I don't recognize my password hint

Options
Koopk
Koopk
Community Member

I recently restarted my iPhone 6 plus and was asked for my master password. I tried what I thought was the correct password, but eventually I was given a password hint that made absolutely no sense. Is there anything else I can try? I have tried every password I could possibly have used to no avail.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Koopk,

Has anyone else used your device? What sync method do you use, if any? If you do sync, do you share any of the other devices, or the sync account itself, with anyone?

Please let us know.

Ben

• Koopk
    Koopk
    Community Member
    Options

No one else has used the phone. I sync wirelessly to my computer at home. Yes, I share other devices however I have not accessed the app through them.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Koopk,

While we have recently fixed a few bugs relating to syncing and Master Password changes it is probably worth knowing that Wi-Fi Sync doesn't at all. So it depends a lot on how you set up 1Password initially. In 1Password 5 for example you can say you're an existing user and you want to sync using Wi-Fi. That would use the Master Password from 1Password on the desktop. If you created a brand new vault though with it's own Master Password and then set up Wi-Fi Sync that Master Password would still apply and that could be a problem if you haven't being using it on a regular basis and maybe believed it wouldn't be used after the Wi-Fi Sync.

Could any of this apply to you?

Unfortunately if you really can't remember the Master Password I hope you synced recently and that your desktop is up-to-date. If it is the easiest way forward may be to delete 1Password (which will delete the vault), download 1Password again and then populate a fresh vault from your desktop.

Let us know what you think and if you have any questions please do ask.

• Koopk
    Koopk
    Community Member
    Options

The only location I ever entered or used the app is on my iPhone 6plus. I have never loaded it on any other device. This is crazy as I have entered all of my passwords with the thought that they were all secure. Now because of some unknown password hint I will have to obtain new passwords for every one of the accounts. This doesn't seem to be a very good product if this is going to happen.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

@Koopk: I'm sorry that you're having trouble. But unfortunately AgileBits has access to neither the data you store in 1Password nor the Master Password (or hint) that you set up.

I sync wirelessly to my computer at home.

and

The only location I ever entered or used the app is on my iPhone 6plus. I have never loaded it on any other device.

Maybe I am misunderstand something, but I can't see how both of these things can be true. If you truly do not use 1Password on the computer but someone else does and you are syncing the two, that might explain why you're getting a vault with a Master Password and hint that you do not recognize.

Be sure to try the steps in our guide to see if you are able to get into the app; but, failing that, you will need to start over.

It is not possible for someone (including us, and we make the software!) to access or change your 1Password data (including the hint, which was set up when the vault was created) without your Master Password. So either the hint you are seeing was created by you mistakenly (or you have since forgotten), someone other than you set up the vault when it was created and gave it both the hint and Master Password (in which case, it is essentially their vault and not yours), or you have sync'd (or restored) someone else's 1Password vault (perhaps through iCloud or an iTunes backup...or possibly the iPhone came with 1Password already on it, from a friend or relative perhaps).

I'm sorry I don't have better news for you, but hopefully one of my thoughts here prove helpful. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

This discussion has been closed.