Manually move 1Password data from mac to mac

Options
mattiman
mattiman
Community Member

How can I move my 1password 4 data from one Mac (mavericks) to another (1password 4 on Yosemite)?

Having migrated from one mac to another in the past, I know it is possible to manually copy a file from one to the other and import it in the new install of 1password (4). I have a few agilekeychain and .1p4_zip files lying around.

But at the moment I can't find the .agilekeychain file anywhere on my mac. And inside the 1Password app if I go to Preferences > Sync, there's no file path given.

I have also never used sync before by the way. For now, I'd prefer to move a file manually instead of Dropbox.

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mattiman,

You're on the right track. There's no filepath under sync because you've never activated sync, and that's fine. There are a couple ways to move your data to the new computer, but since you mentioned .1p4_zip, I'll say go with a backup file.

So first you'll want to copy the backup file of your choosing to the new computer with a USB drive or your preferred method. You can locate these from the Backup Preferences pane by clicking "Show Files".

Then go ahead and follow these steps to get started on the new computer. Click Restore from Backup when you get to the bottom of the page and then follow those steps, and you should be good to go!

Let us know how that works out for you, and we'll be here if you have any more questions.

• mattiman
    mattiman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Vee, thanks for your quick reply! I'll try that first thing in the morning. Copy backup file to other mac, restore from that file in the 1Password install there. I hope to migrate to Yosemite and 1Password5 in the future and be able to use iCloud sync, but for now this should do. If I run into any problems I'll let you know. Thanks again so far.
    Matthijs

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem at all, @mattiman! Sounds like you've got a handle on it. :)

• mattiman
    mattiman
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Unfortunately I run into a problem. On my original Mac, I created a backup. Located the file in the finder. It's named something like 1Password 2015-04-01 .. .1p4_zip
    Using Airdrop I moved the file to the other Mac.
    I open 1Password there.
    I go to Preferences > Backup. Choose Find Backup. It puts the file in the list.

I click that backup to select it, at which point the button 'Restore' becomes active. I click the button Restore. 1Password crashes. Closes immediately without any error.

UPDATE: sorry, just discovered that it is working. The 'crashing' is the way it is supposed to work. After restarting 1Password and checking the latest items I see that they are ther.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry that 1Password alarmed you, @mattiman! But it sounds like the app behaved exactly as outlined in the Restore from Backup guide that I liked to before, so that's good.

I'm glad to hear that it worked after all! Thanks for including that update. If there's ever anything else we can help you with, we're here 7 days a week. Take care! :)

• mattiman
    mattiman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much for all the help. I make sure to get everybody I know to buy 1Password as well!

Maybe I do have one follow-up question: If I buy and install the Mac app store 1Password 5 version on my other Mac (currently running Yosemite with 1Password4), can I still use that same method of moving my backup file and importing/restoring it in that version?

On my main mac I'm running Mavericks and 1Password 4 by the way.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mattiman,

On behalf of @Vee, you're very welcome. Thanks so much for all your support and for spreading the word about 1Password! :)

If I buy and install the Mac app store 1Password 5 version on my other Mac (currently running Yosemite with 1Password4)...

There are a couple things I want to mention here. The first is that Apple doesn't provide a way to convert a license for our website version of 1Password to the Mac App Store version. So if you wanted the Mac App Store version of 1Password, you would need to purchase that separately at the full price shown there.

It looks like you bought a license for 1Password 4 for Mac from our web store back in 2013. In case you didn't already know, 1Password 5 is a free upgrade from 1Password 4. Is there a reason you're still using 1Password 4 on Yosemite? If not, you should definitely install 1Password 5 on that Mac. Simply open the main 1Password 4 app and go to the menu for 1Password 4 > Check for Updates. That should prompt you to install 1Password 5.

...can I still use that same method of moving my backup file and importing/restoring it in that version?

Yes, the web store and Mac App Store versions of 1Password 4 and 1Password 5 use the same backup format, so the method you used to copy a backup file from one Mac and restore it on the other Mac will work between them.

I hope that helps. Please let us know if you have more questions - we're here for you!

• mattiman
    mattiman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew, thanks a lot for your answer.

I did not know I could upgrade my website version 1Password 4 to 1Password5 (for free). I will do that, now that I know it's easy to move/migrate my data.

It's correct that I currently have the website version.

The reason I was thinking about the Mac App store version is because it has the iCloud support while the website version has not
    https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/licensing-faq
    Since I run two Macbooks (pro and air) plus an iPhone, and already use iCloud for some syncing of contacts etc, I thought that the Mac app version with iCloud sync support would be the best choice.

If it makes working with my 800+ passwords across all my devices easier and keeping everything safe, it's worth paying again I think.

thanks again,
    Matthijs

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hey @mattiman,

I'm glad you found the iCloud info. Dropbox and iCloud both work great for syncing across devices, but of course it's just a matter of preference, and as long as you're making an informed decision, then we're all for you buying the Mac App Store version if you want to! Looks like you've found the main difference between the two versions of 1Password for Mac, but here's our article comparing the two, for good measure.

And if you do indeed go the MAS route, here's our guide on migrating your vault from the webstore version to the Mac App Store version. Check it out. Either way, I think you'll be happy with the upgrade. :)

And thanks for your interest in using 1Password on all your devices! Rock on.

• mattiman
    mattiman
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to let you know that I managed succesfully to
    1) move all my data by the backup method to my other mac
    2) upgrade from 1Password 4 to 5 for free
    3) bought the Apple Store version of 1Password 5 and when opening it already had all my passwords in it!
    4) enabled iCloud sync on both Mac and iPhone.

I'll do the same for my other mac when I get to upgrade it from Mavericks to Yosemite.

Thanks for all the help here!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's terrific news, @mattiman! Thank you for the happy update, and you're very welcome for the help.

If you have a spare minute to share the love, we would really appreciate it if you took the time to leave us a review in the Mac App Store to let people know how we've met or exceeded your expectations. And feel free to tweet at or about us; we're @ 1Password on Twitter. :)

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.