Blurry/old rich icons

Options
smeador
smeador
Community Member
edited March 2015 in Mac

Many of the rich icons that get filled in through the 1Password app are blurry or are old logos. This is true even for websites with high-res favicons and apple-touch-icon files. I understand these logos are cached, but it seems like they aren't getting updated very frequently.

Attached is an example. Full disclosure - I work at Slice, and would like to see this working for our product.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Have you turn off Rich Icons and then turned it back on? In the Preferences.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @smeador ,

If Hawkmoth's suggestion doesn't work, please let us know! We certainly want Slice looking lovely in 1Password too.

(I've moved your post into the Mac discussion, since we're talking specifically about the Mac app here, and not 1Password's filling on a specific site.)

• dpalling
    dpalling
    Community Member
    Options

It's a shame that rich icons are only available in Login category. It would be really good to have them for other categories such as reward programs and bank accounts, etc.

• dteare
    Options

That's a great point, @dpalling. Rich icons would look great in Reward Programs and Bank Accounts.

This would be a great addition to 1Password in a future version. Thanks for the suggestion!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @dpalling ,

Rich Icons are also available for several others - I can see them for Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, and Software Licenses.

Edit: Bank Accounts do not have rich icons.

If an icon is not available for some entry, you can edit the entry and paste your own.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @smeador,

I've just tried creating a brand new Login item for Slice so I can see what you mean. I'll investigate and see how we go about updating our cache :smile:

--Edit--
    I've submitted a ticket regarding this, it should hopefully just be a matter of time before we get something a little less pixelated.

ref: AGW-186

• rob
    Options

Hi, @smeador. I've updated the icon for slice.com on our server, and you should see it in the apps within 24 hours.

Right now, our icon cache is pretty much static except for manual updates. We're working to get our image retrieval service up and running again soon.

• dpalling
    dpalling
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MrC. But in those other catergories, the icons are not generated automatically just by adding the website to the record

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Options

@dpalling,

Sorry, I was wrong about Bank Accounts. I'd forgotten I had added my own icons to all my Bank Account entries.

For Software Licenses, some software has icons, some does not. For example, I created a new Software License and simply entered the title Doom, and saved. The icon appears. But there is not icon, for example, for Battlefield 1942.

For Credit Cards, the rich icon is triggered off the type field. Create a Credit Card entry, set type to MasterCard, and save. The Mastercard icon will appear.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dpalling,

So there are a couple in there. As you know, if there is a Rich Icon available (and you have the feature turned on), Login items pick up a rich icon based on the website field.

The icons for the different card types are resources included inside of 1Password and so don't disappear when Rich Icons are turned off (at least for me).

Icons for Software Licence items are slightly different. There may be an associated Rich Icon on the server but it also checks your Applications folder and will pick up the icon from there. In my testing it didn't seem to like my custom folder in /Applications so I don't think it will trawl through everywhere.

As Dave said, the idea of expanding this to other areas is an appealing one so who knows what we'll see in a future version :smile:

This discussion has been closed.