Master Password not syncing

Options
IndigoLightning
IndigoLightning
Community Member

I use 1Password on an iMAC and a Macbook pro, as well as Windows. I sync through Dropbox. Both MACS are running 10.9.4. I have three vaults.

Hopefully the information above is sufficient to explain why a change in the Master Password on one machine does not update the master password on all the machines (ie, I would have thought I would be prompted to enter the new MP rather than having to open the vault with the old pw, enter preferences and change the pw to the new one). Also, is there a way to change the master password on a secondary vault once it's been set? Somehow the master password for one of my secondary vaults is out of sync and I can't change it so one of the computers is not updating.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @IndigoLightning,

I have some bad news I'm afraid.

We did have a couple of sync bugs relating to Master Password and we did eliminate these bugs but only in 1Password 5.1. As a Mavericks user the newest version you can run is 1Password 4.4.3. Now the workaround prior to the bug fix was simply to manually alter the Master Password in each location to match. This will still work in your case but if in the future you decide to move to Yosemite you'll be entitled to a free update to the latest version of 1Password 5 as a 1Password 4 customer.

Your second request, to change a Master Password of a secondary vault is an ongoing request but we do realise it's something our customers want to see. Now again, if/when this change were to happen it would only be to the latest version of 1Password - sorry. At the moment the only workaround here is to create a new secondary vault and copy the entire contents over. We can supply a list of steps required if you wish.

Once again, sorry it wasn't better answers that I could give on this occasion.

ref: OPM-900

• IndigoLightning
    IndigoLightning
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for responding. I realized after posting that the only way to fix the issue was to combine the vaults again into the primary and create new secondary vaults.... Not a yosemite fan, so 5 will have to wait. Wish I knew about the Master Password issue earlier as I have 1 password on a significant number of machines. I would have updated them all at once so I wouldn't lose track of which password.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @IndigoLightning,

Certainly the Master Password issue was one where the behaviour wasn't what was intended and I think it took a couple of revisions to finally banish the bug but one we did concentrate on due to the severity of it. If you have a few machines I would probably recommend what you may be already thinking. Don't take any chances, go through each machine in turn regardless of what you may think or know and first try the new Master Password. If it accepts it then it should fail on the old one and you can continue to the next machine. If the new Master Password fails but the old succeeds then you can change it there and then and continue onto the next machine.

Some people aren't Yosemite fans. I know nothing of OS X 10.11 but hopefully that will be more appealing to those that weren't fans of what Yosemite brought to the table or maybe a minor update will fix some of the issues holding others back. After a while I have to confess I've gotten used to it, enough so it's sometimes a bit of a shock going back to Mavericks would you believe.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

This discussion has been closed.