1Password for Windows triggers Windows to go into an unresponding state.

ardiefox
ardiefox
Community Member
edited March 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I ticked the 'Unlock on Secure Desktop' option on, and before today it was working just fine.
But now, this is all what I get when I try to unlock 1Password:

Nothing is possible but only Ctrl+Alt+Delete works.
Of course, upon waiting 30 seconds the normal 1Password main window appears, but this is extremely annoying.
Is there anything I can do to solve this problem?

Comments

• Hi @ardiefox,

Can you tell us what version of Windows you're using? Does it happen each single time or just randomly? You should turn the Secure Desktop feature off while we work with you to figure this out.

Do you have a third party anti-malware solution installed on your computer and if yes, what's its name and version? Can you look at its logs to see if it was doing anything strange when you were looking at the stuck Secure Desktop view?

The Secure Desktop feature does rely on Windows, so if there's something wrong with it, it can cause some issues like this.

• ardiefox
    ardiefox
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

Hi @MikeT,

here is a good news: I figured it out.
    I tested my antivirus software after reading your reply, and Avast is definitely disabling 1Password's Secure Desktop feature. I tried the unlocking the app after turning Avast's File System Shield and everything is working green.

FYI:
    I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro K (which is a Korea specific version), and my antivirus software is Avast Free Antivirus version 2015.10.2.2214 with its virus definition version of 150316-0.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Odd. I never had any issues with Avast on Windows 7.

• I've just installed the same exact versions of Avast Free Antivirus on my testing machines (one in English, one in German) and I wasn't able to reproduce the problem.

Do you use any other security related applications on your PC? We've seen in the past that Korean users are very security conscious and sometimes use a multitude of fairly invasive programs to shield themselves from malware.

• ardiefox
    ardiefox
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

Those security related applications you mentioned are not relevant in this case. Actually, Korean users are NOT that security conscious; those multitude of fairly invasive programs are automatically installed to their computer when accessing various financial related web sites including banks, home trading systems, and so on. This is because of the law that enforces financial industries to apply so called 'Secure Connection' programs (which probably is what you were meaning upon 'security related applications'), and the people are just instructed to 'Click on YES when a "yellow bar" asks for your permission', not properly informing what those installers are installing. Fairly large portion of Korean internet users are unaware of what kinds of "security ensuring ActiveX applets" installed on their computer; just like the Pavlov's Dog experiment, they mechanically click on every kind of YES button when it appears.

Anyway, that is not a problem for now. I have those "security" programs on my computer before purchasing 1Password, and they are not active unless I manually turn them on to use online banking service. And I'm pretty sure the Avast is causing the problem here because of that little experiment I did yesterday.

I will try hard resetting Avast to factory default and tell you if that resolves the problem.

• ardiefox
    ardiefox
    Community Member

Problem solved.

It was the 'Hardened mode' of Avast that disabled Secure Desktop. After resetting the antivirus to factory default, I tested few options one by one. After ticking 'Enable Hardened mode' on, Secure Desktop stopped working.

So, I guess this is the end of this little happening; it was my fault after all. :blush:
    Thank you @MikeT and @AlexHoffmann for your aid.

• Hi @ardiefox,

Huge thank you for tracking this down and sharing your experiences with us. We're going to test the hardened mode and see what happens. We'll follow up if we need anything from you.

Also, none of this was your fault. It's just one of these compatibility issues we need to work out with Avast and hopefully, they'll agree to make the Hardened mode compatible with 1Password.

Again, thanks!

This discussion has been closed.