Known issue with 1Password and Ad-Aware [Lavasoft folks are working on it]

Options
jlcarpenter
jlcarpenter
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

When I try to use the 1Password helper with Chrome, I receive a message saying the helper is not running. I have tried to restart the helper along with the suggestions made in this thread of the forum https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/37440/chrome-extension-not-communicating-with-1password-helper-moved-to-email. I am using Ad-Aware as my virus/spyware scanner.

James

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Have you tried disabling Ad-Aware?

• Rossi
    Rossi
    Community Member
    Options

also on my system not working any more since last update of onepassword!!! deactivating ad-aware/ad-blocker did not help.
    ANYONE A SOLUTION???

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

Based on the user guide from Ad-ware, can you try this and see if it works:

1. Open Ad-aware, go to Network Protection > Advanced Settings > Applications Rules and click on Add.
    2. Next to Program Path: browse to your Program Files (x86)\1Password 4 folder and select Agile1pAgent.exe.
    3. Check the Any button for Local Address to allow the local traffic for 1Password
    4. Now, for the rest: protocol is any, direction is both, IP version is any and permission is allow.
    5. Now press Save to save the rule.
    6. Close your browser, open the main 1Password application, and go to the Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper. Now, open your browser and see if 1Password works now.

In addition, if that doesn't work, please follow all of the tips in this article to see if anything works: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows-kb/4/en/topic/troubleshooting-extensions-win

• Hi everybody!

To give you some more information.
    We're in contact with the fine folks at Lavasoft about this problem.

They've narrowed down the problem to a third-party component in their software that is causing the WebSocket connection between the 1Password Helper and the 1Password extensions in Firefox, Chrome, and Safari to be silently blocked.

The really bad thing is, that the user has no way of consistently controlling this behaviour. In some cases the process of adding an exception for 1Password will work, in others it won't. Not even disabling the code signature verification in 1Password's Help menu will result in success all the time.

Lavasoft's development team has been nothing but forthcoming with their help and they're dedicated to getting this issue fixed as quickly as possible.

In the meantime you can use the Internet Explorer 11 to fill existing data in the browser and save new logins in 1Password.
    The Internet Explorer extension doesn't rely on the WebSocket protocol and is not affected by this bug.

We will post any new information about this situation in the forum.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• kcvanhout
    kcvanhout
    Community Member
    Options

I am running Windows 7, 1Password 4.3.0.556, Chrome extension 4.3.1.90. When I right-click on the browser extension button I get a context menu, but nothing happens when I select "1Password". If I left click, either nothing happens, or this page opens and says "Welcome to the 1Password Extension": https://agilebits.com/browsers/welcome.html. I have toggled the "verify code" option in the 1Password application, and that hasn't made a difference. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the extension, and no luck. I am running LavaSoft Ad-Aware antivirus and MalwareBytes Malware software, neither of which are on the list of programs that might cause a conflict. Please help!

• MikeT
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi @kcvanhout,

Unfortunately, it's a recent bug in a third-party component they use in Ad-Aware, they're still working on it as far as we know. You can find out more about what's going on in this thread.

There isn't a way around it beside using IE for now or remove Ad-Aware until they fix it.

• MikeT
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi @kcvanhout,

I've merged your thread into the thread that I mentioned, please read the post from AlexHoffmann a few posts up.

• kcvanhout
    kcvanhout
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any kind of timeframe on a resolution?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @kcvanhout,

They haven't given us that information. It's not either 1Password or Ad-aware but a third party code they're using in Ad-aware, which means they have to wait for that third party company to fix it first before it goes to Lavasoft before it goes back to us.

• The_Zorch
    The_Zorch
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike, I was wondering if there is any word on this fix yet? Thanks

• MikeT
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi @The_Zorch,

No progress from their third party company as far as we are aware.

This discussion has been closed.