How do I install 1P on 2 macs, each with different master PW and vaults, same Dropbox acct?

bgrant
bgrant
Community Member

That's my question. I can't find an answer anywhere.

Thanks!

Barry

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015

Hi Barry ( @bgrant ),

I'd be happy to help you out here! First of all, how you install 1Password is going to depend on where you purchased the app:

If you purchased directly from our website

• Go to our downloads page and select the version appropriate for your operating system
    • Download the app to the second computer
    • You'll need to add your existing license file to this copy of 1Password to ensure that it's licensed. If you need help locating your license, please let me know!

If you purchased from the Mac App Store

• Open the App Store on the second computer
    • Make sure you are signed in with the same AppleID as when you made the original purchase (or that you have Family Sharing set up with the AppleID that purchased 1Password)
    • Find 1Password in your 'Purchases' and download

Now, setting up 1Password as a separate user is simple:

• When you open 1Password for the first time, it will detect any existing datafiles on your system (or in Dropbox, if the same account is connected).
    • Simply select the option to start as a new user instead of entering the Master Password for any existing datafiles.

Finally, once you're ready to store that new vault in Dropbox, I'd recommend creating a uniquely named subfolder within Dropbox. The default path for the primary vault when stored in Dropbox is:

/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

Since we'll be adding another primary vault to Dropbox, it will also have the filename 1Password.agilekeychain, and we don't want to get those confused. So, I'd suggest adding a folder like this:

/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/second user

(but with a much more creative name) so that you can easily differentiate between the two keychains.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions or concerns, we're here for you!

• bgrant
    bgrant
    Community Member

Thanks! To follow your guidance, I think I need to move from my trial to a pay version, which I will. . . after I pose another question (in separate thread).
    barry

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bgrant,

The trial version of 1Password is fully functional and anything suggested here should work regardless of if you're running in the trial mode or not. If you're seeing something else please do let us know so we can better understand what is happening on your system.

This discussion has been closed.