The unlock dialog in Firefox is dismissed when turning on the 'caplock' feature

dhess01
dhess01
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hitting capslock has the effect of entering the password and closing the Masterpassword unlock window. Click the extension icon and the winow will reopen, telling you that capslock is on. Toggle off caps and the window disappears again. Didn't have this issue before upgrading from 1password 3 to 4.

Comments

• MikeT
    edited March 2015

Hi @dhess01,

Can you tell me what versions of the following you're using:

1. the 1Password application
    2. Windows
    3. Firefox and the 1Password extension installed in Firefox
    4. If different from the default US keyboard layout, which keyboard layout are you using?

I'm not able to reproduce it, each time I pressed the capslock, it shows me a warning that it is on but it doesn't enter the password for me:

• dhess01
    dhess01
    Community Member

Hey there,
    Has been an issue for me across versions of 1password 4. The current config is:
    1. 1password for Windows 4.5.0.575
    2. Windows 7 Pro SP1 (all updates applied)
    3. Firefox 38.0.5/ 1password addon 4.3.1
    4. English Canada (US) (tested w/ US English as well: no change)

Yep, in 1password for Windows, I get the capslock warning message. But with the FF extension, I invoke the unlock window via ctrl+\, I begin typing lowercase, then hit capslock and the window disappears. Likewise, if capslock is already on when I press ctrl+\ and then press capslock again to turn it off, this has the same effect of making the window disappear. I've tested with the beta version of the FF extension and had the same mileage.

• Hi @dhess01,

Thanks for writing back, it's been a while.

I matched your settings as much as I can and I am not able to reproduce it.

Can you tell me if you see any issues with using the shift key? The behavior you're describing sounds like the 'esc' key was sent, not the 'enter' key. If it was the 'enter' key, you'd get a prompt saying the password is incorrect. So, I wonder if there's anything on your computer that is also sending 'esc' with 'cap-lock', do you use any third party tools on your computer that modifies how your keyboard or mouse behaves?

The extension does not have a UI, it issues a command to our 1Password Helper to bring up the native UI which is bundled with the main program. So, it should not matter what version of the extension you have, it'll be the same. It's also the same UI across the browsers including Internet Explorer.

Can you test in IE and confirm it is the same behavior if you can.

• dhess01
    dhess01
    Community Member

HI MikeT,
    No, with the Shift key everything works as expected. I tested the addon with IE v11.0.96x and Chrome 43.0.2x and have the same results as in FF. Safari 5.1.7 on Windows works AOK.

To my knowledge there is no third party tool installed that is intercepting and replacing a keystroke. The capslock key does not display this behaviour in any other application or when doing non-1password tasks in my browsers.

Weird that Safari works. Maybe this is an Apple "feature" of iCloud for Windows? ;D

• Hi @dhess01,

That's weird, like I said, it's the same native UI for all browsers unless you're using an older extension in Safari.

We might be able to find something in your diagnostic report. Please use this guide to generate a diagnostic report to email to us and, in the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can look for it, and confirm we got the email.

• dhess01
    dhess01
    Community Member

Ok, I sent the report off. Hopefully it provides some answers.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dhess01: Thanks! I see we've received your email, so we'll continue there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: HDK-14427-595

This discussion has been closed.