Trouble setting up version 5.1 to sync with ICloud, after trouble shooting tips tried [Resolved]

Options
Allison
Allison
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Mac

Help us help you!

• I’m using 1Password version #: 5.1
  • On a (Mac/PC/iOS/Android): an iMac running Yosemite 10.10.2
  • Syncing with other devices (list them): iPhone6, iPad Air2

Hello, I recently purchased 1Password 5 and Knox for Mac. My iMac runs Yosemite 10.10.2

I am having a lot of trouble setting up sync through iCloud as I install your program on my desktop. Somehow I downloaded too many programs during my purchase from your website, including 1Password4, 1Password5 (twice); and 2 1Password Minis. I moved everything in the trash, leaving only one item in my applications file "1Password 5".

I have a functioning 1Password Mini, even though this doesn't show up on my Applications file or anywhere else. Oddly, when I pull up Safari --> Preferences --> Extensions -->, it then shows in THIS ONE SPOT that I have version 1Password4.3.1 (presumably for the mini component since it is running on Safari, and the 1Password app that I have on my computer is version 5.1

Here is my problem in setup: when I open up Password and try to format sync with ICloud, it does not give me the ICloud option. I only see DropBox and folder. Also, when I pull up ICloud, I cannot find an icon for the Password app so that I can enable ICloud to sync with it. I followed all of your trouble shooting tips and none of these helped. Can you help me???? Is the problem that one weird version of 1Password4.3.1 that I found in Safari preferences --> extensions? If so, how can I change it? I would like to point out that this seems unlikely since I'm still setting things up, and I simply cannot set up a sync format if ICloud doesn't show up.

Thanks!
Allison

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Allison: I'm sorry for the confusion! Since the 1Password extension can be (and is) updated separately from the 'main' 1Password app, it has a different version number. But never fear! Once installed, the browser should update the extension automatically.

1Password mini is the little 1Password icon in the menubar at the top-right of your screen, and it is actually part of the main 1Password app. So no worries there!

Additionally, Apple does not allow apps from outside their Mac App Store to use the iCloud APIs any more, so it isn't a feature we can offer in the AgileBits 'website version' of 1Password -- which is why we make mention of this in both our web store and iCloud Sync guide.

The good news is that -- regardless of what platform you're using or where you bought 1Password -- Dropbox Sync is fully supported in all current versions of 1Password, so you can use that to sync data between devices (including Windows and Android).

Also, I will mention that I was able to find your license, and since you are well within our 30-day guarantee period, we can (if you like) refund your 1Password purchase so that you can buy it from the Mac App Store instead. It's entirely up to you.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions! :)

• Allison
    Allison
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for all your information. I'm not exactly tech-savvy, so it's easy for me to get mixed up. I was wanting to try syncing with Dropbox anyway, so that I wouldn't forever be tied to apple. My only concern is that if I place it on my Dropbox, when I open it from the Dropbox file, do I need to use my Main Password within 1Password every time to access the passwords? Somehow my dropbox has an icon on my desktop (and obviously an icon on my iPhone) The icon on my desktop seems to open and show its contents without prompting for a password (perhaps it is only showing recent downloads that I need to clear?). I worry that people can get into dropbox without a password and then into 1Password without using my Main Password to secure it down. So one of my questions is - if I sync with Dropbox, when I access 1Password within it does it require my main password before I can see my data? I don't want people opening Dropbox somehow (especially on my desktop where it seems to open freely without requiring a password) and accessing all my nearest and dearest information.

I will continue reading all this and let you know about possibly switching back to purchasing from Apple. But I'd like to try the Dropbox option if I can work it simply.

Thanks and have a great Sunday!
    Allison

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Allison,

So while we can utilise Dropbox for syncing, it does remain very much its own application and to try and help I'll address each separately.

Dropbox

You're quite correct that Dropbox opens up automatically and it's only during the installation phase that you're asked for your login credentials. I suppose part of the reason for this is because they want you to imagine the Dropbox space as being part of your user space. To make this seamless they rely on the fact that you've authenticated yourself with OS X to access this particular user account as Dropbox is per user account rather than a single Dropbox account shared over all users of a single machine. The result is though, your Dropbox files are always as visible as all of your other files in your OS X account. This doesn't stop you from solutions that allow you to safely store files inside encrypted containers (I notice you mentioned Knox in your first post). So a Knox vault in Dropbox is like a Knox vault on your local drive, encrypted until you attempt to open it and supply the password.

1Password

No matter which sync method you choose, the sync data is always only stored in an encrypted state for reasons of security. Now the sync data is also separate from the local copy of your vault (which is also always encrypted). Now is it possible for your vault to be in an unlocked state when you walk away from your computer? Depending on how you set up the security preferences it is but I should stress only if you've already unlocked 1Password as by default it starts off locked. So you may want to take a look at 1Password's Security Preferences. Between those and the keyboard shortcut for manually locking your vault ⌃⌥⌘L I hope we can find a workflow that works for you.

If you have any questions do please ask.

• Allison
    Allison
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again for both of your comments. I've been working with the app, and I think I will have an easier time if I go back and purchase it from the Mac store. With that in mind, should I purchase the Knox app from them as well? I haven't read into Knox, but I don't think they are importantly linked in any way. In other words, what do I need to do to get the refund for the 1Password5, and keep the Knox from the Agile website if I can. I read the instructions on purchasing and installing the replacement Mac app, but I wanted to make sure I covered the refund first before I do it.

You guys are fantastic, and I love all your blog and discussion posts. They keep me busy (and slowly teach me).

Allison

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Allison,

We don't actually sell Knox via Apple's Mac App Store (MAS) I'm afraid so if you wish, I can process a partial refund for 1Password 5 and leave Knox active for you. Your understanding of the two applications is correct, while they may compliment each other they aren't linked and can be used quite separately.

All you need to do is confirm you'd like a refund for just 1Password 5 for Mac and we can do the rest for you right now without any further fuss :smile:

• Allison
    Allison
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

Thanks again for all your help. A partial refund would be great, just for the 1Password 5 for Mac, and I'll keep the Knox and work with it. I haven't even gotten there yet. Hope your day goes well.

Allison

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Allison: Done! I've refunded the amount of the 1Password purchase price so you can buy it on the Mac App Store.

You're Knox license is unaffected. Just be sure to keep an eye on your card statement for the refund. You should see it within a few days. Thanks again for your support! :)

• Allison
    Allison
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks very much for everything!

Allison

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Allison,

I'm so glad that Brenty was able to get things sorted out for you!

Since this particular issue is resolved, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support+forum@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.