Can authenticate on iPhone, iPad but not Macbook - help!

spiritride
spiritride
Community Member
edited March 2015 in Mac

I'm totally baffled. I went to authenticate with my master password on my MacBook pro (where I've been using 1password for a while now) and suddenly I'm unable to authenticate there. I CAN authenticate on my iPhone and iPad,) but don't know what to do about my MacBook. Any suggestions? I've synched twice, but don't know if that synch's credentials or just content. Thanks for any advice. There's no customer service number to call.

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

No, there's never been phone support. You will get good support from AgileBits staff and also from users in the forum, and the Agile people will take the discussion to email if needed.

You're sure you have the password correct on the Macbook? You don't have Caps Lock pressed, for instance.

• spiritride
    spiritride
    Community Member

I thought about the caps lock as well and double-checked to make sure it wasn't turned on accidentally. I'm pretty certain that isn't the problem. Thanks for the suggestion, though. My concern is that I don't want to lock access out - it is a question I have, by the way. Does 1Password have a locking feature after a certain number of login attempts?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

There is no limit to the number of times you can attempt to enter a master password, so don't need to worry on that count. There is a list of suggestion to try if you've forgotten your master passwords, here.

• spiritride
    spiritride
    Community Member

Man oh man is this ever frustrating. Hours of work setting up profiles and a week before vacation. What I don't get is why I CAN authenticate on my iPhone and iPad but not my MacBook? Ugh - this is not what I wanted to do on a sick day from work... OK, since I'm not asking for a pity party here, I've verified that my caps lock wasn't on, pretty darned sure the obscure num lock isn't on (although on a Mac, that's an obscure key) and I've tried a half dozen times carefully typing in my password and no luck - I'm screwed.

• spiritride
    spiritride
    Community Member

So, a question - can I change my Master Password on my iPhone or iPad and synch and then be able to log in from the MacBook?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @spiritride,

Assuming you've checked out the Master Password not accepted that hawkmoth's page linked to and eliminated all of those then yes, you should be able to change the Master Password on one of your iOS devices and have that synced to your MacBook assuming you're using iCloud or Dropbox for syncing. Now we did eliminate some bugs relating to Master Password syncing in 5.1 for Mac and 5.2 for iOS so I hope that you're running the latest versions on both platforms.

Assuming you are though you can try to change you Master Password on one device and then let Dropbox propagate those changes to the other devices.

Now do you use iTunes with your iOS devices at all? If you do these steps prior to changing your Master Password will at least give you a safety net which may ease any concerns.

If you use Touch ID or a PIN then you will want to lock your iOS device using the Settings > Security > Lock Now option in 1Password to force requiring your Master Password.

Let us know how you get along.

• spiritride
    spiritride
    Community Member

Awesome - that worked (changing my master password on my iPhone and synch'ing to the MacBook.) Now the million-dollar question - how in the heck did my master password get changed on my MacBook? I'm absolutely certain I never changed it - not the kind of thing you'd forget. It had me a bit worried my computer may have been hacked! But, I checked my logs of access and didn't see any suspicious behavior of account creation of log in activity from a remote source. Whew! Thanks everyone for your tips and suggestions. Let's hope that doesn't happen again!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @spiritride,

We did fix a couple of sync bugs relating to syncing of new encryption keys in the latest version of 1Password for Mac and iOS. The one scenario that would have been extremely hard to test is of somebody was unknowingly affected by the bug and then updated. Now that is a complete guess for two reasons 1. I don't know what version of 1Password you have run in the past and what you're running now and 2. what the fix entailed. This is supposition from a user's perspective rather than as a developer.

I don't believe you'll have been hacked either and given we've fixed bugs (as I said earlier) I hope we've seen the last of these issues too. Fingers crossed for years of happy 1Password usage :smile:

• spiritride
    spiritride
    Community Member

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm on 1Password 5 for the Mac but it's interesting to realize that unlike the Windows world I come from at work, the Help menu doesn't state quite as clearly what release you're on. Based on the release notes that show up, I assume I'm on 5.1 and this is the first release I've been on. I've had no issues with the product up until now and I think it's very well designed. But, needless to say, having your master password mysteriously change is a bit unsettling. The good news is, the outcome wasn't that painful - just stressful. Again, thanks for the tips and offer of help.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

In the Mac world, version numbers are found in the About... menu item for an application, first entry in the menu whose name is the application.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @spiritride,

I hope you found danco's post informative, that's one of the many differences between Macs and Windows of which there are a few. Still, I hope you find the transition to Macs a pleasant one as over the years I've never felt compelled to return to Windows myself.

This discussion has been closed.