Bug Report - Moving Logins across Vaults prevents them from syncing via iCloud until you edit/save

Options
bluejayk
bluejayk
Community Member

I was having a problem with missing logins on my iOS device that I've figured out the cause of, and this seemed like the best place to report the bug.
Scenario:
I attempted using multiple vaults so I could separate personal and work logins/passwords. However, I learned iCloud can only sync the primary vault, so I moved the logins over to the primary vault, and they show up fine on my Mac in the Primary Vault. However, they do NOT appear on iCloud-sync'd devices. If I pull up one of the missing logins on my mac and then simply click edit then save without doing anything else at all, the missing logins show up on my iOS device within a few seconds. Thus, it seems the act of moving logins into the Primary vault isn't properly triggering the export/copy to the iCloud file.

Mac: 1Password * Version 5.1 (510027) * Mac App Store
iOS: 5.2.1

This could be the cause of the most similar issue I could find as well:
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/37141/missing-logins-after-syncing-on-ios

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bluejayk: I'm sorry you're having this issue! Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce it here.

Let me just make sure I am understanding your steps:
    1. Set up iCloud Sync for Primary vault
    2. Create item X in Secondary vault
    3. Move item X to Primary vault
    4. Item X does not sync via iCloud
    5. Edit item X
    6. Item X syncs via iCloud

For me, on step 4 my test login item sync'd over to my iPhone in seconds. But I will say that in order to get iCloud to sync anything at all initially (it kept saying it was unavailable) I had to both toggle iCloud Drive off in the Settings app and restart my phone. Please try this to see if it helps, and correct me if I've misunderstood anything. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• bluejayk
    bluejayk
    Community Member
    Options

We're almost on the same page. At the moment, I have 109 items in my Primary Vault on my Mac, but only 92 of them have sync'd over to my iOS device, and both have sync'd in the last minute. (See screenshots showing sync status and item counts.) I had a few less than that earlier and then I edited/saved (without changing anything) and got the number up to 92. The ones that haven't sync'd yet are ones that I haven't updated in a few months, which is when I did the (failed) multiple vault experiment. So, I'm still in the "bad" state until I go in and edit/save every login that is missing on my phone. The other 92 are sync'ing just fine - I just don't have an explanation for why the other 17 are missing other than the fact they WERE in a personal vault and got moved to primary and have never sync'd successfully to my iOS device.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bluejayk,

Thank you for the additional details! This actually sounds similar to an issue that I believe should be solved in the next update for 1Password 5 for Mac. Hopefully that update will stop this from happening again in the future. In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, please try disabling iCloud Drive in System Preferences on your Mac and in the Settings app on your iOS device, then reboot both your Mac and iOS device, re-enable iCloud Drive on each one, and see if your 1Password items are synced correctly.

If that doesn't help, you can try resetting iCloud sync. Before doing that, open 1Password on your Mac and go to File > Backup in order to make a new backup of your data, just as a precaution. Then follow these steps:

On your iOS device:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings.
    • Scroll down and tap Advanced, then scroll down and tap Erase iCloud Data (confirm you want to Reset iCloud Data).
    • You should see a message that confirms the data was reset and sync was disabled (tap OK).

On your Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data.
    • Click the button for Yes, Remove Remote Data.
    • You should see a message that confirms the data was reset and sync was disabled (click OK).
    • Restart your Mac.
    • After the restart, open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • Set up iCloud sync again, and allow the sync to complete.

On your iOS device:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Start Syncing > Sync with iCloud.
    • Follow any additional steps to complete the setup, then allow the sync to complete.

The first sync will take a little extra time, so please make sure the first sync on your Mac completes before trying it on the iOS device. Please let us know how it goes and if it's working correctly now. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.