Oversized icons on earlier iPhones

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

I went to the Agilebits discussion forums on the 4" iPhones and the main page looks massive! That and the @user bug that Richard Payne mentioned. I didn't try it on the 3.5" model iPhones.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: The icons are rather large when I look at it on my phone too, but that's the forum index. Are you having a similar issue when you view the Lounge, for instance? Once inside a section, the topics seem about the right size to me -- small enough to fit a half dozen or so, and large enough to be readable.

It would be great if you could take a screenshot of what you're seeing and post it. We still have some tweaking to do on the new design, and we really appreciate any insight or feedback you have to offer! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

@brenty, that's what I'm seeing : the oversized forum index.

It's fine after that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: Ah, excellent! I know the large icons can a bit jarring at first, but it sounds like it is usable once you drill down into a category. But please let us know if you find it to be otherwise, or notice anything else we might have overlooked. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Hi

I thought I would comment that I prefer the Lo-Fi text look better on the main discussion forum page. It doesn't always happen. When it does happen it is due to insufficient bandwidth.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: You mean the webpage looks different? It sounds like maybe the CSS may be failing to load in those instances. If you could provide a screenshot I'd be interested to see the difference myself! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

I am having some problem attaching an image from a iPhone so I hope it works. The small screen size is a disadvantage here.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

It's not just iPhone. Here's what it looks like on Android Chrome:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

@RichardPayne I was referring to the graphics being unable to load in my last image before your post.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: Ah, got it. Thanks for the screenshot! Does reloading the page, resetting Wi-Fi, or loading in a different browser help?

I actually have a similar issue in Safari on my Mac from time to time (even though it will load normally in other browsers), and resetting Wi-Fi seems to correct it. A few of us on staff have encountered this problem with the forums from time to time, and as best we can tell it's an issue with DNS in the OS. Not sure this is the same thing, but that's what it reminds me of. Let me know what you find. :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@wkleem I was referring to you OP. The icons are far too large.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@RichardPayne Yes, they are. I would prefer a smaller version, low bandwidth version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: Thanks for the feedback! We're continuing to tweak the new forum layout. Let us know if you have any other suggestions! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@brenty It should have been large icons on the phone, generally speaking, as I don't have access to Android devices. Works fine on the 9.7" iPad by the way.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

IMO you could halve the icon edge lengths and still have they very very "tappable".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RichardPayne: Since there isn't other content there that one might mis-tap (it's only one item for each form section) I don't think it hurts to have a large touch target -- especially for those of us using devices with smaller screens. Tablets should (generally) be using the desktop layout as opposed to mobile. :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Interesting. I'd see it the other way around. Small screen are typically lower resolution and so need smaller icons than the large hires screens.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Just for reference, the iPhone 1 to 3GS had a 480×320 screen resolution. The iPhone 4/4s had 960×640 screen res. The iPhone 5/5c/5s had 1136 x 640 screen res. Retina meant the the ppi was 326ppi.

The iPhone 6 has 1334 x 750 screen resolution at 326ppi

The iPhone 6 Plus has 1920 x 1080 screen resolution at 401ppi.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

The ideal solution would be to use css media queries to check the dpi and change the image file to suit.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

It looks better now that I rotated the screen into landscape mode (from portrait) but I've come across another issue. The 1Password Extension doesn't follow the rotation and stays in portrait mode.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

@RichardPayne: Well (and I apologize for repeating myself, but I'm not sure I'm phrasing it the right way), what I meant was that the icons don't need to be smaller to cede space to other content, since the forum index is literally just a single icon and name (much like on the OS X Desktop) for each section. Once you drill down into a section, things are scaled appropriately to fit the content.

Incidentally, the forum index looks exactly the same on my iPhone 3G, just more pixellated. :pirate:

@wkleem: You're absolutely right about the lack of landscape support in the 1Password extension, and I could see how it would be a bit of a nuisance to have to go back to portrait to view the extension in any reasonable fashion.

You might not have noticed this (as I often forget myself), but 1Password actually only supports landscape on the iPad currently. In 1Password it almost never crosses my mind, but if you're using another app (especially Safari) in landscape mode, the extension popping up in portrait can be jarring.

This is definitely on our list, especially with larger devices now like the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, so hopefully we can add this feature in a future version. Cheers! :)

ref: OPI-2590

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Something happened to the discussion forums that has made it look worse than before on small screen. Why are the avatars so big?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I've had this a few times. It's almost as if the server fails to deliver the style sheet. Refresh thecpage and it reloads correctly.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Thanks. That worked.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

@wkleem: Indeed. While I haven't experienced this problem on a mobile device, it happens to me on my Mac more often than I'd like. We're struggling with some loading issues here and there, and apologize for the inconvenience. Hopefully we'll be able to get the kinks ironed out. :crazy:

P.S: Seeing my head that big upon loading the page was jarring. I can only imagine how you must have felt. My condolences! :ohnoes:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

P.S: Seeing my head that big upon loading the page was jarring. I can only imagine how you must have felt. My condolences!

@brenty Nothing personal. I just prefer things to fit the small screen comfortably.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No offense taken. I thought it was funny, in the Terry Gilliam sense. ;) :+1:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Do you mean Monty Python or one of Gilliam's movies? I cannot recall what his films were like. Monty Python was hilarious. :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

Both! Fantastic absurdist humour. I imagine my giant head being squished by and even-giant-er foot. :eh:

This discussion has been closed.