Update freezes cursor [Caused by MadCatz mouse software]

Options
C3PO
C3PO
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

If I update 1password over the in app function for the duration of the download the courser gets freezes. I guess this is not intended.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@C3PO: Ouch. Certainly not! Do you have security software that might be blocking an action of 1Password (connecting to the update server to check for a new version, or to download the file itself)? A number of customers have found that some software was silently blocking this and making an exception (or disabling it temporarily) resolved the issue. Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you. :)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @C3PO,

Can you tell me which versions of 1Password and Windows you're using?

Does it only happen during the update or what about unlocking the extension in the browser, does it freeze the cursor as well?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Didn't we conclude some time ago the common denominator for everyone having this problem are Logitech drivers?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @svondutch,

That's what I'm thinking but it was happening during the unlock process as well IIRC.

@C3PO, do you have a Logitech mouse connected?

• C3PO
    C3PO
    Community Member
    Options

I have a Mad Catz R.A.T. 9 mouse. The cursor gets stuck while the software downloads the new version. I will write my version as soon as I am at home.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

@C3PO: Ah, interesting! I wasn't aware that MadCatz made PC hardware too (I know them from game console accessories).

Did you have to install a driver provided by the vendor that came with the mouse, or just one that came with Windows? And do you have similar cursor freezing issues during other network or program activity?

• C3PO
    C3PO
    Community Member
    Options

I installed the driver from MadCatz (to use all the features ;) ). As far as I can tell only 1Passwort does freez the cursor while downloading the update. Because for example Notepad++ or Filezilla does not do it.

• MikeT
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi @C3PO,

Would it be too much of a bother to ask if you can uninstall the driver, restart the computer, and see if it still freezes without the driver?

We know that for some Logitech users, they were able to pinpoint it to the drivers but not all Logitech users are affected the same way.

• C3PO
    C3PO
    Community Member
    Options

If I should test this, I need to install an old version. So 1password will update. Where can I download an old version?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

@C3PO: You can install an older stable version of 1Password from any of the download links in our changelog, or you can enable betas (in File > Preferences > Updates) and check for a new version right then and there. I hope this helps! :)

• C3PO
    C3PO
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I uninstalled the MadCatz Software (Not the driver) and the cursor did not freeze while updating the software. http://www.madcatz.com/downloads/ and on this side the SMART TECHNOLOGY software

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@C3PO: Ah, interesting. It sounds like we may have our 'winner'! While it makes a certain sort of sense that mouse software might be related to the mouse freezing with 1Password, it still seems like this sort of problem should be a thing of the past. It's like IRQ and DMA all over again! :dizzy:

WhIle I'm glad that it seems to have resolved the mouse cursor issue for you, we will continue to investigate this going forward. Thanks so much for your patience and willingness to work with us on this! :)

This discussion has been closed.