sure that this behavoir now is not like it was in earlier versions of 1password.

This behavoir right now, doesn't make sense to me.
    Typing the master password once should be enough. Either in the app itself.. or in the extension.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables:

1. The devices are not jailbroken.
    2. It does seem that opening the iOS app and supplying the master password does unlock the extension. However, as @eisefr noted, I am certain that requirement is new behavior that began very recently.
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eisefr & @verdi1987,

It seems our bug OPI-1700 is the root of this issue given both of your experiences. I reopened OPI-1700 on the basis of your original reports and my findings so hopefully it's a matter of working out why this has happened.

I do apologise and I certainly understand your perspective of why unlocking once either via the main app or extension should be enough. I like the idea as it would make it seem consistent with 1Password for Mac. Hopefully we can get this resolved or at least clarified.

• commander_mike
    commander_mike
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a similar issue, although now the 1password app (version 5.3) is not even asking for my touch id, even if I disable and re-enable it. Another curious problem, once I lock the app, it forgets which vault I am using. I've been using this program extensively at work, so I have a personal and work vault setup.

I use 1password with dropbox between my iphone5s (with ios8.2), windows (version 4.3.0.556) and mac. Until recently it has performed fantastically, I especially enjoy using the touchid as it is very convenient. Not being able to use that or even a pin has made using the 1password app on my phone a little frustrating.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @commander_mike.

Another curious problem, once I lock the app, it forgets which vault I am using.

How are you locking the app? I'd like to try to reproduce this issue.

Not being able to use that or even a pin has made using the 1password app on my phone a little frustrating.

Understandable. Hopefully we can get OPI-1700 fixed up soon. That said, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app to resolve the issue you are having? I'm not asking you to do that at this point if you haven't already, just asking if that has been attempted. Thanks!

• commander_mike
    commander_mike
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the speedy reply @bwoodruff

How are you locking the app? I'd like to try to reproduce this issue.

Either pressing lock now from settings, or pressing Home to exit the app. I have mine set to lock immediately. If I'm navigating the secondary vault or looking at an item from the secondary vault and exit out of the app, once I come back in (after entering my master password) it's showing entries from the primary vault. Not a huge deal, but it is also irritating.

have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app

I just did as I had yet to do that. Both problems appear to persist. The touchid issue is more of a concern to me though.

• Ben
    Options

Either pressing lock now from settings, or pressing Home to exit the app. I have mine set to lock immediately. If I'm navigating the secondary vault or looking at an item from the secondary vault and exit out of the app, once I come back in (after entering my master password) it's showing entries from the primary vault. Not a huge deal, but it is also irritating.

This I wasn't able to reproduce. If I hit 'lock now' I see the behavior you describe, but simply hitting the home button and reopening the app does not cause this for me. It seems there may be some tie to when the Master Password is requested and this happening.

I just did as I had yet to do that. Both problems appear to persist. The touchid issue is more of a concern to me though.

Okay, thanks. I'd like to have to create a diagnostic report for us. You can find instructions here: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the Report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• commander_mike
    commander_mike
    Community Member
    Options

support ID [#JXS-32347-366]

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, Mike! Got it. I'll have our email team review the report... Hopefully there is something in the logs that gives us a hint at why this is happening on your device but not mine.

Thanks

.ref: JXS-32347-366

• commander_mike
    commander_mike
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Thanks bwoodruff. It might be worth mentioning that I had to restore my iPhone quite recently. I can't recall if this started happening after that or after an update from 1password though.

• Ben
    Options

And just to confirm: Touch ID works with other apps?

• commander_mike
    commander_mike
    Community Member
    Options

I've not used it in other apps, other than using touchid to unlock my phone.

.... Umm, it just popped up on 1password app and worked actually....
    I then tried locking from settings and touchid did not pop up after. Once I put master password in again and pressed home to exit, touchid popped up when I re-opened the app.

I swear, it hasn't been working until just now....

• Ben
    Options

Could you please try restarting the phone and see if it continues working?

This discussion has been closed.