Restoring ALL of My Devices

Options
bonk
bonk
Community Member

I'm a new OS X and 1Password user, and I sync my MacBook's, iPhone's, and iPad's 1Password apps through iCloud. Periodically, I like to restore my devices to their original factory settings, getting rid of all of the unnecessary junk and re-adding apps as I need them. If I hit the nuke-and-pave button on all three of my devices at once, then sign into my iCloud account once their restored, and download the 1Password apps from the App Stores, will all of my logins automatically download? Are they safe in iCloud as I gradually get each device back in working order?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bonk,

As long as you aren't nuking iCloud too then yes, the sync data will rest there and be available as devices connected to your Apple ID request it. Even so, I'd recommend one device at a time as wiping all at the same time and then finding out some unexpected, one-in-a-million glitch has ruined your plans would be gut wrenching. I'm not saying this should happen, merely why take the risk.

Me? I'm lazy and I haven't set up a new iPhone as a new iPhone since my first one 3 models ago. I love how SMS get transferred and I don't lose my history simply because I have a new phone.

• bonk
    bonk
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables would nuking everything at once affect time-based one-time passwords? Should I disable those on websites first, or would they carry over to restored devices?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bonk,

Based on everything I know I can't see how nuking a device could affect a one-time password. The site you use it on created a secret that is stored in your vault and that secret is synced over all of your devices via iCloud. The secret generates the time sensitive code so you don't have to ever give up any information on the important bit (the secret). It's why if you were to make the same Login visible on multiple devices you should see the same code on all, assuming all of your devices are synchronised not just in terms of your vault but also the clocks via a time server. That's one reason why different codes could be displayed, if the clocks on two devices differ.

Now I'm assuming you're taking a lot of extra care on your MacBook given the amount of data that you may have stored and how the Library folder is used. With your MacBook you would probably want to use something like SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner (to name but just a couple) to create a complete image of your current disk. That way anything can be recovered.

If you have more questions fire away! :smile:

• bonk
    bonk
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables I've decided on a staggered nuking approach, going through each device one by one. iOS apps are pretty consistent between my iPhone and iPad, but I want to be clear that, when I restore the only Mac I have with 1Password installed, all of the details and fields that don't normally show up on my iOS apps but do on my Mac will appear on my newly restored Mac.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bonk,

Even though your iOS devices don't show the extra data they do synchronise it so it is in your iCloud Sync container. I'm confident it will go well.

It never hurts to reassure though so before you wipe the Mac why not do a trial run so you can see what will happen. If you follow our How do I start over with an empty vault? it will require you to move certain folders, which of course you can move back afterwards. Doing so though you can simulate starting afresh on the Mac and see exactly what happens but all the while having your original folders to fall back on.

This discussion has been closed.