Chrome Extension Not Communicating with 1Password Helper [Moved to email]

Options
Dwimmerlaik
Dwimmerlaik
Community Member
edited March 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Preferred Mac user being forced onto a Windoze machine by my employer (long story for another time). I'm trying to setup 1Password to run on Windows 8.1 with Google Chrome. Here is the application information:

1Password for Windows Version 4.2.0.BETA-549
1Password Extension for Google Chrome Version 4.2.5.90

The trouble I'm having is that any time I click on the 1Password extension icon, it attempts to locate the 1Password Helper and then reports that it is unable to do so. I am running McAfee VirusScan (corporate mandate) with Host Intrusion Protection and I have reviewed the log files and I don't find anything being blocked on the ports mentioned in the Knowledge Article.

I have also tested 1Password in Internet Explorer 11 and 1Password works without any issues at all.

I'm at a loss on where I should look next to try and determine where the breakdown is. Any suggestions?

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The trouble I'm having is that any time I click on the 1Password extension icon, it attempts to locate the 1Password Helper and then reports that it is unable to do so.

@Dwimmerlaik I'm sorry you are having this problem.

First, I would like to ask you to restart the 1Password helper here: Help > Restart 1Password Helper

If this doesn't solve your problem, then please turn OFF this setting: Help > Advanced > Verify web browser code signature

Please let us know how it turned out. Thanks!

• Dwimmerlaik
    Dwimmerlaik
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, I've tried both of those and neither have helped. I'm going to try completely uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password to see if that makes any difference. It is very odd that it works just fine with IE and not with Chrome. I would think that both browsers would utilize the 1Password Helper and if one was having trouble communicating with it, the other would as well.

• Dwimmerlaik
    Dwimmerlaik
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I've tried everything on that page that applies. I also tried disabling all of the extensions in Chrome except for the 1Password extension and that didn't make a difference either. I did completely remove 1Password & the 1Password Browser Extension, rebooted Windoze, and reinstalled (making sure the checkbox in advanced settings about browser verification was unchecked) and then reattempted and the problem persists. At this point I don't really know what is causing the issue.

Do Internet Explorer and Chrome interface with the 1Password application differently? If they both use the 1Password Helper application, then I would think that would rule out anything being blocked by McCrapee's Intrusion Protection system. If they interface with 1Password differently, then that may provide a clue where the problem lays.

Thoughts??

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Do Internet Explorer and Chrome interface with the 1Password application differently?

Yes they do.

• Dwimmerlaik
    Dwimmerlaik
    Community Member
    Options

Any clues in the different interface methodology on why IE is working and Chrome isn't? If IE isn't relying on a port being open and Chrome is, for example, that could point to a problem with the ruleset in McCrapee. If that's the case, then I can petition our IT department to add a rule to allow for access to the specific ports that are required for the Chrome Extension to work properly. I'm not sure how successful I'll be, but it's worth a shot if I can say definitively that the issue lies with those ports being blocked.

Also, is it necessary that ports 5353, 6262, 6263, 10196, 14826, 24866, 25012, 38156, 46365, 49806, 55735, and 59488 all be unblocked for the Chrome extension to work? That seems like an awful lot of ports that need to be open and I'm sure I'll get push back if that's the case. What are the minimum ports that need to be open for the Chrome Extension to work?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

Any clues in the different interface methodology on why IE is working and Chrome isn't?

Chrome is using the WebSockets technology. The 1Password helper is in essence a HTTP server listening on port 6263.

Something is preventing the 1Password extension in Chrome from connecting to this WebSockets server. Probably anti-virus software. Or a firewall. Or a proxy.

What are the minimum ports that need to be open for the Chrome Extension to work?

• Dwimmerlaik
    Dwimmerlaik
    Community Member
    Options

Something is preventing the 1Password extension in Chrome from connecting to this WebSockets server. Probably anti-virus software. Or a firewall. Or a proxy.

I checked the Activity Log on the McAfee Host Intrusion Protection System and there isn't any indication that it's being blocked by McAfee. I'm not receiving any sort of virus alert either, so I don't think that is it. I've tried switching to 64-bit Chrome to see if that makes a difference and no change there either. Is there any sort of log file for the extension or the 1Password Helper that could help with troubleshooting where the communication breakdown is occurring?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Is there any sort of log file for the extension or the 1Password Helper that could help with troubleshooting where the communication breakdown is occurring?

@Dwimmerlaik Please follow these steps:

1. Click on the 1Password button in your web browser
    2. Open the 1Password app
    3. Click on: Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File...
    4. Please send your DR to: support+windows AT agilebits DOT com
    5. Please include a link to this discussion, so that we can "connect the dots". Thanks!
  • Dwimmerlaik
    Dwimmerlaik
    Community Member
    Options

I've emailed the diagnostic report as requested.

• MikeT
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @Dwimmerlaik,

We got the email (ID#: HWF-84495-995) and will review the report soon. We'll reply to you via email and to avoid the crosstalk, we'll close this thread, so we only have to communicate via the email and not two places at the same time.

This discussion has been closed.