?onepasswdfill fills in old password

Options
kbacpa
kbacpa
Community Member

I recently changed my password for my Verizon Wireless account and the automatic login stopped working. When I changed the password, I got the dialog to update my login entry in 1password and it was updated correctly. When I try to login, however, the password that is filled in automatically on the second page of the login screen is incorrect. If I then select the login from the mini dropdown menu, 1password fills in the correct password and logs me in. The URL is of the form https://login.verizonwireless.com/amserver/UI/Login?onepasswdfill=xxxxx. I tried to create a new login for the new password, but the ?onepasswdfill part was not added, so I have to login by selecting the login twice, once for each login screen.

I am using the Firefox browser and Yosemite OS. Is there a way to fix the original entry so it works automatically again with the new password?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The usual solution for problems like this is to re-create and save the login manually. Have you tried following exactly that procedure?

Stephen

• kbacpa
    kbacpa
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I have gone through the procedure for creating a multi-page login and it works, but I have to manually select the entry again to get 1password to enter and submit the password. The old entry automatically submits the password which would be more convenient if it was not submitting (what I believe to be) the old password. I am using the Mac App Store version 5.1 (510027) of 1Password and version 36.0.1 of Firefox. I am now running OSX 10.10.2, but I believe I upgraded from 10.10.1 after this problem occurred.

I did submit a crash report that one of the 1password extensions or helper apps stopped working. The notification popped up shortly after I changed my password. I am not sure if that could be related.

I just went through my other logins and could not find any others that have the ?onepasswdfill=XXXXX added to the end of the URL, so I am not sure what I did when creating the original login than added this convenience for this particular website.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kbacpa,

After reading through your messages, I think there are a couple things happening here which might be causing confusion:

When I try to login, however, the password that is filled in automatically on the second page of the login screen is incorrect.

If I'm understanding that correctly, the password field is on a separate page than the username, and the password is being filled automatically. However, 1Password never fills a form on a website unless you explicitly tell it to do so. If your password is being automatically filled on the second page of the login site, it sounds like Firefox saved your password for that site and is set to automatically fill it in for you. Firefox doesn't know your new password for that site, so it's filling the wrong/old password.

If I then select the login from the mini dropdown menu, 1password fills in the correct password and logs me in.

1Password prompted you to update your Login item with the new password when you changed it on that site, which is why the correct password is filled when you choose that Login item from the 1Password extension.

So, the problem is actually that Firefox is filling your old password on the second page of the login site. To turn off Firefox's autofill feature, you can follow the steps here: Disabling browsers’ built-in password managers

The URL is of the form https://login.verizonwireless.com/amserver/UI/Login?onepasswdfill=xxxxx. I tried to create a new login for the new password, but the ?onepasswdfill part was not added

That's correct, you should not have "?onepasswdfill" in the URL in your Login items in 1Password. If you do, that might be related to a 1Click Bookmark (an older feature that isn't often used anymore), or perhaps something left over from an older version of 1Password. Either way, you can remove that part of the URL from your Login item so it looks like this: https://login.verizonwireless.com/amserver/UI/Login

I have to login by selecting the login twice, once for each login screen.

Again, this is actually correct behavior for 1Password. As I mentioned above, 1Password does not fill a form on a site unless/until you take an action to have it do that. On a website with a multi-page login process (i.e. the username on the first page, the password on the second page), you'll need to use the 1Password extension once on each page. To make it a bit easier, you can use the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut instead of clicking the 1Password extension.

Sorry for all the confusion! If you have more questions about that, please let us know. We're always happy to help! :)

• kbacpa
    kbacpa
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the additional details and for taking the time to get back to me on these issues. I was able to get the automatic login on the second page working again, but it took a convoluted path and raised a second question of how one of my other 2 page logins is working "automatically" given your answer.

First, the automatic fill-in of the password on the second page of the verizon log-in is not related to Firefox's password management. Not only had I already disabled Firefox's password management, but I was able to get the automatic fill-in of the old password to not occur by removing the ?onepasswdfill=xxxxx from the end of the website URL (and then re-occur by adding it back).

Additionally, following your link to information about the 1Click Bookmark, I was able to find the ID of a login with the correct password and copying that in place of the ID that was there, I was able to get the Verizon 2 page login to work again as before with the new password. I can now chose the login entry once from the list and 1Password goes to the website, fills-in and submits the username and, when the next page comes up, it fills-in and submits the password.

I did a little additional investigation and realized that I had accidentally chosen the ID from the new login I created when I re-created the multi-page login from scratch. It appears that two different login entries are required to make this work. If I changed the ?onepasswdfill=xxxxx to point to "itself", it would not automatically fill-in the password on the second page. If I had the two logins "point" to each other, then both would automatically fill in the password on the second page.

I have never had a previous version of 1Password, but I did briefly download the trial version from the Agilebits website to try it out before I purchased in the App Store. Is it possible the the ?onepasswdfill=xxxxx was somehow pointing to an old login from that installation?

So the Verizon multipage login is now working as it was, but it requires the ?onepasswdfill=xxxxx to point to a 2nd login to make it work. This was probably happening before, but I could not see the 2nd login in my list.

That being said, I realized that I have another 2-page login that works automatically as well, but that one does not have a ?onepasswfdfill=xxxxx entry in the URL. To check whether the same thing was happening, I changed the password on that account. Although I had to manually update the password in the login (edit the login and paste the new password into the password field), it is still working automatically--one selection of the login submits the username on the first page and the password on the second page automatically. Any ideas how this is working?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @kbacpa,

I've done some testing with Verizon, since I have an account there, and I'm unable to reproduce the behavior you are describing.

Here is my setup:

I've found no way to cause 1Password to fill on the 2nd page without activating the 1Password extension.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding?

If you disable the 1Password extension (making no other changes from when your password is automatically filled on page 2) is your password still filled on the 2nd page?

Please let us know.

Ben

P.S. What is the URL of the site in question in your last paragraph?

• kbacpa
    kbacpa
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry I was not as clear as I could be in my explanation. Here is my setup (I have substituted dummy IDs for the long alpha numberic actual IDs):
    Login #1: ID=ABC123, website = login.verizonwireless.com/amserver/UI/Login?onepasswdfill=ZXY987, login contains my username and password
    Login #2: ID=ZXY987, website = login.verizonwireless.com/amserver/UI/Login, login contains my username and password

If I select login #1 from the 1Password mini login list, I see the complete URL show up in the browser address window. The username is entered and submitted, the second page comes up (this time the ?onepasswdfill part is not in the address window) and the password is automatically filled in and submitted. If I change the ?onepasswdfill part to ?onepasswdfill=ABC123 (so it points to "itself") or remove that part of the URL entirely, the second page of the login is not filled in automatically.

I did not really want to maintain two login entries for the site, even for the convenience of a completely automatic 2-page login, so I deleted login #2 (got the move to trash confirmation and it disappeared from my list of logins). To my surprise, the automatic login continued to work (i.e. selecting login #1 from the 1Password mini drop down list continues to automatically enter the password on the second page of the login). When I removed the ?onepasswdfill part of the URL with the ID of the item in the trash, the operation reverts to the expected operation you describe.

I think this explains how I got into this situation in the first place. At some point I started replacing logins I had made completely manually (typing or copy/pasting all the information) with logins created using the 1Password extension. I think I was having difficulty finding the Verizon Wireless login page that was available from the URL and did not require one to click "sign in" before entering the login credentials, so I copied and pasted the URL from my original 1Password login into my browser address window. This probably pasted the ?onepasswdfill=ID of the original login so it was picked up by the new login I created. When I deleted the original login entry, I did not see a problem but I was apparently still using that entry in the trash to supply the password for the site.

I will have to wait until this evening to try your suggestion of disabling the 1Password extension (I assume you are referring to the 1Password browser extension). Just to be clear, I am not using a browser bookmark at all to activate the login, I am selecting it from the 1Password mini login list. I only used the 1Click bookmark process to find out what the ID was of a particular login so I could update the ?onepasswdfill=XXXX id in the 1Password login.

The URL of the other website is secure.capitalone360.com/myaccount/banking/login.vm. I tried, but I am also unable to reproduce the behavior of the automatic entry of the password on the second page with the normal login creation process. I was able get the automatic login (password entry on second page) to work by creating two new logins as in the Verizon Wireless case. Some additional information... I found that the first login needed to have my username and a password (I did not confirm that it needed to be the correct password) and a ?onepasswdfill entry in the URL pointing with the ID of the second login. The second login only needed to have the (correct) password.

Again, I appreciate your time looking into this. I am very happy with the 1Password product even if the completely automated 2 page login is not working (or is not even supposed to work).

• kbacpa
    kbacpa
    Community Member
    Options

OK. Some additional information that may help sort things out...

With the 1Password extension disabled in Firefox, Firefox goes to the website, but the username is not filled-in. Interestingly, when I re-enabled the extension, the completely automatic login for the capitalone360 website no longer works. Perhaps I should say that the multi-page login now works as expected, with no fill-in of the password on the second page until I re-select the login. I'm not sure I understand what happened, but it is probably best not to be relying on a mechanism that is not understood for password entry.

I am still able to create a multi-page login that works automatically with two logins. I created the procedure below to document all the steps I went through so you can hopefully re-create it:
    1. Create a multi-page login with the procedure on the AgileBits website--create the login with the username and then update it with the password. Call this login Test2.
    2. Sign out of the website.
    3. Change the settings in 1Password mini to not submit logins.
    4. In the main 1Password application, double-click on the Test2 login just created. This will bring up the first page of the login in the browser and fill-in the password. It is important to double-click the login entry in the main 1Password window so that ?onepasswdfill= is added to the address. Notably, the ID here is the ID of the Test2 entry.
    5. Select Save new login from the gear menu in 1Password mini, call it Test1.
    6. Close the tab that was opened in step 4.
    7. Change the settings in 1Password mini to submit logins.

If the Test1 login is selected from the 1Password mini menu it should now perform a completely automatic 2 page login (opens the webpage, fills in and submits the user name and, when the second page comes up, fills in and submits the password to log in). The automatic login process does not work when the Test1 login is double-clicked from the main 1Password window because the ?onepasswdfill=XXXX in the address is replaced by the ID of the Test1 login and the 1Password extension will not re-call the same login--perhaps this behavior avoids the possibility of an infinite loop.

So, getting back to my original issue... It appears that my problem was that I accidentally hardcoded a reference to an old login in a new login's website address and that 1Password still allowed reference to this item even after the old login was thrown in the trash.

After all that, I do not really like having the 2 logins cluttering up my list and the keyboard shortcut you mentioned is convenient enough for submitting the password, so I will probably just use that process going forward. Thanks again for your help in mostly figuring out what was going on.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kbacpa,

Thank you, I learnt something new reading all of this. I wouldn't have ever thought of altering the URL like that. It has certainly been enlightening reading this. It sounds like you've found an acceptable workflow but doesn't hesitate to post in if you have queries or issues going forward.

This discussion has been closed.