Just bought a new MacBook Air with Yosemite and can't get 1password5 to work on new computer

Options
jkeehn
jkeehn
Community Member

Hi
I just bought a new MacBookAir and am trying to download the program to my new computer, but can't get it to work.
I have 1password4 on my old MacBookAir.
Any advice?

Comments

• jkeehn
    jkeehn
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe a few more details would be helpful.

1. I downloaded the free version of 1Password to my new computer, and I now have 1password5 in my applications folder.

2. When I try to open that program it asks if I am new to 1pass or if I've used it before. I say I have used it before.

3. It asks where I saved my data and I say on another device.

4. That take me to a screen that says "Another Device," and says I have several options, and I click on More Information, as directed.

5. That takes me to this page:
      https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/4/en/topic/getting-started-again-on-a-new-different-computer

6. Where I read:
      To begin, click on Finder > Applications and then double click on the 1Password 4 icon to start 1Password.
      I am told this:
      1Password 4 will start, and display a welcome screen with an overview of 1Password 4. If you’re already familiar with the overview of 1Password 4, click Awesome! Let’s Get Started, or to continue reading either scroll down or click on one of the topics on the left to jump to that topic.

7. I click on Ipass in my applications folder (except it is 1Password5, not 4). But instead of seeing this message, as I was told:
      1Password 4 will start, and display a welcome screen with an overview of 1Password 4. If you’re already familiar with the overview of 1Password 4, click Awesome! Let’s Get Started, or to continue reading either scroll down or click on one of the topics on the left to jump to that topic.
      I go back to the screen that says "Another Device" (see #4, above).

So it is just a frustrating loop.
    I spent a half an hour in the Mac store where I bought my computer with the tech there, and she could not figure it out either.

Any advice?
    Do I need to upgrade to Ipass5, maybe?

Thanks
    Joel

• jkeehn
    jkeehn
    Community Member
    Options

One other thing, just to be clear: I have Ipassword4 on my old MacBook Air.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jkeehn,

Can I ask, at any point in the past have you ever synced your vault to a cloud service. The two we support are Dropbox and Apple's iCloud. If you haven't then at the moment the data only resides on your old MacBook Air and what we need to do is move a copy of it to your new MacBook Air.

So I have a couple of questions and then we'll get you sorted out.

1. Do you sync to either Dropbox or iCloud in 1Password 4 on your old MacBook Air?
    2. If you don't, are you wanting to keep using the old MacBook Air afterwards and have these two copies of 1Password remain in sync?

Once we know the answers to those we can supply a set of steps that will get you all sorted out. You won't need to upgrade to 1Password 5 on the old MacBook Air unless you want to but it certainly isn't required just to get your vault onto your new machine :smile:

• jkeehn
    jkeehn
    Community Member
    Options

I have not synced my vault to a cloud service, and I can't, because my old MacBook Air is my employer's and they won't let me install Dropbox onto that computer.
    I would like to continue to use my old MacBookAir and have the two stay in sync; and would like to be able to sync with my android phone. I think to do that--sync with my phone--I also need to have Dropbox.
    I do have Dropbox on my phone, and on my new computer. Just not the computer with 1password installed.
    Without Dropbox or Icloud on my old computer, what can I do?
    Can I copy onto a flashdrive and transfer maybe?
    Thanks
    Joel

• jkeehn
    jkeehn
    Community Member
    Options

hello?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jkeehn,

There is a way forward.

The easiest way to keep your new MacBook Air and your Android phone in sync is as you already know - Dropbox. As you've said that's not going to work for the old MacBook Air. On the old machine though you can set up 1Password 4 to use what we call Folder Sync. It uses the same data structures as we use in Dropbox so if you were to copy your 1Password.agilekeychain from Dropbox to a pen drive you could use that.

What I would recommend is only making changes on the new MacBook Air or your Android device. That way all you ever need to do is copy the 1Password.agilekeychain from Dropbox to your pen drive to keep the old MacBook Air up-to-date. You won't have to worry about conflicts or data loss.

If you need to make changes from the old MacBook Air it gets tougher. I would try and encourage you to keep this part as a one-way sync though to avoid the hassle.

What do you think?

• jkeehn
    jkeehn
    Community Member
    Options

OK. I think that makes sense.
    I assume this link https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/4/en/topic/sync-with-local-folder will explain what to do next.
    But in broad strokes, want to make sure I understand what to do:
    1. I will end up copying my agilekeychain from my old computer to a thumb drive and use that to establish my vault on my new computer.
    2. Once I get my vault established on my new computer, I can sync to my android phone using Dropbox.
    3. Going forward, I will make changes to my vault on my old computer only by copying the agilekeychain back to a thumb driver to my old computer.

Is that more or less right?
    Thanks again for all the help.
    Joel

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jkeehn,

That's a good summary. As long as you're happy making additions or modifications on either the new MacBook Air or the Android device (so the changes are in Dropbox) it will make life easier for you. Even trying to explain the potential pitfalls of merging a Folder Sync .agilekeychain with Dropbox is messy so as long as that isn't an imposition it's what I think is the path of least resistance.

Let us know how you get along and obviously if you have any questions do please ask.

• jkeehn
    jkeehn
    Community Member
    Options

It works! Thanks
    Joel

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for letting us know @jkeehn :smile:

I'm going to leave this thread open just in case you have any more questions regarding this but fingers crossed everything runs smoothly. Enjoy that new MacBook Air!

This discussion has been closed.