Suggestion on pop up asking you to update login

Options

I had a suggestion when you are on a website, and the 1Password window pops up asking if you want to "update" the login. If inside the box, it tells you what it is wanting to update to. i.e. XX login ID update to YY login ID.

When I get the pop up asking me if I want to update the "login". I don't know what is being updated.

I've had some issues of finding login data that is wrong. For example in a login item. I noticed looking through it that the username was an e-mail address instead of the login ID username. Only way I can think of that got screwed up was during an "update login" request. Maybe when changing the e-mail address that account uses, 1Password updated thinking it was the new "username" or something.

Comments

• MikeT
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @baker,

Thanks for writing in with another suggestion!

If inside the box, it tells you what it is wanting to update to. i.e. XX login ID update to YY login ID.

Do you mean something like Changing [username1] to [username2] in the auto-save prompt?

We'll think about it, we rarely get this type of request to show more details as most people just want to move on. If you're not sure about what it is saving, you shouldn't replace your Login but instead save it as a new Login item and get rid of the older item when you test the new item.

Maybe when changing the e-mail address that account uses, 1Password updated thinking it was the new "username" or something.

When you changed the email address, did the site ask for the password too? The reason I ask is that 1Password does not consider your username when analyzing if there's something to save, so that shouldn't be the cause. We only look at the site's domain name and the password first before we prompt to auto-save/update your Login.

In addition, we do offer the option to only replace the password without changing the rest of your data:

• baker
    baker
    Community Member
    Options

Do you mean something like Changing [username1] to [username2] in the auto-save prompt?

Yes I would say something like that. When it asks if you want to "update" your login item. I don't know what it is wanting to update. But there's been a few different times when I found errors in a login item, and the only thing I could think of is something went wrong when it did an "update" item or something. Or just erred when creating the original login and I didn't notice it.

When you changed the email address, did the site ask for the password too?

There were times when I updated the password and e-mail address at the same time. Don't know if it could have been that or something else screwy. But yes I did forget about the "change password only" option.

Weird. I was just scrolling through my login items. Found one that had e-mail as username instead of my login ID again. And the other one had a short number as my username instead of my login ID.

I logged in both of those sites with the correct username and password. And it didn't ask me to update or add a new login. The website logged me in and 1Password didn't noticed the difference. So I deleted those login items. Relogged in and 1Password asked me to setup a new login item.

Also noticed a couple of usernames that were blank in some login items when scrolling through.

I'll have to keep a better watch at it.

One problem with just adding a new login item to then maybe delete an old login item. Is that you would lose your password history.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @baker,

Filling and saving logins is more of an art rather than precise science because each site is unique in how they present their login forms and how they handle the updating information process. We are continuously improving our algorithms to adapt to the edge cases but we need to know about these sites in order for us to test it and make sure our change works for it.

If you come across some weirdness like this again, please ping us and let us know which sites.

There were times when I updated the password and e-mail address at the same time. Don't know if it could have been that or something else screwy.

That'd explain it because to 1Password, it looks like a Login you're saving, not something you're updating when it sees a username and a password. It is not perfect yet and in fact, we're working on the updates to both the 1Password application and the browser extensions for Chrome/Firefox/Safari, that will have a major improvement in this area. It may not arrive in the next few updates but it should in the near future as we're still heavily beta testing it at the moment.

Found one that had e-mail as username instead of my login ID again. And the other one had a short number as my username instead of my login ID.

It's usually due to our algorithm not being able to understand which field holds the username, which is also due to how the site is designed. Most of the times, you can quickly fix this by editing the item in the 1Password application, go to the bottom of the item and click into the designation column of the right username row to select the username option like in this screenshot:

So if you look at the screenshot, if locationalInput was set to username, that'd show up as empty username. If you switch it to the email field, it'll then use testing@test... as the username. These field values were captured from the website itself as 1Password saves it.

• baker
    baker
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe you could also have a username history as well? Just in case it gets accidentally changed and you use a bunch of different usernames so may be hard to remember what it was.

• MikeT
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @baker,

Maybe you could also have a username history as well?

It's certainly an open request in our tracker. It would probably be useful to do something like a Time Machine for your items, so you can go back in time and see changes with the option to selectively revert them.

• baker
    baker
    Community Member
    Options

This is Windows. So I do not have the Time Machine.

But since there is a risk of a username easily getting overwritten with bad info. I think a username history would really help. Especially if you have different usernames for different sites.

I have had to use the password history before when a new password didn't take for whatever reason that got updated in 1Password.

• MikeT
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @baker,

This is Windows. So I do not have the Time Machine.

That's not what I meant. What I meant is that it's better if the application has something like it, so that you can see the changes made to your items over time. So, if you notice your username is missing or wrong, you can click to undo or go back in time to see what changes were made and you can then select to restore the bad change. So, in this case, you go back yesterday before the update was made and restore the username to save it. So if the rest of the fields are fine but not the username, you only need to fix the username.

Such a feature would work on any of your items and fields like attachments, URLs, note content, and so on. It'd rely on your backups or something else to see the changes over time.

• baker
    baker
    Community Member
    Options

Are you referring to the backups you can make of 1Password to go back to for reference? Or is this "Time Machine" some kind of program?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I think @MikeT is referring to a feature he'd like to see implemented, not one that currently exists.

Time Machine is an Apple backup program.

• MikeT
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @baker,

I do apologize if it is not clear. Like Richard said, I'm talking about a brand new feature we should try for 1Password in the future, maybe a better name is item's revision history for the idea if that makes more sense. Basically, every single revision you make to your item over time, you can view all revisions at once or go through it manually to find the right data you need.

This discussion has been closed.