Disabling 1Password Browser on iOS

Options
amysmithny
amysmithny
Community Member

I would like to disable the browser for 1Password. I disabled Safari on my iphone for productivity reasons and find myself "sneaking" on 1Password's browser. I know, I know, you probably are gonna tell me that I need more will power. But what I really want is an ON/OFF button for the browser in settings. Any chance in the next update?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@amysmithny: Oh dear! I'm afraid I am guilty of a bit of "SQUIRREL!"-ing myself...

We do not currently have plans to offer a way to disable 1Browser, but we may consider doing so in the future. If I may ask, if the option were available for you to turn off 1Browser, what would be stopping you from simply turning it back on? But if you mean an option in iOS Settings > General > Restrictions (not 1Password Settings) to disable just the 1Browser feature in the 1Password app, this is not possible, as 3rd party apps are not an option there -- only Apple's apps.

Let me know if I've misunderstood anything. And thanks for sharing this feedback! :)

• strker11
    strker11
    Community Member
    Options

I came here to ask the exact same thing... Would love the option to disable the browser as a way to minimize distractions during times of maximal focus. Password protected disable would be even better.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@strker11: Thanks for letting us know you'd like to see this feature as well! It sounds like almost a parental controls/restrictions sort of thing if I understand you correctly. Certainly something we can consider for the future. Cheers! :)

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Hey,

I have never used 1Browser and I think I am unlikely to ever use it. Could a preference be added to disable it and to allow the 4 tab bar buttons expand to fill the space?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, meant to post this in the iOS beta topic. May a mod kindly move it over there for me? Thanks.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@rctneil, done.

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rctneil,

Hope you don't mind that I've merged your question-request with a related discussion back here in the iOS category where it's also relevant. :)

Like @brenty previously mentioned, there are still no immediate plans for an option to disable 1Browser but it's also still open to future consideration. Plus the possible tie-in with parental controls/restrictions.

Your suggestion and interest has been heard and noted; thanks!

• mikeeverson1
    mikeeverson1
    Community Member
    Options

I think offering an opportunity to restrict the use of the in-app browser similar to what Apple does for restricting Safari would be a great tool for families to be able to use this tool with their children's phones. Until then, though a great tool, I cannot purchase more licenses knowing that I am trying to safeguard my kids as much as possible by some parental restrictions on their iPhones but then give them that opens the internet wide open. It seems like others would like the opportunity to be able to restrict, turn off/on, or have other options with the in-app browser. Hope Agilebits might consider this as a future update.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mikeeverson1: That's absolutely something we can consider! But I will say that given 1Password's primary function of login saving and filling we don't have a lot of requests to disable this functionality. Definitely an interesting dilemma.

• Twie
    Twie
    Community Member
    Options

I would also like to disable 1browser for productivity reasons.
    An optional "parental" style lock on the browser would do the trick.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the vote. :)

ref: OPI-2626

• yosph
    yosph
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Another vote for this feature! Maybe use a Hide Browser toggle within 1Password settings?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @yosph,

Please see my reply in your other thread, here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/271187/#Comment_271187

I imagine if we cut it, we'll cut it entirely, so we no longer have to mark the app as being rated 17+.

Ben

• tonari
    tonari
    Community Member
    Options

i stumbled upon this discussion, and I just really don't get the requests here... can someone break down this down to explain why 1browser needs to be disabled?
    it's hard enough to use as it is now...
    thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @tonari,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. The landscape of this discussion has changed a bit, as we found that when we switched to Apple's WKWebView API for 1Browser we no longer needed to publish 1Password as a 17+ rated app (we are now rated 4+) because WKWebView obey's parental controls.

Mostly because of this change we are not currently considering removing 1Browser. If the landscape shifts again in the future that is something we could re-evaluate. But the primary motivation for considering removing it was because it previously forced us to rate the app as 17+ which would've been very limiting especially considering our new 1Password for Families offering.

Thanks!

Ben

• tonari
    tonari
    Community Member
    Options

ok thanks. I guess i misread the odd comments about it being a distraction. cool. thanks.

• Ben
    Options

That was part of the OP's request, but the primary reason we were considering removing 1Browser was due to the 17+ restriction. With that removed, it is highly unlikely we'll remove 1Browser unless the landscape changes.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.