Why aren't browser derivatives supported? [Security check, can be made to support other browsers]

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello,

I was wondering why browser derivatives are not supported. They use the same codebases but with different features. Im currently using cyberfox with is based on firefox and im using vivaldi which is based on chromium. The extension can be installed just fine but 1password doesnt make a connection with the browser.

Thanks

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @wasgij6,

It is a security check to make sure the extension is connected from a validated code-signed browser process and not something else running on your computer trying to grab your data. It is not based on the codebase but how the codebase was signed by the known developer. If someone changes something in the browser, the signature changes and that will cause the 1Password Helper to block incoming connections from that specific browser or any other processes on your computer.

You can disable the check if you want, it is optional. To find out more, please read our article here: https://support.1password.com/invalid-code-signature-win/#disable-browser-code-signature-validation

The article will explain how you can disable this and it contains more details as to what 1Password is trying to accomplish with this security check.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much for the answer. It makes lots of sense from a security stand point why 1password works the way it does but there are cases that this needs to be disabled like in my case. Glad you guys are taking security seriously.

Disabling code signature verification did solve my problem.

Thanks again.

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.