Recover 1password application and my password database

Options
benassis
benassis
Community Member

Bonjour,
I'm French speeking.
2 days ago, My imac experienced some problems. I installed two applications : Mackeeper and Cleanmymac. A few hours later, mail , safari, Terminal did not work anyhow. I tried to boot on my external hard disk where I made a clone of everything with Carbon copy cloner. But I cannot access my files and don't know why.
This morning I decided to make a clean installation, using a Recovery HD on mac os Yosemite..
Now, mac applications like mail and safari are working again. But I can't open 1password 5 and I do not know how to recover my passwords.
I have made a clone of my of my main partion, on an external disk but I don't know how :-
1. regain a fresh copy of 1passord
2. regain more than 100 user ids and paswords, somewhere on my imac or on my partitions from my external disk.

I'm waiting for your help.
Regards

Comments

• benassis
    benassis
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

You can also answer directly by email at [ redacted ]

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@benassis,

I've removed your email address, so that it isn't picked up by spambots.

Someone from AgileBits will come along to help and probably ask additional questions.

• benassis
    benassis
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Options

@benassis,

You're welcome. A few questions to start with:

1. What versions of 1P are you using on your Mac?
    2. What your version of OS X?
    3. Are you syncing your data (e.g. iCloud, Dropbox)?
  • benassis
    benassis
    Community Member
    Options
    1. !password, version 5.1
    2. OSX: Yosemite
    3. Yes, for my ipad and iphone but not for 1password (yes, it's a pity... but I'm learning.)
      I cannot retreive my skype pasword and many other password because they were managed by 1passwod.
      Regards
  • benassis
    benassis
    Community Member
    Options

My 1password application on my imac is a paid version. I cannot give my coordinates on this forum.
    Regards

• benassis
    benassis
    Community Member
    Options

I have read recent posts about this problem and I foun a solution: I trashed 1password 5 and clean the trash, rebooted, downloaded a fresh copy. It This fresh copy is working and I got all my database.
    Thanks
    Regards
    ps. Right now I will make an icloud backup

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Ok, sounds good.

If you are using 1Password from the Mac App Store on all your devices, you can have each of them sync to the same iCloud vault. See How to enable iCloud in OS X and iOS preferences.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

@benassis: Excellent! I'm glad that you were able to get 1Password up and running, and that your vault was present for 1Password to find so you didn't lose anything! :)

As the illustrious MrC mentioned, you can use iCloud to sync your data if you're using the Mac App Store version of 1Password. Or you can use Dropbox Sync if you've purchased 1Password from the AgileBits website. Dropbox in particular allows syncing between the current version of 1Password on all platforms; whereas iCloud Sync works between 1Password 5 for both Mac (MAS version) and iOS.

But it is also very important to keep a separate backup of your data (such as Carbon Copy Cloner, like you mentioned), because a sync service will still sync data that is corrupted, or changes like deletion. Better safe than sorry. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.