iCloud Sync Issue between 1PW iOS & 1PW MAS

Options
pbGuy
pbGuy
Community Member

My overall setup for detailing this iCloud Sync issue: (1) 1PW MAS 5.1 on 10.10.2. (2) 1PW 5.2.1 on iOS 8.2 devices (iPhone 6 64GB & iPad Air 2 64GB). (3) 1PW Primary Vault only has 172 items; 2d Vault has 41 items (syncs via Dropbox). So, only 213 items between the 2 Vaults.

Initial Note: Prior to 3/23/15, iCloud Sync, between my 1PW iOS devices and my 1PW MAS, worked flawlessly.

Indication of a sync issue, was evidenced on Monday 3/23, when I did an edit in 1PW iOS on my iPhone. …After several minutes of making this edit, I checked 1PW on my iPad and found the edit had not synced (after seeing the sync activity icon take an unusual length of time on my iPad; previously, this activity icon would twirl about 1 or 2 seconds).

When I went back to my 1PW MAS, which I don’t keep active unless I’m actually using it at my desktop, the 1PW iOS edit done on my iPhone had also not synced to my 1PW MAS. …I then made an edit in my 1PW MAS, and subsequently after several minutes, checked 1PW on both iOS devices which revealed the 1PW MAS edit had not synced after the watching the activity icon, on each iOS device, take longer (about a minute or so) than typical to complete.

Given I was seeing a consistent, incorrect iCloud sync (which previously had been rock solid) and the activity icon, on both iOS devices, was now taking an inordinate length of time to complete, I checked the 1PW MAS Pref Sync tab and found that its iCloud sync activity icon was now also taking similar, extended time to complete.

I subsequently checked my 5GHz WiFi Network, which has been very fast and stable through my 4th Generation Airport Extreme, by doing a Speed Test and found I continue getting excellent speed (50Mbps download) through Safari on my MacBookPro.

At this point, I felt the 1PW iCloud sync was somehow corrupted. As result, I decided to attempt a radical fix by the following steps:

1) On my 1PW MAS, I switched the sync from iCloud to Folder, using the 1PW folder in Application Support, where a new, keychain file was successfully created. (I also did a Vault backup before and after this sync change to insure my Primary Vault was safe on my 1PW MAS.) Once I reassured myself 1PW MAS was properly syncing locally by making some edits and confirming the changes after quitting and reopening 1PW MAS, I proceeded to Step 2.
2) On each iOS device, I deleted the respective, 1PW iOS app and subsequently deleted the 1PW db file from iCloud Storage as shown on both iOS devices in Storage Documents & Data. After deleting those files, I did restarts on both iOS devices to confirm those 1PW db files were no longer being shown when I viewed Documents & Data on both devices. [Note: I’m only using - before & after - about 30% of my overall, iCloud Storage.]
3) On my 1PW MAS, I changed the Sync from Folder back to iCloud. After allowing this initial iCloud sync to complete, I again made some minor edits. After quitting and reopening 1PW MAS, it appeared the iCloud sync was working properly since the newly made edits were there. (I did notice, however, the sync activity icon, under the Sync tab in MAS, was still taking longer than previously when iCloud sync completed in several seconds.)
4) After waiting about 30 minutes, I re-installed 1PW iOS on my iPhone and proceeded to set-up as a New Vault. (I initially attempted to set-up with an Existing Vault, but 1PW iOS did not find an iCloud file.) When I completed the 1PW iOS, New Vault set-up as iCloud sync, no details from my Primary Vault were imported.
4.1) Stumped at this point about how best to proceed, I decided to use my 1PW MAS as a 1PW WiFi Server to export to my iPhone. Initially the WiFi Sync seemed to work properly, but found the WiFi Sync only exported about half (80) of the 172 items in my Primary Vault to my 1PW iOS. After several attempts of initiating WiFi Sync from my 1PW iOS, this sync method finally got all 172 items into 1PW iOS on my iPhone.
4.2) I then switched the sync both for my 1PW MAS (doing this one first) & 1PW iOS back to iCloud Sync. …Again, I noticed the sync activity icon on 1PW iOS devices was taking up 30 seconds to a minute to complete; but upon checking the Sync section in each 1PW iOS, it showed the sync had completed and provided the ongoing clock count from Last Sync.
5) Upon subsequently making edits on my 1PW MAS, 1PW iOS was not syncing (even though the sync completes) since the edits, from 1PW MAS, are not appearing in 1PW iOS.
5.1) I attempted all Steps between 1 and 4 with a re-install of 1PW iOS on my iPad. Results were identical to results on my iPhone.
6) Also, previously I was able to reliably (add &) switch between my Primary Vault & 2d Vault, syncing via Dropbox, on my 1PW iOS both on my iPhone & iPad. (I can still do so with my 1PW MAS.) When I attempted to Add this 2d Vault to the newly installed, 1PW iOS, the process - after momentarily going over to my Dropbox app for permission - shows me the Archive Vault keychain file, but when I select it & enter my Master Password, my Master Password is not recognized. [Note: When initially I log into any of my 1PW apps, entry of my Master Password works reliably.]

I now sense my radical fix did not resolve the cause of this overall, sync issue. [BTW, I have another MAS app and respective, iOS app that uses iCloud Sync; these apps have / continue successful, iCloud sync updating. So, I don’t believe the 1PW iCloud Sync issue resides with iCloud itself.]

I hope all the above detail provides a clear picture about what’s been happening and how I unsuccessfully attempted to resolve. If one of the fine, AgileBits Support staff can provide a step-by-step instruction about how to complete a successful, iCloud Sync reset, I’ll be very grateful.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pbGuy: I'm sorry to hear that you're having these sync issues! Just to clarify, iCloud Sync will only sync your Primary Vault between devices. I just want to make sure we're on the same page with that. And I really appreciate knowing the OS and 1Password versions you have, as that can sometimes be part of the problem.

In regard to sync'ing seeming slow or unreliable, it can be helpful to reset each device as well as the router, since there are so many points of failure when dealing with wireless networking. I would start there, and it sounds like you had at least considered that yourself. Much easier than resetting iCloud completely, so we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. My trusty Time Capsule tends to silently start welching on me now and again too, I'm afraid: everything works fine except one thing won't, so that can lead me to jump to conclusions, too. :)

Doing those resets often resolve the issue right off the bat. But if you're still having trouble we'll need to go a bit more in-depth. First, make sure you have a current backup of your 1Password data -- just to be sure.

Next, follow the steps in our iCloud troubleshooting guide. I know that some of this may seem redundant, but the order can matter, especially when it comes to resetting iCloud Drive and relogging into your iCloud account.

Finally (also at the bottom of the iCloud troubleshooting guide) do the following: reset your 1Password iCloud data to start fresh, and then
    set up iCloud Sync from scratch.

And in the unhappy instance that it still isn't syncing properly, the best thing to do would be to generate a diagnostic report in 1Password Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics (under Log Settings enable Sync) > Send Diagnostics so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening. Please also include a link to this forum thread in the email as well as your forum username so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    Options

I am on the same page with you about only the Primary Vault syncing via iCloud. ...In Item 6 where I detailed attempting to Add my 2d Vault, which was always synced via Dropbox, after re-installing 1PW iOS, I mentioned since the Add process wouldn't recognize my Master Password (which I know well) when I got to that step in the Add process. Anyway, I will worry about adding this 2d Vault, on my iOS devices, once I've sorted out the iCloud sync issue. ...My 2d Vault, if needed, is currently available through my 1PW MAS.
    I'll follow the iCloud troubleshooting guide, as well as resetting my 1PW iCloud data, and advise results. ...This will be my project Friday AM.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pbGuy: Excellent. I suspect that the Master Password issue may be related to the shifting around you've done to try to resolve the sync issue. Could it be that one vault is being confused with another as a result, and therefore requires a different Master Password than the one you were trying? Definitely worry about the secondary vaults once the primary sync issue is resolved.

Be sure to let us know how it goes. We're here if you need us! :)

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I deleted all the 1PW data from iCloud, as instructed in the Reset 1PW iCloud data instructions. Upon initiating the re-enable of iCloud Sync from my 1PW MAS (where I deleted the data upon disabling iCloud Sync) and subsequently re-enabling iCloud Sync on my iPad, I found that my 1PW iOS Primary Vault, on my iPad, wasn't fully in sync with 1PW MAS Primary Vault. Subsequently and through the 1PW MAS Help->Troubleshooting menu, I did the "Reset iCloud Data" to delete all data again, and Sync was set to "None." Going back to my iPad, I did an "Erase all Data from iOS Devices."
    Going back to 1PW MAS, I attempted to re-enable iCloud Sync, but several minutes into the process, I received an error message saying "operation couldn't be completed. (CKErrorDomain error 4.)" ...? ...I had my MBP ethernet connected to my LAN during all this; so, I know there weren't any transmission issues through my network.
    Until I understand the error message, I've reset my 1PW MAS sync back to Folder, along with doing the same for my 2d Vault - deleting it out of Dropbox. Once the error message is clarified, I'll give iCloud Sync another go based upon advice on how to proceed.
    As an aside, I'm beginning to wonder if the sequential disable - re-enable activity within my iCloud is causing some issue. In other words, I'm wondering if after deleting all the 1PW data from iCloud, it might be best to wait 24-hours before again creating a Vault file in iCloud. ...Thoughts?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pbGuy: It sounds like you might not have completed at least some of the steps I suggested, specifically the router reset. I know that the ethernet connection may seem bulletproof, even innocuous and above suspicion, perhaps impervious to the headaches of home networking. You will find it otherwise. :(

If you have not already done so, be sure to restart the MacBook Pro, the iPad, and the router together. The router in particular uses the same logic to manage both wired and wireless connections, so if it is not functioning properly and causing issues for one, almost certainly the other will be affected as well. Try this before you do anything else.

Afterward, it may be useful to attempt to sync via Dropbox. If that works and iCloud still doesn't after the hardware reset, then it may certainly be the case that the data in iCloud has gotten mixed up in this process. At any rate, it may then be appropriate to reach out to Apple to see if they might have some insight on a larger scale, since they run the show when it comes to iCloud, so to speak. Please let me know what you find!

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I can report progress (of sorts) as I have now re-established sync of my 1PW MAS (from Folder sync) to Dropbox and correspondingly completed, 1PW - Dropbox sync on all my iOS devices. (At present, I'm leaving my 2d Vault sync to Folder on my MBP.)

FYI, when 1PW iCloud sync-feature first became available and I switched from Dropbox sync, I completely deleted my 1PW folder & data from my Dropbox, sometime after that switch; so, this time, I was newly syncing 1PW MAS with Dropbox and subsequently, syncing my iOS devices with an existing 1PW.

I just completed the Dropbox sync setup prior to leaving this post. ...But, this was after I'd again attempted re-establishing my 1PW MAS sync from Folder to iCloud, wherein I again received the "CKErrorDomain error 4" message.

However since my objective is to re-establish sync using iCloud, as I prefer it for the long run, let me advise what I've also completed: 1) Before attempting re-stablishing my sync to iCloud, I did a Router restart as you'd suggested. 2) I have another desktop DB app, mSecure, which I sync with all my iOS devices through iCloud. And throughout this current issue of 1PW - iCloud sync, I've not had any issues with mSecure syncing via iCloud (before or after my Router restart). I've done some edits within my mSecure MAS and confirmed the subsequent, sync completion on both my iOS devices. iCloud sync continues working well with mSecure.

When I re-established 1PW - Dropbox sync, on each of my devices, each setup synced within 15 seconds. As I remember, this was similar to when I'd done my initial switch from Dropbox to iCloud. ...So, as I saw the quick completion on each device, I knew the Dropbox setup was working as one would expect.

I'm not sure what to try next since I currently have another app syncing well through iCloud, I've again 1PW syncing with Dropbox, but I can't get iCloud sync correctly re-established with 1PW. ...I'm game to keep working at this issue until 1PW - iCloud sync works again.

Any ideas about the "CKErrorDomain" error?

• Followup Note: After all the above, my iOS 1PW apps updated to v5.3. All still working as stated above.
  • pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    Options

I found some discussion about this "CKErrorDomain" error at this 1PW iOS Thread . ...This thread seems to say the CK error is about a device having an issue with getting to the internet.

My MacBookPro is not having an issue getting to the internet either by WiFi or ethernet connection to my network. My iOS devices are also not having any problems getting to the internet by WiFi on my network.

Given what's discussed in the Linked Thread, I'm wondering why I'm getting this CK error when attempting to initiate an iCloud Sync from my 1PW MAS and all my other MBP, internet activity is normal.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @pbGuy,

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the Report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

Ben

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    Options

I've how sent 2 Diagnostic Reports (1 from my iPad Air 2 & 1 from my iPhone 6). And, I've received the Auto Reply confirmations.

Just to advise a couple things I noticed in generating the reports on each device:
    1) the Send To email (from both 1PW iOS) was support+ios@agilebits.com
    2) Unique IDs were not generated for each report by the Diagnostic Report itself, but I did receive respective Unique IDs in the respective automated replies. 3) Since there was no Unique ID, when I generated the Reports, I put "iCloud Sync Issue" in both email Subjects.

I look forward hearing what you all see in those reports. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

but I did receive respective Unique IDs in the respective automated replies

Those IDs are what we're looking for. Thanks @pbGuy!

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    Options

I can provide the IDs to you, if needed; or do you all have them?

• Ben
    Options

Got 'em. Thanks.

ref: VDG-41913-779

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I can now report AgileBits' “Start Over” tasks have blown out the cobwebs and all my devices are back up and running with iCloud Sync. [BTW, I had installed 10.10.3 before initiating the Start Over; so, 1PW MAS 5.3 is working fine with this updated Yosemite. Also, I had installed iOS 8.3 on both my iPhone 6 & iPad Air 2; so, 1PW iOS 5.3 is working fine with the new  iOS.]

The new setup, after the Start Over, for 1PW MAS went smoothly along with re-establishing the iCloud Sync. And more importantly, the new setups for 1PW iOS on both my iPhone 6 & iPad Air 2 also went smoothly with all items being quickly imported from the newly, established iCloud DB.

Time will confirm success; but at present, I am glad to have my devices pointing back toward iCloud Sync. [Dropbox had been syncing just fine during the interim before I was able to work on the Start Over.]

A big Thank You to all the great, AgileBits staff, in this forum and working with me by email, for their patience and assistance. ...It was a demonstration about what makes 1Password such a great piece of software to use and the support that's at the ready.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pbGuy: Fantastic!

Time will confirm success

I agree. I've gone through a lot of this myself recently to resolve various issues I was having. So far so good! :+1:

A big Thank You to all the great, AgileBits staff, in this forum and working with me by email, for their patience and assistance. ...It was a demonstration about what makes 1Password such a great piece of software to use.

Wow. That's a lot of nice right there! While it's great to feel appreciated (thank you!), it's you and the rest of our awesome customers that motivate us to work hard to be worthy of your kind support -- and have some fun in the process. We can't do it without you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.