Tutorial and login issues

Options
jahk
jahk
Community Member
edited March 2015 in iOS

I was thrilled when I got emails from Dave Teare with lessons on how to set up and use 1 Password.

I worked through the first 2 as soon as I could.

That's all I got. No more emails in the last 5 days. Where did they go, and can you please start sending them again?

(without help, I have no idea how to use the software, and will probably request a refund.)

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry this isn't a direct answer to your question (I'm sure someone from AgileBits will provide one in due course, but it's the weekend at the moment). You might find it very helpful to take a look at the manuals in the knowledge base. For example, the 1P 5 User Guide provides a very clear and straightforward introduction to using 1P.

I just thought that might help you getting to grips with 1P for now.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jahk,

The weekend is a little quieter in terms of AgileBits presence so I can't find quite the right person to ask at the moment. I'm confident that there are more than two introduction emails and that we merely space them out a little so we don't risk becoming a nuisance in your inbox :smile:

In terms of support there are three places open to you. There is here, our support forums. It's a combination of people from AgileBits (we read every thread in a timely manner as we can) and some very dedicated fans of 1Password such as the excellent @Stephen_C. If you have questions we will do out best to answer. Stephen_C has already linked you to out 1Password 5 guide which you might like in terms of being able to browse. We also have a knowledgebase which will do its very best to understand your query and guide you. Between these three options I hope we can help you become an expert in 1Password. Certainly that's what happened with myself, I came to the forums to ask a question and began learning even more about the application. Next thing you know I'm part of the team!

So if you have any questions we can help with please don't hesitate to ask.

• jahk
    jahk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I'll look for more emails in the future. Maybe that will help me understand why I have to copy and paste my username and password from 1Password on my phone in order to sign in to your discussion board

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jahk,

What version of 1Password for iOS are you running? With iOS 8 came Extensions and so in 1Password 5 for iOS there exists the iOS Safari Extension. With this you should be able to log into our forums from your iOS device. If you're running 1Password 5 for iOS does that page help at all?

• jahk
    jahk
    Community Member
    Options

1Password 5.2.1, iOS 8.1.3.

I will try downloading 8.2 today. (only have internet hearty enough for this on weekends)

But I can't use 1 Password to log in to the forums on the computer either. It tells me I need to finish filling out the signup form, then says my username and email are already in use. I have to log in manually. (1 Password 5.1, OSX 10.10.2)

• jahk
    jahk
    Community Member
    Options

Went through the iOS Safari Extension thing.

I'm on the fence about keeping the app. So far this is much more trouble than keeping usernames and passwords listed in my contacts app, which is what I've been doing until now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

@jahk: I'm moving this discussion to the iOS section. I hope you don't mind!

To be clear, even if keeping login credentials stored in Contacts were secure (spoiler: it isn't! :( ), you would still be stuck copying and pasting them.

With 1Password, not only is your data encrypted and secured with your Master Password (Contacts will be accessible to anyone who can gain access to your phone), but you can use A1Browser in 1Password itself to surf, login, and fill in other information on websites or Bthe 1Password iOS 8 extension in supported apps (including Safari and many others) to access your logins as well.

It sounds like you may have the forum new account form URL saved in your Login item in 1Password. Try editing the Login item to use this URL instead:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin

That will take you to the login form, instead of where you create a new account. I hope this helps! :chuffed:

• jahk
    jahk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.

I'm just as lost on the Mac as on the phone and iPad. A few posts up someone included a link to some introductory lessons on setting up and getting the app running, so I'll be working through that.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jahk,

Don't get us wrong, there is a learning curve with 1Password and the program is constantly evolving to try and work better with the myriad of site designs out there but we genuinely believe that the reward at the end of the tunnel is worth it. I will even generalise that to just using a password manager in general should you decide on another for whatever reason. The reality is the internet is a hostile place and we all need to take precautions. Random, complex and unique passwords for every site is really one of the few safeguards left to users.

My particular style for using 1Password for Mac is to turn off Automatically ask to save new Logins (it's in the Browser tab of 1Password's preferences) and instead use our Saving a Login Manually guide. That might not work for you, it's just what does for me. What I like about that is I only use it on the actual Login page and I find it helps cut down on any potential errors as I set the page up exactly as I want and then say save.

The links by Stephen_C, specifically the 1P 5 User Guide one should have several pages on setting up 1Password 5 for Mac and guiding you through adding a Login item etc.

As always, if you have questions do please ask.

This discussion has been closed.