Silent install with licensing for deployment at work

Options

Hello,

I need to deploy 1Password to a bunch of machines and license it during the silent installation. I found the command line switches for the installer but no indication of how to license the product with our license file. How do I do this?

Thanks.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I found the command line switches for the installer but no indication of how to license the product with our license file. How do I do this?

@wilphan You can put the OPW4.license file in this folder:

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\AgileBits

• wilphan
    wilphan
    Community Member
    Options

Does it matter that I installed the trial version? I put the license file there and the title bar still says "1Password Trial".

The name of the file is currently $companyname-$GUID.license. I tried renaming it to "OPW4.license" following your example but doing so causes 1Password to fail to launch.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @wilphan,

Does it matter that I installed the trial version?

We don't have separate downloads for trial and registered versions if that's what you mean. The activated license file is all you need to remove the trial restrictions in the same installer you got from our site.

The name of the file is currently $companyname-$GUID.license. I tried renaming it to "OPW4.license" following your example but doing so causes 1Password to fail to launch.

However, I'm not sure what the $companyname-$GUID.license is, that is not our license file, and you should not be renaming anything, the default name is OPW4.license already.

Please move the license file you renamed to your desktop.

It sounds like you need to activate your license file first. To do this, open 1Password first on your computer, go to the Help Menu > Enter License Key to enter your license key. Once you do that, you should see the OPW4.license file generated in that folder that Stefan mentioned.

Once you see it, copy that license file and deploy it in the same directory to the rest of your machines.

• wilphan
    wilphan
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, that worked. Apparently, the license file I was trying before was meant for 1Password on Macs.

So here's the tricky part. We preinstall our applications on machines before they get deployed to users. We won't know ahead of time which machine will go to which user. How do I license 1Password for all users on the machine? I'm told that we have a site license for all of our users here. The path that Stefan gave is user-specific.

• There is a way we could allow the licence file to be installed and read from a secondary location.
    Implementing this, will take time, though.

In the meantime you could either automate the creation of the necessary folders and the automatic addition of the licence file to said folder once a user logs onto the machine for the first time, or give each and every user the license key and tell them to activate it manually.

• wilphan
    wilphan
    Community Member
    Options

Got it. Yes, that part could be automated, I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to that. I'll give it a try and chime back in if I run into any problems. Thanks.

• Please do. We're here if you need us. Cheers

• Just to let you know: Our developers have added a feature to the app that should help.

First, it looks for the license in %APPDATA%. Then, if it's not present there, it looks for the license in %COMMONAPPDATA%.
    That should make silent and automated installations easier.

This will appear in the next beta (version 4.2.1.BETA-552) and will go into the stable soon.

This discussion has been closed.