Why won't 1Password log me into my apps?

Options
Chyllo
Chyllo
Community Member
edited March 2015 in Mac

Hi Agile Bits Team,

I purchased 1password for Mac just a few days ago and have been having a ball setting up my passwords for websites, deleting all the scraps of paper and bits of old docs or stickies that I kept around with login information. 1password is GREAT! and I have no regrets purchasing it.

I have it installed on my Mac at home (Lion) and my Mac at work (Yosemite) and I'm already using it for iOS on my iPhone too... and will probably upgrade to pro.

BUT! Here's the problem...

NOWHERE in your setup instructions, guides, or walkthroughs can I find simple information about how to store login info applications! For the last two days I have been trying to find the right method for storing logins for applications like Skype or for user passwords, like login info for other user accounts on my different Macs. Let alone, information for storing login information for version control / software repositories.

After lots and lots of googling, I've gleaned that 1password doesn't work directly with apps on Mac OS X. It does for some apps in iOS that developers have opted in and offer support for 1password. In cases where I'm storing login information for OS X apps that need a username and/or pass, you just have to copy the username / password out of 1password and paste them in when prompted. (I think).

Thats all fine and I don't expect miracles... I know it would be difficult to incorporate your third party app into every app's login procedure. But could you PLEASE PLEASE point this out in your user guides or knowledge bases, giving a quick tutorial or address this issue? It's been driving me crazy trying to find somewhere on the net where this is specifically pointed out.

What makes things even worse is that my version of 1password 3 that I'm using at home with Lion, has an option to add login items for instant messenger, but this isn't the case for 1password 5 on my Mac at work! Confusing? You bet! I wasn't sure if there was something really simple that I'm missing, or that's just the way it was done, or who knows????

So please, let me know I'm on the right track and if I am, could you please save others the pain and frustration I've gone through trying to set things up good and proper.

Again, I already feel like I've gotten my money's worth, being able to throw out the pile of scrap paper with login material thats been following me for years. I'm ready to tell everyone I know to take the plunge and get their own copy of 1password, but I'm just a little hesitant because of the above frustration.

I see your responses on the forums are quick and really helpful, so I know you appreciate your customers.

Thanks for making such a necessary product and offering it to the public.

Best,
Chad

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I can't comment on the state of documentation, but I can observe that, however you did it, you are indeed on the right track. I'm sure the AgileBits folks will be informed by your post. And I know they listen.

Also, your post is timely, because they recently have released a new version of the Knowledge Base and are eager for feedback about it. There is even a special section of this forum, down the page, that is just for posting feedback on the new Knowedge Base.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Options

@Chyllo,

I suppose the point about only working with Websites could be mentioned more directly; it currently is mentioned passively.

Categories

Saving a Login in the browser (the recommended way to create a Login) will capture all the relevant information to allow 1Password to fill it for you: username, password, and website.

Logins

Each item holds a set of login credentials (username and password), along with the URLs of one or more sites where 1Password can use the credentials to fill a login form.

I'm sure AgileBits will respond here soon...

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

@MrC - That's indirect in the extreme, I'd say. It only addresses native applications by omitting mention of them. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

What's left unsaid speaks loudest. :-)

• Chyllo
    Chyllo
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC and @hawkmoth - Thanks for backing me up. @hawkmoth, that's a great FYI about posting feedback for their new Knowledge Base. I'm a product manager / producer for iOS apps and often times have to write tutorials and guides. It's great to be able to get feedback on those and know if its helping your users.

They really don't mention the primary focus being web logins. Its great that it can serve as a repository for so much other info, and don't get me wrong, being able to copy/paste secure passwords saved across all my computers and devices is still a great service. But it would have saved me two days of searching through guides on agile bits site, and countless other sites and youtube videos.

I learned a whole lot of other cool things along the way, but it just wasn't plainly stated anyway that this was the case.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@Chylio - I'd be happy to move this thread into that feedback forum if you like. That would save your having to recreate it there. Let me know.

• Chyllo
    Chyllo
    Community Member
    Options

@hawkmoth - Sure, if you think that's where this thread belongs, then by all means move it on over. My only concern is that people who are looking around for an answer to the question I had are able to find it easily. I guess as soon as an official answer is posted or confirmed by AgileBits.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I'll leave it alone, at least for now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

@hawkmoth, @MrC: Thanks for chiming in! Indeed, we're currently migrating and revamping the documentation for our new knowledgebase, and the feedback is greatly appreciated!

It's important to remember that, while 1Password is great for storing information of almost any kind securely, it wasn't designed to handle everything, and therefore not all information fits neatly into one of the categories. Instead, with a few key functions in mind, we've expanded it so that, with a little creativity, one can customize items without the app itself having to account for all the various uses.

@Chyllo: I think that the discussion you've started, though, has less to do with documentation than it does with just what 1Password (for Mac, in this case) is designed to do, and what features it offers; so I think this is as appropriate a place as any. I hope you don't mind, but I am changing the title to better reflect the great discussion we're having here. 8-)

I do appreciate you starting this conversation, Chad. I think at the heart of it is an interesting philosophical discussion -- and I love those! While I can see it both ways, the general consensus seems to be (and others are free to add their thoughts here if they have a different view) that we want to take the time to tell people what 1Password is -- and what it does -- rather than what it isn't -- and what it doesn't do. As you can see reflected in the product page, 1Password is all about storing information securely, and one of its banner features is its integration with major web browsers to fill website logins.

As confusing as software (and technology in general) can be, we're hesitant to muddy the waters further by listing un-features in the 1Password description and documentation. It would be like having the following on packaging for a toaster:

Modern Chrome 2-Slice Toaster
    + Silver colour
    + Plastic material
    + Toasts both sides simultaneously
    - Not black
    - Not nonstick
    - Not for baking or microwaving

I know: that's a ridiculous metaphor. But it would be even more ridiculous if someone actually put this in their product description. And in the case of both the toaster and 1Password, someone needs to create the marketing materials. Decisions must be made. And whether from a user-experience or marketing point of view, spending 'cycles' (time, energy, etc.) on what 1Password is good at is probably the best use of our not-unlimited resources. So, for instance, rather than touting 1Password 5's lack of support for the OS X (and iCloud) Keychain, we focus our own format and the benefits it brings.

That said, I am going to bring this up with the rest of the team and see if we need to be clearer in some areas. There is always room for improvement. If you have specific ideas or suggestions, we'd love to hear them! :)

And finally, to answer your question about 1Password logging you into apps on your Mac more directly: while iOS 8 has added support for an extensions framework that allows apps to work together in some ways (such as 1Password and the many apps that support it), OS X isn't quite there yet, so there isn't any way for 1Password to log you into Skype, for instance. But if and when this changes, I feel confident saying that we will be all over it!

As kind as you were in your praise of 1Password (and for that, we humbly thank you!), more than anything we want to keep making it better. For all of us! :chuffed:

ref: DOCS-446

• dteare
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for helping us understand what you need in the Knowledgebase, @Chyllo! I agree completely that we need more content there and to better explain how to use 1Password.

An article about "How to fill logins in other apps using 1Password" would be a great addition. Within it we could mention:

• On Mac we don't integrate directly with apps and so you need to rely on copy and paste.
    • On iOS several apps integrate directly with 1Password and others don't.
    • On Windows we don't integrate directly with apps but you can use Auto-Type.
    • On Android you can use the custom keyboard to fill many apps

That would be a great article. Thanks for getting the discussion started on this. Please let us know other places you think the Knowledgebase could help you better.

Cheers!

ref: DOCS-447

• Chyllo
    Chyllo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Guys... It's been a couple days since I was able to check back in on this thread, but I'm happy to see your responses and they are completely valid! It's great to know that in some small way I might be able to help you improve the documentation on this matter.

@brenty Of course you want to focus on what 1password is good at and I know how marketing can get sensitive as to how to communicate the features to their potential customers in a positive and honest manner. The change of title for this thread is absolutely appropriate, and that is essentially the question I was trying to ask. It would have been the title I was looking for :)

@dteare proposes a great solution. That would have answered my question and got me on my way to continue learning all about the rest of 1password's features, as I am doing even now.

Again, its not bad that at this point it's a matter of copy/paste, I just wanted to know that was where the software is at the moment. I still find it incredibly useful and will likely get my family started with their own versions of 1password and help them get it set up and humming like I've been doing with my devices.

One solution I'm curious about however, and I haven't had time to look into it yet, but is it possible to create an automator script that could handle the task of opening up your apps and automatically filling in the correct info? Sorry if this is answered somewhere else already, but it sort of occurred to me while writing this.

As much as I can I look forward to helping you refine your documentation and making it even easier to get up and running. I'm a product manager and producer who does this with apps all the time, so I know where you guys are coming from.

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and respond with some really great feedback. There's nothing better than having purchased a good piece of software, only to find out the people behind it are really committed to their customers and making the product even better. Cheers! Have a great weekend and I look forward to seeing this product grow beyond expectation.

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Chyllo: I did some digging since I haven't used Automator in years, but couldn't find anything that seemed like it would work for more general copy/paste automation like you described -- only very specific flows.

As much as I can I look forward to helping you refine your documentation and making it even easier to get up and running. I'm a product manager and producer who does this with apps all the time, so I know where you guys are coming from.

We really appreciate this! Be sure to let us know if you see any other areas that could use some filling out. Granted, as it stands we have a pretty good idea about the holes that need filling, but having a different perspective is invaluable. I'm sure you'll notice more things that we've overlooked!

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and respond with some really great feedback. There's nothing better than having purchased a good piece of software, only to find out the people behind it are really committed to their customers and making the product even better. Cheers! Have a great weekend and I look forward to seeing this product grow beyond expectation.

Your kind words of encouragement mean more than I can even tell. This is what drives us. We don't have a choice but to constantly strive for excellence in order to match the generosity and support shown by you and the rest of our amazing customers. Thank you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.