Keep program running for a specific number of hours

grandpamike
grandpamike
Community Member
edited March 2015 in Mac

I find that the program closes after a certain amount of non use, and I would like to enable it to, say, stay open for a specific amount of hours
and not close during idle time. Please let me know what setting, if any,, allows me to do this. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @grandpamike,

When you say the 1Password app closes after a period of time/non-use, do you mean the app itself seems to have quit by itself, or do you mean it locks itself and requires your master password to unlock it?

The app shouldn't close itself, but it will lock itself under certain conditions. In the main 1Password app, go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences, and select the Security tab. There, you will see several auto-lock settings. Those will determine when 1Password will lock itself and require your master password. You can find more information about those settings here.

Does that help? Let us know if I misunderstood the problem or if you have more questions about that. Thanks!

• grandpamike
    grandpamike
    Community Member

I may not have been clear as to what I needed, if so, sorry. What I want to do is keep the program open for a few hours at a time without having to re-enter my master password, not the app closing. Do I uncheck all of the boxes in the security tab, or just certain ones to behave like I am looking for it to do. what I have now is, all are checked except one and the is "lock when main menu is closed". One of the checked boxes is "Lock after computer is idle for ---and I have put 180 minutes there". So I am not sure,, still, on how to make it stay open, without re-entering my master password. Thanks in advance.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I think you'll get the best result, given what you want, by leaving all the boxes un-checked (although I'd tend to leave checked Lock when fast user switching).

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @grandpamike,

So just to clarify, you'd like to unlock your vault at say, 9am and it should remain unlocked until 12pm regardless?

Our Security Preferences are designed to feel intuitive for those used to how OS X works. What I mean by that is they way they work with aspects of OS X such as the screensaver, sleep state and fast user switching. Our idle timer works similar to the idle timers in OS X where it's the length of time since any user activity. So if you set it to 180 minutes that means 180 minutes since you last used the mouse and keyboard.

Now it might be I've misunderstood your request.

If the goal though is simply to lock the vault after x minutes of inactivity then this particular preference is probably the one you want but I imagine this particular preference being most effective if the timer is less than the screen saver or the computer going to sleep (with their associated security preferences).

Now this timer and the others do require that 1Password mini is running in the background. By default this is enabled but it can be disabled by the user in the General tab of 1Password's preferences. So if the security settings don't seem to behave as expected then this might be one reason.

If you still have questions do ask or if we're misunderstanding anything please do help us by indicating what we're not getting.

This discussion has been closed.