considering purchasing; usage scenario for two people

Options
cshea
cshea
Community Member

My wife and I have some passwords and user names that we share (say, our bank account, netflix), and others where we have different ones (google is the obvious example, also amazon, various stores, etc).

Would a shared 1password account work for us?

Comments

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

@cshea

I kinda have that situation but, in my case, it applies to only one login - mine. My wife doesn't even use 1P with her login. In any event, I manage our money and I use 1P. In the case of our IRA accounts, I have two logins. I use the Safari bookmark to get to the appropriate financial site. I hit cmd-\ and a screen appears giving me the choice of "Carol" or "George."

In the case where the financial institution uses two login pages, one for username and one for password, I have Carol-1, George-1, Carol-2 and George-2,

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@cshea I'm unclear from your post whether you and your wife use different user accounts on the same Mac or whether you use separate Macs. I suspect it's the former (in which case this reply won't help) but in case it's the latter have a look at this knowledge base article about multiple vaults. (I've assumed you're talking about 1P4 or 1P5.)

Stephen

• cshea
    cshea
    Community Member
    Options

@Stephen_C We use separate macs (and separate iPhones), and I also have an office PC. That link was helpful. I don't quite get the vault system yet, but it sounds like we could have a vault that we share, plus our own individual vaults.

@Plato So what happens if your wife wants to log in to her IRA account (I realize you do the finances, but let's say she wants to check out her balance)? I'm assuming--maybe I'm wrong--that she can't, since she doesn't use 1P.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

it sounds like we could have a vault that we share, plus our own individual vaults.

That's right.

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    Options

@cshea

No problem. She logs onto my computer login and uses CMD-\ just like I do. Actually, the explanation is theoretical. She has never wanted to check her balance using the web.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cshea,

It looks like the others here have already given you some great information. I just wanted to add that, if you have some information you want to keep private/separate from your wife's information, you should keep that in your Primary vault in 1Password. Then you can create a secondary vault for the information you and your wife both use, sync that secondary vault with Dropbox, and share that vault with your wife.

Stephen gave you a link to this knowledge base article about multiple vaults, which should be helpful for you. In addition, here's an article that will explain how to share a vault with your wife: Share a vault

If you have more questions about that, please let us know!

This discussion has been closed.