Chrome in Incognito Mode?

Options

How many of you use Incognito Mode? It's off by default for all extensions. There's a warning:

"Warning: Google Chrome cannot prevent extensions from recording your browsing history. To disable this extension in incognito mode, unselect this option."

How well would 1Password work when in Incognito Mode?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

I'm possibly not the best person to post as I'm not a massive user of Google Chrome or the various private modes the browsers have. I've never seen any issues using the 1Password Browser Extension in Safari or Firefox though with their private windows. Given what the extension does I'd only expect an issue if there is a bug.

If you do experience any issues do please let us know.

• dteare
    Options

Hello again @wkleem. I just got done replying to you in another thread just now. It's a small world eh? :)

I am not personally a huge user of Incognito Mode but when I do use it I find myself lost without 1Password and then immediately jump over to the extension preferences and enable the Allow in incognito checkbox.

1Password works fine in Incognito Mode but there are some edge cases in general when running multiple Chrome profiles at the same time. Incognito mode is basically a separate profile and therefore is affected by these issues. For example, using Go & Fill when there are two profiles open often opens in the wrong profile as 1Password is not exactly sure while window should be filled.

In general I find most extensions work fine with Incognito. From what I understand the Chrome team decided to disable it by default b/c some extensions load external resources within the webpage and loading these could be used to identity which sites you are visiting. 1Password doesn't load resources this way and so you don't need to be concerned about this potential problem.

I hope that helps!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@dteare, It is confusing where Incognito Mode is concerned as I have a number of extensions. Thanks.

• dteare
    Options

I agree, @wkleem, it can be very confusing. It catches me every time because I'm constantly reinstalling my 1Password extension while I test things and I inevitably forget to enable Incognito Mode each time :)

I personally prefer Safari's approach of leaving extensions enabled while using Private Browsing Mode, but I can totally see why the Chrome team made the decision they did.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

A lot of the Chrome features are accessible via command line but I haven't looked into it thoroughly. TL;DR. The list of Chrome CLI switches is apparently quit lengthy.

• dteare
    Options

That's a good idea for others, @wkleem, but for me I try to stay as close to "standard issue" as possible as I need to be able to help customers like you and I wouldn't be very useful if I answered "it works for me" :)

This discussion has been closed.