Data trapped in iPhone v 3.6.2

Options
redneck
redneck
Community Member

I have a situation where a mac was syncing to dropbox on an old version of 1Password and to 1Password Pro v3.6.2 on an iPhone. When Apple transferred him to a new phone they did not hook up dropbox, and so 1Password on the iPhone became orphaned (no longer syncing to dropbox). Fortunately, he only used 1Password on his phone, so all his data is there on the iPhone. Let me repeat, the only data we care about exists in the iPhone's 1Password Pro v3.6.2 which is no longer syncing with Dropbox. I tried to re-enable dropbox sync on the iPhone to get the data back into Dropbox and therefore back on to the Mac, but I get an error message "can't enable dropbox - does not support v0 of the API".
I took a backup of the data using the built in backup functionality (where it starts a web server on the iPhone and I download it through my desktop browser), however that backup is supposedly only useful for restoring to iOS.
Can you help me get the data into current versions of 1Password so we can start syncing again?
thanks

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @redneck,

Now there are a couple of steps involved but we can definitely help get you from 1Password Pro 3.6.2 to 1Password 5.

The overview is 1Password 5 for iOS can import a vault from 1Password 3 for iOS in its various guises (for iPhone, for iPad & Pro) but it does require the latest version of 1Password 3 for iOS which is v3.7.2. The tricky part is getting the latest version onto your iOS device so 1Password 5 for iOS can communicate with it. Now the good news is the initial steps are to export your vault so you're already one step ahead :smile:

1. So we're skipping several steps related to the creation of the 1Password######.1ptbackup we need for later as you've successfully done this already.
    2. You need to delete 1Password Pro v3.6.2 from your iPhone so we can force downloading of the 'newer' v3.7.2.
    3. With 1Password Pro v3.6.2 deleted, if you go to the App Store on your iPhone and switch to the Updates tab, then enter the list of your Purchased iOS apps. If you pull down the list you will expose the search bar and you can search for 1Password. You should hopefully see 1Password Pro v3.7.2. Download this and 1Password 5 for iOS if you haven't already.
    4. Open a browser window on your desktop computer.
    5. Open 1Password Pro v3.7.2 on your iOS device.
    6. Set an Unlock Code & Master Password keeping them the same as those you already used for your existing vault.
    7. When you receive the pop-up that states 1Password 5 is free, simply tap “Skip” to clear it.
    8. Tap Settings > Database.
    9. Tap Backup & Restore.
    10. Enter address into browser window on desktop computer - *Don’t try to use the page from Backup because the port number will have changed from that address to this one.
    11. Wait for page named “1Password touch Service” to load.
    12. Click “Choose file” in the Restore box and select the 1Password######.1ptbackup that you created earlier then click Choose.
    13. Click Restore in the same Restore box and tap Restore on your device to load your data back into 1Password Pro v3.7.2.
    14. You can verify that your data vault has been restored by tapping Logins on the left side of the bottom menu bar. A list of your existing logins should be displayed just as before.
    15. When you are satisfied that your data has been restored, press More on the bottom menu bar, and then Lock in the upper left corner.
    16. Press the Home button to exit out of 1Password 3 for iOS.
    17. Open 1Password Pro v3.7.2 again and tap Instant Lock on the pop-up menu. This should leave you at the lock screen.
    18. Press the Home button to exit out of 1Password Pro v3.7.2.
    19. At this stage we should have a working copy of the last version of 1Password Pro v3.7.2 which we can use to migrate from 1Password Pro v3.7.2 to 1Password 5 for iOS. The steps for those already exist in our guide, Upgrading from legacy versions of 1Password (3.7.2 to 5)

These steps should allow you to migrate from 1Password 3 to 1Password 5 on your iOS device. If you have any troubles please do let us know and we'll help with wherever the issue is. Hopefully though you'll be reporting success but either way please do let us know :smile:

• redneck
    redneck
    Community Member
    Options

I ran through these steps, got all the way past step 8 in the linked article regarding upgrading from 3.7.2 to v5, including I created a vault and used the same master password. It asks me for the master password, Then it asks me to unlock the data from version 3 where I give it the master password (and I've tried the unlock password also). Then it ends the process leaving me in an empty vault! grrrr. Please help.

• redneck
    redneck
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I went back to v3.7.2 and chose to reset the master password, so I could verify that I entered and remembered it correctly and it is telling me that I entered the wrong current master password. So I reset the database and re-imported, being very careful to enter the password correctly and it was still "wrong". So I did it again just in case it didn't like an all-numeric master password, but still it reported that I entered the wrong master password. I'm sure I did not enter it wrong that many times in a row.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @redneck,

Hmmm. I wouldn't really expect to see that particular error unless the password was indeed being entered incorrectly, but have you also tried our second set of instructions there?

https://support.1password.com/upgrade-ios/#what-if-1password-3-doesn-t-prompt-me-to-upgrade-

Please let me know if those instructions work better.

Thanks!

Ben

• redneck
    redneck
    Community Member
    Options

When I follow that process I get "Import Failed, database is invalid" just after unlocking with the import file in place. I'm working with a backup from version 3.6.2, is that the problem here? Do I need to re-back-up from version 3.7.2? Oh, and by the way, the only way I could get the aforementioned error was to video record the process because the lock screen, without any unlock input ability, quickly gets in the way.

• redneck
    redneck
    Community Member
    Options

I made a new backup from version 3.7.2 and re-ran the steps in the article you suggested this morning. No dice. The behavior is different though. After unlocking with an import file present it prompts me to unlock the v3 data, twice, then dumps me into the empty vault with nothing imported. Also, I see in iTunes that the import file has been renamed appending a number stamp followed by "_imported". Frustrated!

• redneck
    redneck
    Community Member
    Options

BTW, the attempts I made to import the data yesterday were done from a different phone. In cast that helps you narrow the problem. Anxiously awaiting your response :). Thanks in advance for your help.

• redneck
    redneck
    Community Member
    Options

ping (I'm going to have to wait until next week aren't I?)

• Ben
    Options

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from 1Password 5 on your iOS device:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the Report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

Ben

• redneck
    redneck
    Community Member
    Options

Diagnostic report sent. Enjoy 8-) [#PSU-74751-825]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@redneck: Thanks for sending that! I see that Steve has replied via email, so we can continue the conversation there. :+1:

But just for future reference if anyone else runs into a similar issue, the Dropbox API that 1Password 3 used back in the day was discontinued back in 2013, so the only way to sync 1Password 3 on iOS today is via Wi-Fi (with 1Password 3 for Mac only).

ref: PSU-74751-825

This discussion has been closed.