Syncing iCloud and Dropbox

Options
lucasff0
lucasff0
Community Member

Hi
First of all, sorry if this question is already answered somewhere that i couldn't find.

I have my iPhone and Mac synced with iCloud perfectly. My 1P for windows is not syncing with iPhone and Mac but it's been used a lot.
But now, i want them all synced together with dropbox. Considering that i have logins on my Mac that are not synced with windows and logins on windows that are not on my Mac and iPhone, how do I sync them all together on dropbox without losing anything?

Thanks

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lucasff0,

No problem, we can definitely help to set up Dropbox sync on Windows, Mac, and iOS! You shouldn't lose anything in this process, but just to be safe, you should make sure you have current backups of your 1Password data on Mac and Windows:

• On your Mac, open 1Password and go to File > Backup.
    • On your Windows PC, open 1Password and go to Backup > Back Up 1Password Vault.

Once you back up your data, you'll want to set up Dropbox sync on Windows first. If you already have Dropbox installed, you can simply follow these steps:

• Launch 1Password on your Windows PC, and click on the Preferences button.
    • On the General tab, click on the Move to Dropbox button.
    • Wait for Dropbox to finish copying your data up to your private dropbox.com web site.

After Dropbox finishes copying your data, you can switch to Dropbox sync on your Mac and iPhone by follow the steps at these links:

When you set up Dropbox sync on your Mac and iPhone, you'll be choosing the same .agilekeychain file that you moved to Dropbox from Windows. You'll be asked if you want to merge your data (you do). By merging, your data from 1Password for Windows will be added to your data in 1Password for Mac/iOS, and vice versa. If you've created some of the same items separately on both, you may end up with duplicates, but nothing should be deleted (and you can go through your vault later and remove duplicate items if you want).

At this point you should be all set, but if you have any trouble with that or have questions, just let us know. Thanks!

• lucasff0
    lucasff0
    Community Member
    Options

It worked just fine.
    Really apreciate your help!
    Thank you.

• Good to see that worked out for you, @lucasff0.

Let us know if you run into any other issues.

Rick

• androsdelisle
    androsdelisle
    Community Member
    Options

Hello - I've just tried following these instructions (having the same problem) but I'm unable to click the "move to dropbox" button. It's all greyed out.

Any suggestions?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @androsdelisle,

In 1Password for Windows the Move to Dropbox would be disabled if your .agilekeychain or OPVault is already stored in your Dropbox folder. I can't find another scenario where it's disabled so far. Can I ask, just above that button it should tell you where your vault is currently located, what does it say?

• androsdelisle
    androsdelisle
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks lbt

Yes, you're right. It does look like its linked.

But it's still not syncing across windows laptop and pc? (nor iphone & ipad for that matter). Could you help me with that please?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @androsdelisle,

So with the Windows machines the first thing to check is if both copies are pointing to the same copy of your vault in Dropbox. If they aren't there's the cause. Now with 1Password for Windows simply opening the right vault should be all you need to do. This can be done either by double clicking on the right .agilekeychain or using the menu option File > Open 1Password Vault....

With 1Password for iOS it's a slightly different matter but the first thing to check is still to see if it's pointing at the right vault in Dropbox.

For each of your iOS devices you will want to do the following and report back.

1. Launch 1Password for iOS and enter the Settings (on an iPad it's the cog in the bottom left hand corner)/
    2. Assuming Dropbox sync has been configured, you should be able to tap on Sync > Sync Service Dropbox and in there, just below where it says Dropbox it should show you the path that you're syncing to.

Now if the path on your iOS devices differs you can tap on the Change Dropbox and follow the prompts. You will need to disable the existing sync to set up a new one if you're wondering why the first button is Disable Sync

That would be my hunch as to why they aren't syncing, if they aren't all pointing to the same .agilekeychain in Dropbox they simply aren't communicating. If that doesn't help please let us know what you find. For example, if both iOS devices are pointing to the same .agilekeychain then you would expect a test item created on one to appear on the other.

This discussion has been closed.