Backups located in 1 Password 4 folder and how to centralize in 1 Password folder in Dropbox folder

Options
njlangford
njlangford
Community Member

My main dropbox folder (not the 1 password folder) contains backup files and they're also being stored locally in a 1 Password 4 folder (and I've been using 5 since it's launch). Both locations contain backups from as recently as within the last month. How can I consolidate my backups in my 1 Password folder in Dropbox and not locally or in my main dropbox folder? I've attached a couple screenshots for clarity.

Thanks!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @njlangford ,

Thanks so much for providing such a detailed report! I love seeing screenshots - it makes life so much simpler sometimes. :)

Now, 1Password will always make its backups to that default location in the Application Support folder. (As an aside, we're still using the '1Password 4' folder name because version 4 and version 5 share a lot of the same code.) We've found that having backups made to a default location is the best way to ensure that they are there when users need them. Back in version 3, we saw too many cases of users moving their backups to a removable storage drive, for instance. If that backup drive became disconnected, the user could be left without any backups.

Of course, if you prefer to keep your backups stored in Dropbox, you can certainly remove most (I hesitate to say 'all') of the backups stored in the Applications Support folder.

I'm sorry I don't have a perfect answer for you here, but I hope this helps!

• njlangford
    njlangford
    Community Member
    Options

That's clarifying, any insight into how I can get the backups saving to Dropbox to save in the 1 Password folder?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @njlangford,

I took a closer look at your screenshots, and I think the backups in Dropbox are from 1Password 3 because they appear to end in .agilekeychain_zip (backup files from 1Password 4 and 5 end in .1p4_zip, as shown in your second screenshot). Also, the location for 1Password backups can't be changed in version 4 or 5, but it was possible to do that in version 3. So I suspect you might still have 1Password 3 installed on your Mac (or possibly another Mac that uses your same Dropbox account), and it is set up to create backups in Dropbox.

What you would want to do is find the 1Password 3 app on your Mac. By default it is named 1Password.app and has the older icon with a key on it. Assuming you find the 1Password 3 app, open and unlock it, then go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar. Select the Backup tab, and click the file path for the Backup Folder to choose a different location. In case it helps, the default location for 1Password 3 backups is: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups (Please note this is different than the "1Password 4" folder.)

Now, assuming you're no longer using 1Password 3 (in which case 1Password 5 should have all your most recent data), you probably don't even need to keep the 1Password 3 app on your Mac at all. In that case, please feel free to delete 1Password 3 from your Mac by dragging that app to the Trash (don't use any app cleaning utilities, as they might accidentally delete data files for 1Password 5).

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have more questions about that! :)

This discussion has been closed.