Chrome extension password input very, very slow to type into

Lox
Lox
Community Member

I've been having this problem for a long time, finally fed up with it. Whenever I unlock my 1p vault via the chrome extension it's agonisingly slow to enter the password. I enter it quickly and then it ticks along 1 character every 500ms or so.

I've disabled all my chrome extensions, I'm on chrome 41.0.2272.104 (64-bit). I've got the most recent 1password and the most recent 1password Chrome extension. I've tried re-installing 1password.

Anyone had this issue, or any solutions?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Lox,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the 1Password extension in Chrome! That's definitely unusual, I'm not sure I've heard of that happening before. To help us figure out what's going on, we'll need to know a few more details:

• What exact version of Mac OS X are you running?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed? (From the main 1Password app, go to the menu for 1Password > About 1Password)
    • Are you using the web store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • What exact version of the 1Password extension is installed in Chrome? (From Chrome, go to Window > Extensions)
    • After disabling all the other extensions in Chrome, did you restart Chrome?
    • Have you restarted your Mac to see if there's any difference?
    • Is there any problem entering your master password in the main 1Password app?
    • Do you use the 1Password extension in any other browsers? And if so, does it have the same problem?

Thanks in advance!

• Lox
    Lox
    Community Member

OSX 10.10

1Password 5
    Version 5.1 (510035)
    Agile Web Store

Extension: 1Password Beta 4.4.0.1 (Just swapped to the beta to see if it helped, this has happened on all extension versions for 6 months)

I restarted Chrome, and my mac, and had a sleep on it too. All of these before and after disabling extensions.

Tried Safari, problem doesn't seem to happen there, but that looks like it's more of a native app than a browser extension? I don't have any problems with the main 1password app either, just the Chrome extension.

• Hi @Lox,

Interesting. I'm running all the same versions you are and do not have this issue. Do you have any tools installed that watch what you're typing (such as TextExpander)? In System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Accessibility do you have any apps checked?

Could you please unlock the Chrome extension then create a diagnostic report immediately following?

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the Report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

Thanks!

Ben

• chmars
    chmars
    Community Member

Same problem here. Do you have any news?

TSR-16292-858

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chmars,

I'm sorry you're also having trouble entering your master password in the 1Password extension in Chrome!

We received your Diagnostics Report, and I've updated the email thread with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Thanks!

ref: TSR-16292-858

• Sbomb
    Sbomb
    Community Member

I have had the same issue for the past month or two in both Safari and Chrome. I've turned off TextExpander but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I am also sending in a diagnostics report. Thanks for your help!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Sbomb,

Thanks for letting us know you're having this problem, and for sending in the Diagnostics Report. I see that Lars has already responded to your email, so we can continue the conversation via email to hopefully resolve the issue for you. :) Cheers!

ref: VGF-44255-954

• marcellom
    marcellom
    Community Member

Hello, I have the same issue. I might have noticed something: the typing freezes if the first letter of the password is capital and you need to use Shift + letter. Can you guys confirm?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @marcellom,

Can I ask, do you have multiple Chrome profiles at all and do you ever see this issue if you completely quit Chrome, launch it and attempt to unlock your vault from a single tab with a single window open?

In the back of my head I know we've had certain quirks with Chrome due to timing issues which I thought, but will need to confirm we'd adjusted. Can you let us know what versions of everything you're running please.

ref: OPM-3069

• marcellom
    marcellom
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

Hello,

Yes, I have only one chrome profile (and guest browsing enabled). I just tried and it happens even if I close 1pass and chrome, close my mac air, reopen chrome and try to unlock 1password chrome app. It gets almost stuck, the wheel of the cursor starts spinning and the keys are not entered.

Chrome: Version 44.0.2403.107 (64-bit)
    1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.4.2.90
    OS X Yosemite: 10.10.4 (14E46)
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)

• marcellom
    marcellom
    Community Member

I'm pretty sure the capital letter as first letter of the password is one of the factors involved in the problem.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @marcellom,

It might be one of the factors but it's trying to narrow down the others. I did try to replicate before posting but I couldn't, not with either the Mac App Store stable or our AgileBits Store beta. So there must be something else involved.

I don't think guest browsing is a factor. It seems to be enabled by default and if you then activate guest browsing mode you don't have access to the 1Password Chrome Extension. Equally I tried Incognito mode just on the off-chance but still no delayed input of the password.

I see you're running the latest version of Chrome, extension and Yosemite so it seems reasonable safe to say you're running either 5.3 of the Mac App Store version or 5.3.2 for AgileBits Store.

How reproducible is this issue, can you get it to happen often enough that if you were to try this in a different browser and even with another application in focus (so using ⌥⌘\ to open 1Password mini) that you could pretty much state unequivocally that this is just a Chrome issue? If that is the case can I ask, do you have any other extensions installed and enabled? Would you mind testing with just the 1Password Chrome Extension to see if we can narrow down the pool of suspects.

Sorry about all of this, as soon as we can identify why we can work on resolving it. As you can imagine, it's so much easier if we can replicate from the off as then we can worry about this rather than having to ask for assistance.

• marcellom
    marcellom
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

Hi @littlebobbytables, I made a video to show you and this time it acted even weirder than usual:

removed by AgileBits

Besides all the initial mess of the popup not showing up, then moving around, once I was able to type the password
    you can clearly see how 2 characters are filled in "fast" (it was a test), then I deleted and tried to enter a capital letter and it got stuck again.

(by the way, the spinning wheel is not recorded by quicktime)

I had all the extensions disabled except for one which I forgot, but I tried again later disabling it and the result was the same.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015

Hi @marcellom,

I've removed the link to the video just as a, probably overly paranoid, reaction to seeing you had Skype visible with names that maybe you didn't intend to show.

That was really messed up from what I could see. 1Password seemed to be lagging massively and the video seemed to be more about getting 1Password mini to appear at all than the issue at hand (which I did notice at the end).

I wonder if reviewing a diagnostic report might help.

I would like you to create the following Diagnostic Report please. This guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

ref: CFJ-88966-725

• ralfhein
    ralfhein
    Community Member

Hi There,

I am having the same issue, OSX 10.10.4, latest Chrome Version, latest 1P version.

The issue is not limited to the Chrome/Safari plugin however, typing the password into 1P mini is also agonizingly slow. It also seems to "skip" keys if I type with normal speed, so I have to enter the password again and again very slowly to gain access.

I also observed that using a capital Letter seems to slow things down even more.

Anything I can do or send over to help track this down?

Thanks - Ralf

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ralfhein,

For the previous gentleman a reboot cured the issue. Something wasn't working properly but it was surmised by the team member that assisted that it wasn't specifically with 1Password. When was the last time you rebooted your machine? it might be worth trying :smile:

• ralfhein
    ralfhein
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables,

silly me, that actually solved it, seems like a Mac is not quite like a Linux box and 43 days uptime is to long ...

Sorry for bothering you with this :blush:

So if anybody experiences the same - a reboot is worth trying!

Have a great weekend - Ralf

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

It's not a bother at all @ralfhein, in fact you've helped me confirm that the best first course of action should I see this again is a reboot so thank you :smile: I hope you have a great weekend too :smile:

• jmccarthy
    jmccarthy
    Community Member

I am experiencing the same problem. For me, the problem mirrors @marcellom's experience -- mixed-case password with lots of symbols; every modifier key pressed (shift, alt, cmd, ctrl) induces a ~500ms pause before the actual character is accepted. Only the browser extension master password field is impacted, the full 1Password app does not exhibit the problem.

Chrome 44.0.2403.125 (64-bit)
    1Password 5 Version 5.3.2 (532001)
    Lucky 181 36"x34"
    OS X 10.10.4 (14E46)

• jmccarthy
    jmccarthy
    Community Member

Reboot also resolved my problem.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I wish we could pin down why the reboot helps, as in what was the cause but that one might be the case of looking for an angel on the head of the pin in the haystack rather than the easier task of just locating the needle.

I would love to understand, although I'm happy we at least have a solution. I think I need to speak to the devs at this point to see if there is anything we can inspect to learn more.

• dominik
    dominik
    Community Member

This still has not been fixed.

It drives me nuts.

It only happens when depressing Shift (e.g. first letter of the password is upper case).

When I change my password that starts with a lowercase letter, the problem instantly goes away (without restarts).

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015

Hi @dominik,

Sorry for your frustration here. Thank you for letting us know this issue is affecting you as well. As far as I know, we have still not been able to pin down the exact cause of this problem, but if you'd like to send us a Diagnostics Report, it may give our developers more data to investigate possible causes. At the very least, it would probably help to know your 1Password version, 1Password extension version, and Chrome version number.

In the meantime, as I understand it, the workarounds include: reboot, change your Master Password, use a browser other than Chrome, or unlock 1Password in the main app or Mini, rather than the Chrome extension.

ref: OPX-1048

• dominik
    dominik
    Community Member

Got it, thanks! I will send the diagnostic report also.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB)
    Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite
    Chrome Version 44.0.2403.155 (64-bit)
    1Password Version 5.3 (530029) from Mac App Store
    1Password extension for Google Chrome v4.4.3.90

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for that, @dominik! When you send the Diagnostics Report, it would be helpful to include a link to this thread and your forum handle, and/or comment here with the Support ID# that you get in the automated response email. :+1: Cheers!

• dominik
    dominik
    Community Member

I have done that and my support ID is [#TJQ-89978-548]

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015

Much appreciated, @dominik! We'll have a look and get back to you via email. :)

ref: TJQ-89978-548

• ausalpha
    ausalpha
    Community Member

Hi. In case it helps having another voice, I'm also experiencing this. It's irritating, but that's about the size of it. For me, it's an uppercase character in the middle of the master password, and hitting shift causes the lag. Happens in Chrome and Safari, but not the app.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, OSX 10.10.5

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015

Hi @ausalpha,

Thank you for providing another data point here. At this point, I honestly don't know if this is something we'll be able to fix or if it's just a quirk of OS X, but we do still have an open issue for it in our bug tracker. Would you please also let us know what version of 1Password you're using on your MacBook Pro, and whether any of the workarounds I mentioned above resolve the issue for you? Thanks in advance! :)

ref: OPX-1048

• ausalpha
    ausalpha
    Community Member

Thanks @Vee , a reboot seems to have helped. I don't do those very often these days! We'll see if it sticks.

I'm running v 5.3.2 of 1Password.
    Thanks

This discussion has been closed.