Best Practices to migrate to 1Password Generated Passwords

Options
Arleen
Arleen
Community Member

I have install 1Password on my MAC, my iPhone and my iPad. I use wifi to synch the three. I now have all my logins in my vault and I am happy how it is working. Now, to improve my security, I would like to start replacing some of my existing login passwords with 1Password generated passwords. I have lots of logins so I am not going to do this in one day, but would like your recommendation in the best way to approach this.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

If you take a look at this knowledge base article you'll find it sets out in detail the procedure you should follow when changing a saved password (assuming you're using either 1P4 or 1P5).

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Arleen,

Improving your security is a great idea! I hope that the link Stephen provided is telling you everything you need to know, but if you have any further questions, we're happy to help!

• Arleen
    Arleen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for this. However, my question wasn't regarding the "technical" part of the how to, but more on the "business" part of the how to. In other words. If I have 120 passwords. How should approach that number. Should I change the most important ones first - Like my bank account. Or should I change the most used first - like linkedin. Or should I change the most hacked ones, like Amazon. Or should I change them in alphabetical order, changing 10 or so a week. Thanks.

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member
    Options

I would change the ones for financial data like banks and credit cards immediately. Anything like Amazon that would have your credit card info next. I find that it's quick and easy to change passwords. A goal of 10 a week seems a bit paltry IMHO.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Arleen,

There are many ways to prioritise but like Dianeoforegon I would say start with financial websites such as your bank, PayPal etc. before moving onto stores that have your payment details e.g. Amazon and combine this with other sites as you use them e.g. LinkedIn. If you have accounts at sites that are known to have been compromised I would escalate those up the list, especially if you haven't changed your password there yet. As for how many, I would keep at it and try and change the important ones in the first few days. You can rattle through quite a few in a short period of time once you get used to 1Password and even 10 a day split over a couple of sessions won't feel too much like a chore. Once you've got past financial, commonly used sites and stores you can ease the pace a little if you wish and work on the others. You might find the Security Audit section of 1Password helps here to identify where you should go next.

Does that help at all?

This discussion has been closed.