Any plans for Project Spartan / Microsoft Edge integration? [Too early to confirm anything]

Options
cfcassidy
cfcassidy
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Now that Microsoft has distributed Build 10049 with the new Project Spartan browser, are they any plans to integrate with this browser? Or is there a way to use the existing IE integration?

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cfcassidy We know for sure Spartan won't run our existing IE extension because the latter is based upon legacy technologies such as ActiveX and Browser Helper Objects -- neither of these technologies exist in Spartan. Whether or not Spartan can run our JavaScript extension we don't know yet. /cc @dteare

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

@cfcassidy, it's too early to confirm anything. Spartan doesn't support any extensions right now in the latest preview and we can't even start until they have the basic support along with the definitive API guidelines released.

As Stefan mentioned, we will not be able to port our IE add-on to Spartan. The slightly good news is that Microsoft, based on the latest rumors, appears to want the Spartan's API to be identical to Chrome's extension (javascript/html/css) APIs. If that turns out to be true, that could mean we could reuse majority of our extension code from Chrome as well and that could speed up the process. Even with that good news, it will still be a lot of work as we have to tailor the code to match the way Spartan works with its tab, windows, websocket, and so on.

• cfcassidy
    cfcassidy
    Community Member
    Options

Just loaded Windows 10 build 10525 which is supposed to have the beginnings of Edge extensions. Let me know if you want someone to beta test :+1:

• Thanks @cfcassidy - will do.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @cfcassidy,

I'm on the Insider's fast ring track as well and will be looking at this; so far, there isn't anything new.

Keep in mind even if there are some signs of extension support, it will take a while (weeks or months) for us to build it and test it before we make it available for our users to beta test.

• cfcassidy
    cfcassidy
    Community Member
    Options

I saw a comment somewhere about the version of Edge in 10525 as having extension capability but I haven't seen anything official from Microsoft in that regard. May have been someone's wishful thinking.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @cfassidy,

The Verge had an interview with Microsoft and one of the things they hinted was that the extension support should start showing up sooner for Insiders over the next month or two. This is to get developers started for the upcoming big October update, which might be the first stable update to include the extension support for Edge.

• MikeT
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi @cfcassidy,

Just in case, I did test Insider build 10532, nothing for extensions. Here are the changes for Edge in 10532: http://dev.modern.ie/platform/changelog/10532-pc/

This discussion has been closed.