restore backup from 1Password3 to 1Password5

Options
morejanus
morejanus
Community Member

I'm running 1Password Version 3.8.22 (build 32010) on 10.9 and trying to move my database to my new Mac running 10.10 and 1Password5. I do not use iCloud or Dropbox. I am trying to restore from a Backup. When I backup my 1Password3 file I get a file called 1Password 2015-03-11 085922 (521 items).agilekeychain_zip

When I copy this to my new Mac and try to select it with 1Password5 and select "I've used 1Password before" and restore from Backup, it does not recognize this file as a valid backup.

What do I need to do to get my data from 1Password3 to 1Password5? I've looked through all the agilebits website and documentation I can find and it seems to indicate that this should work, but ...

Thanks!

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @morejanus,

Sorry for the confusion - the backup files from 1Password 3 are in a bit of a different format than backup files from 1Password 4 and 5. But it's still pretty easy to use that file to restore your data in 1Password 5 on the new Mac. Just follow these steps:

• Rename the backup file to: 1Password.agilekeychain.zip
    • Double-click that file to unzip it, and it will now be named 1Password.agilekeychain
    • Open 1Password 5 and if you haven't already done so, set it up as a new user to create a new vault
    • Go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences
    • Select Sync, then choose Folder from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu
    • Choose the 1Password.agilekeychain file

This should restore the data from your backup file. Hopefully you're all set now, but please let us know if you have any questions about that - we're always happy to help! :)

• morejanus
    morejanus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Drew_AG, that worked. I had tried different extensions and unzipping combinations before posting, but to no avail through the "Restore" option. It's a bit odd to have to say "I'm new to 1Password" when all the doc's say to click "I'm already a user" .... perhaps a note to this effect for "Legacy" upgrades similar to what you have for the iOS versions :-)

Thanks again!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @morejanus,

I'm glad to hear that worked! Sorry for any confusion about that. It's actually possible to choose "I've used 1Password before" and sync the data from the 1Password.agilekeychain file, but I wasn't sure if you had already gone through that part of the setup already, and it's just as easy to set it up as a new user and sync with that file. But you make a good point, we should have that documented somewhere, so I'll let someone know. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.