Upgrade to iOS 8; whither sync?

Options
iphoneuser
iphoneuser
Community Member

I had to upgrade my iPhone 4s to iOS 8 in the process of unlocking it. The problem was iTunes would not install 1P when I restored the phone, presumably because iTunes had updated the version of 1P past compatibility with iOS 7. I had been successfully syncing using iCloud with whatever version of 1P was installed (it has/had the same icon as version 5 as far as I can tell. Was it version 4?) and my Mountain Lion computers. Now I see that the latest version of 1P requires Yosemite. There is no way I am upgrading to Yosemite right now (not supported where I work). Do I have options for syncing (not doing Dropbox either for various reasons)? I also have a version 3 of 1P that iTunes has kept around.
I wish I hadn't done the unlock at this stage and just paid the roaming fees.
Thanks.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @iphoneuser,

Dropbox is the only sync method that will sync 1Password 5 for iOS (the version for iOS 8) and 1Password 4 for Mac. The only alternative would be to upgrade to Yosemite to enable Dropbox and iCloud syncing (iCloud sync requires 1Password 5 for Mac from the Mac App Store).

1Password 3 for iOS is no longer updated, and there is no guarantee of compatibility with iOS 8. The only way it can sync is over WiFi with 1Password 3 for Mac.

Sorry I don't have a better answer. Dropbox would be my recommendation.

Ben

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member
    Options

Ben
    Thanks for the reply. Alas. I was stupid I guess; I forgot that I could have re-downloaded an iOS 7 compatible version of 1P from the App store.
    So I enabled iCloud sync in 1P 5. It went through the sync process which means my vault is sitting on an Apple server somewhere and not syncing to any other device. Meanwhile my Mountain Lion Macs (desktop and laptop) are syncing through another iCloud server (or different iCloud system), is that correct? So if I enable dropbox sync should I just enable it first for one Mac to make a copy on dropbox before enabling sync on the other Mac and my phone? Going forward, is there any downside to switching back to iCloud sync (with these various vaults hanging out on Apple servers) when I eventually have to update to Yosemite? Also, I see an option for WiFi sync on 1P 5. Does that work with 1P4 for the Mac?
    Thanks for your time.

• Ben
    Options

Meanwhile my Mountain Lion Macs (desktop and laptop) are syncing through another iCloud server (or different iCloud system), is that correct?

Yes.

So if I enable dropbox sync should I just enable it first for one Mac to make a copy on dropbox before enabling sync on the other Mac and my phone?

Exactly. :)

Going forward, is there any downside to switching back to iCloud sync (with these various vaults hanging out on Apple servers) when I eventually have to update to Yosemite?

I don't see much if any advantage of iCloud over Dropbox if you already have a Dropbox account. On the other hand Dropbox works across more platforms than iCloud, and supports 1PasswordAnywhere ( http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-1pa.html ) which iCloud does not.

Also, I see an option for WiFi sync on 1P 5. Does that work with 1P4 for the Mac?

I actually couldn't find a definite answer to that off hand, and I don't have a Mac with v4 handy to test against. You're certainly welcome to try it... Worst case is that they are unable to sync. If you do give it a try please do report back your findings.

I don't believe they will sync, but I can't say for sure.

Sorry I don't have a better answer on that last bit.

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, the WiFi sync works, at least the one time I tried. It did cause 1P on the Mac to become unresponsive for maybe 10-20 seconds (pegging the cores in my MBA) but it eventually recovered and a test item was successfully synced.
    iTunes should not upgrade apps beyond the installed iOS, but that is feedback I will share with Apple.
    Thanks for your help.

• Ben
    Options

Yes, the WiFi sync works, at least the one time I tried. It did cause 1P on the Mac to become unresponsive for maybe 10-20 seconds (pegging the cores in my MBA) but it eventually recovered and a test item was successfully synced.

That is excellent news! Thanks for sharing. I'll be sure to make a note of that. Sorry I didn't have that answer ready for you initially.

iTunes should not upgrade apps beyond the installed iOS, but that is feedback I will share with Apple.

A fair point.

Thanks for your help.

You are most welcome! If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member
    Options

I am not sure this is a long term solution. I tried the WiFi sync again (after a couple of weeks, just a few new items and one edit) and 1P on the Mac locked up as before but never recovered. The temperature on my SSD zoomed up. I eventually killed 1P. On relaunch everything seemed okay but it obviously is worrisome behavior.
    On a side note, what is the correct URL to use for "open and fill" with 1P?
    Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

I am not sure this is a long term solution. I tried the WiFi sync again (after a couple of weeks, just a few new items and one edit) and 1P on the Mac locked up as before but never recovered. The temperature on my SSD zoomed up. I eventually killed 1P. On relaunch everything seemed okay but it obviously is worrisome behavior.

For sure. If it happens again please do send us a diagnostic report right after.

On a side note, what is the correct URL to use for "open and fill" with 1P?

It is different for each login item you have. Dragging the login item from 1Password to your browser's address bar will take you to the URL.

Thanks!

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member
    Options

Ha. Sorry. I meant these very forums. I figured it out: I had to right-click on the sign in link to open it in another tab. I used that URL and all is good.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iphoneuser: Ah! Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm glad to hear it is working for you. Be sure to reach out if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.