Touch ID not working

Options
gerygone
gerygone
Community Member

I have the latest version (5.2.1) of 1password on my iPhone 6+, running iOS 8.1.3. When I enable touch ID the animated key lock moves to the top of the screen but nothing else happens when I put my finger on the home button. The app freezes. Indeed I need to delete the app and reinstall and operate using the master password to use the app. This appeared to start when I downloaded the latest update on the weekend. The app works perfectly with the master password but not with touch ID. I have deleted the app three times and reinstalled it each time, enabling touch ID. Touch ID is working for logging onto the phone.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

If the phone is crashing completely you need to disable zoomed mode. Otherwise, please ensure your finger is not on the touch sensor at the time you open 1P. Wait for the 1P prompt to appear before touching the touch sensor.

Does that help?

• bicyclefreak
    bicyclefreak
    Community Member
    Options

exactly the same problem here. Zoom cannot be switched off in settings.

• gerygone
    gerygone
    Community Member
    Options

Stephen, The phone is not crashing. It is not in zoom mode. After the key lock moves to the top of the screen, simply nothing happens when I put my finger on the home screen and I have to delete and reinstall because I cannot get into the app to change the settings back to master password.

• gerygone
    gerygone
    Community Member
    Options

That is another thing. No prompt appears. The animated log moves to the top of the screen, nothing more.

• woko
    woko
    Community Member
    Options

Have the same problem. I can actually see the categories, but the whole screen seems to be "grayed out" (see screenshot). The phone is not "really" crashed. I can still change the volume of the ringtone or make those screenshots. However, single- or double-click on the home button, etc. doesn't work. I can switch off the screen and re-activate it to finally enter the app successfully. But this takes some time of waiting.
    Hope that you can fix this bug soon as it's not so cool. Thank you!

• Inno
    Inno
    Community Member
    Options

I tried several times to open 1Password (version 5.2.1) on my 6+ (iOS 8.1.3) using Touch ID. It chrashes time after time.
    Very disappointing.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @gerygone, @bicyclefreak, @woko, @Inno,

I'm sorry you're all having some problems with 1Password and Touch ID! It actually sounds like there are multiple issues being discussed here, although some may be related:

If you open 1Password and the lock icon slides to the top of the screen but nothing else happens (no Touch ID prompt, the app remains locked), you should not need to delete/reinstall 1Password. Instead, double-click the Home button and swipe up on 1Password to force quit, then relaunch it. If the problem continues to happen, try restarting your iOS device (hold down the power button for a few seconds and "slide to power off", then turn it back on again). Other users have confirmed this often seems to solve the problem.

If you can unlock 1Password and see one of the main screens (Categories, Settings, etc) but then the app freezes and turns a darker shade of gray, you might be touching the Touch ID sensor when opening the 1Password app, before the Touch ID prompt appears. We've had trouble reproducing it on our devices, but believe this is related to a bug in iOS 8. However, our developers are working with Apple to get to the bottom of this, so hopefully they'll find a solution soon. For now, if this happens, you should be able to use the power button to turn the screen off & on again (as @woko described). Also, you should be able to avoid this problem completely by waiting until you see the Touch ID prompt in 1Password before touching the fingerprint scanner.

If you're using an iPhone 6 Plus and 1Password is crashing and/or freezing, this might be happening if Zoomed mode is enabled. Our developers are also looking into this issue. In the meantime, as a workaround, open the Settings app and go to Display & Brightness > Display Zoom, and change it back to Standard.

I apologize for the inconvenience! Hopefully this helps a bit, but if you're having a similar issue with Touch ID and 1Password that doesn't seem to be covered by one of the scenarios above, please let us know. Thanks!

ref: OPI-2068
    ref: OPI-1931
    ref: OPI-1929

• gerygone
    gerygone
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Drew. Just like it stopped working for no apparent reason, touch ID is now working again and I get the touch ID prompt.

• Inno
    Inno
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew! I read all your suggestions above but none of them seems to be related to the problem I am experiencing.
    Bottum line is I cannot open 1Password using Touch ID on my iPhone 6+. I can only open the program using the master password. When using Touch ID the program crashes. And it keeps crashing multiple times. Sometimes I am lucky and 1Password will stay open after 3 or 4 tries. I'll manage but it is a pity because opening using Touch ID is a USP that I like very much!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Inno,

The first thing always worth trying if you haven't already is rebooting your iPhone 6+

After that, do you have your vault stored elsewhere at all? It might be worth deleting 1Password for iOS and downloading a fresh copy. We can only do this though if your vault is stored elsewhere as deleting an iOS app deletes all of its files at the same time - this is an iOS feature and unavoidable.

If you need assistance in making sure you have a copy of your vault elsewhere please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.