Chrome extension password input very, very slow to type into

2»

Comments

• Steve_Joyner
    Steve_Joyner
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update @ausalpha. I'm glad the reboot helped!

• jarledb
    jarledb
    Community Member

Having the same problem. Both with 1Password Mini and with Chrome. Happens after I hit an uppercase letter in the password.

1Password version 5.4 (540046), on OS-X 10.10.5. Chrome version 6.0.2490.86 (64-bit). iMac 5K 2014.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jarledb,

I'm sorry you're also having this problem! Others in this thread have said that rebooting their Macs helped. Can you please try that and let us know if it makes a difference as far as this problem goes?

• jarledb
    jarledb
    Community Member

Thank you. While that works, it seems more like a "power cycle your device" type answer than a proper fix, if you don't mind me being blunt.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jarledb,

I'm glad the reboot works! And no, I don't mind you being blunt at all - you're correct that it's not a proper fix in that it doesn't permanently solve anything, and it could happen again at some point. But the problem is that this isn't necessarily a bug in 1Password - it could be due to something else which is beyond our control.

For example, the master password field is a standard NSSecureTextField, which we really have little control over, as we're just using functionality provided by the operating system. That field itself isn't necessarily the problem, but it could be affected by other issues on the computer. It's possible that some other background processes on your Mac got stuck and were "gumming up the works". Things like that can happen without any warning to the user, and can cause slow-downs and other kinds of problems. There's often no way to know what the culprit is.

Of course, that doesn't mean we're just assuming the problem is coming from something else, and we do have an open ticket for this while our developers look into that strange behavior. So far they haven't found anything in 1Password to explain the problem. One thing that makes it difficult is that I don't believe we've been able to reproduce this on our end. They'll continue looking into it for now, and in the meantime, if the problem happens again, you should be able to reboot to improve things.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that! If you need more help or have other questions, please let us know. :)

ref: OPX-1048

• cruisso
    cruisso
    Community Member

Hi, Just to add another vote for this issue, I am having the exact same issue, my password starts with a capital letter so it starts lagging right away. I am running:
    Chrome Version 46.0.2490.86 (64-bit)
    OS X 10.10.5
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

In order to replicate you would have to have your computer running for quite a few days I am guessing...

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cruisso,

Thanks for letting us know, and I'm sorry you're also running into this problem! Does rebooting your Mac help to solve it (at least temporarily)?

ref: OPX-1048

• davidbehan
    davidbehan
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

Also having this issue. Using:

• 1P 6.01,
    • OS X El Capitan,
    • Chrome Version 47.0.2526.111 (64-bit)

Definitely something to do with using capital letters in password. As soon as you switch to upper or lower case, it stalls for a second and then continues. Quite annoying. Tried a restart but doesn't seem to have fixed it. Also noticed it happening in the search facility in the chrome extension.

It's only started happening in the past few days and the only difference I can think of is I started using 1P for Teams a lot more and have had the team transfer many passwords in. Could that be slowing things down maybe?

I will try another reboot in the meantime.

• davidbehan
    davidbehan
    Community Member

Update - I restarted Chrome and 1P mini. That seemed to solve it... for now.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm really glad to hear that seems to have solved the problem for you! It's still something our developers are looking into and it's possible you might run into it again at some point, but if so, restarting should help. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. :)

• castielone
    castielone
    Community Member

My solution was to restart 1Password Mini since my whole computer is responsive only 1password was sluggish, so it only made sense that 1pass was at fault and since 1p in Chrome works though the mini, I figured restarting mini will help and it did.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! I'm glad restarting mini helped (and sorry you were having trouble with that in the first place). If you need anything else, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

• IPvFletch
    IPvFletch
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

I found this thread after searching in frustration. I too had this begin happening about 2 months after beginning to use 1password. Unlocking the vault was incredibly slow for typing characters. I finally troubleshot it down to just uppercase letters. Restarting Chrome did NOT fix it. Restarting BOTH 1Password Mini AND Chrome FIXED IT... at least until it happens again...

I just got notified of a 1Password update today, so I'll be installing that and will keep this thread in mind in case I notice it again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about that! I'm sorry the slowness caused some frustration for you. If it happens again, you might want to try restarting just 1Password mini to see if that helps, and if so, at least that's a bit easier than restarting both mini and Chrome. You might also try rebooting your Mac, as others have reported that helps as well.

If you need more help or have other questions, please let us know! :)

• Ditmar
    Ditmar
    Community Member

I have the same problem when I'm pressing Shift to input last letter of my master password. Please, fix this issue. Why agilebits team resolve this problem more then one year?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forums @Ditmar! I'm sorry to hear that this frustrating little bug is still popping up for you, and I appreciate you taking the time to let us know that it's still an issue. Our developers are working on a solution. I think @Drew_AG's comment above (this one) best explains why it's taken so long to figure out the exact cause of the problem. For now, it seems that rebooting your computer fixes things, at least temporarily.

This discussion has been closed.