Opening iOS app with finger already on home button causes app to freeze.

Options
syedzq
syedzq
Community Member

Hello,
First of all thank you for a wonderful service and app. It's great knowing everything is secure.

My issue is as follows: when opening the 1Password app on iOS 8 (8.2, though the issue has existed since 8.0) with Touch ID auth. enabled in 1Password, placing your finger on the Touch ID sensor while the app opens causes the app to show the Touch ID dialog, open the app, but then darkens the screen and does not allow any touch input. The home button does not work, as the dialog shows up again, and the only way to exit this is by pressing the sleep button and reopening the app.

This isn't a major issue but still an annoyance. It'd be great if this could get fixed!

Thanks,
Zaid

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi Zaid ( @syedzq ),

Thanks for the kind words! As for the bug, our developers are aware of it, and are reaching out to Apple for assistance with it.

Thanks!

ref: OPI-2068

• star-affinity
    star-affinity
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm also having trouble with this.
    Also when opening 1Password and getting the ”Touch ID for ”1Password”" dialog, a press on the home button – without pressing ”Enter Password” or ”Cancel” – doesn't do anything. If pressing ”Cancel” after one has pressed the home button, 1Password crashes.

But maybe you already knew this…

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@star-affinity: Indeed! I do this all the time. I am patient with many things, but for some reason I am always in a hurry with Touch ID! ;)

As the B-man mentioned, we are aware of the issue and are working both in conjunction with Apple on a fix, and to see if there is a workaround on our end. Unfortunately this is connected to the Touch ID system itself, and we of course do not have access to make changes to how those APIs work. Happily, Apple is on the case as well! :pirate:

For the time being, if you (and me...) can be a bit more patient with Touch ID that can avoid the glitchy behaviour. I hope this helps! :)

• syedzq
    syedzq
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff @brenty Thanks for the quick replies! I was not sure if it was an issue on your end, but since it only happened with 1Password, I thiygt I might hit the forums anyway.

Thanks for the great support!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @syedzq,

I'm glad you decided to visit and report the issue. It might have been that it hadn't been reported already, it might have been we were still very much in the discovery phase and could have used your assistance in pinning down the issue (this particular one for example doesn't happen to all users just to make it trickier) or maybe we can report back with either a workaround or the happy position of stating the fix is in the beta and should be in the next stable release. So many great reasons to visit the forums for this :smile:

If you have any further issues or queries please don't hesitate to post!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@star-affinity - No one addressed your report about what happens when you tap Cancel on the 1Password Touch ID screen. The application isn't crashing. It's closing down. That's the developers' intended behavior. There have been some long discussions about whether that should be what happens here in the forum. The options that appear on that screen are coming from iOS, not 1Password. The issue is what to do with the information that a user has selected that option. I don't think there has been any resolution on that, but there has been active discussion of the matter.

• Hi @syedzq ,

Have you tried the new 1Password 5.3 update, released last night. We worked very hard to put in a lot of fixes in this release, and believe we've fixed that one. We'd like you to try it again and see if it still happens for you. Please let us know if it does.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.