1Password 5 - Wifi Disabled - No iCloud Option

Options
sfncook
sfncook
Community Member

I have purchased an iPhone 1Password app and added a few passwords to it then synched with iCloud. Next, I purchased 1Password v5 for Mac and installed the v5 License file. But now I'm having trouble synching the two. First if I click "I've used 1Password before" I see only 4 options: "Dropbox", "This Mac", "Another device", and "Restore from backup". There is no "iCloud" option. :( I have no clue what the "Another device" option is intended to do - when I click it I see some worthless paragraph saying "... there are several options to transfer your data..." and a button that takes me to the online Getting Started Guide for version 4 (huh?) that simply tells me to start 1Password and do exactly what I just did. (Not many things are more annoying than circular logic) The online Getting Started Guide also shows a screenshot with iCloud as an option which, as I just mentioned, is missing from my version. Okay, so how about a wifi sync? If I click "Window" --> "Wi-Fi Sync" then the "Run a Wi-Fi server..." checkbox is disabled and apparently unavailable.

So what am I doing wrong? It seems like the license file didn't install correctly but if I go to "1Password" --> "License..." it's clear that the license file has been installed correctly. It lists my full name and the purchase date, etc. Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The first thing we need to know is from where you purchased 1P. Did you buy from the Mac App Store or direct from the AgileBits store? (The AgileBits store version has been unable to support iCloud sync since the release of OS X Yosemite because of changes made by Apple, and that is made clear on the AgileBits site.)

If that doesn't explain the iCloud issue please take a look at the AgileBits iCloud FAQ, which may help you.

As to wifi sync, you need to disable any other form of sync before you can enable wifi sync. Did you do that?

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

@sfncook: Stephen_C is correct. Only the Mac App Store version of 1Password supports iCloud Sync, since Apple does not allow non-MAS apps to do so. Additionally, iCloud Drive/CloudKit itself requires OS X Yosemite or iOS 8.

However, you can use Dropbox Sync between all current versions of 1Password (and many older ones), regardless of platform.

Just to clarify, Wi-Fi Sync is meant to work between a single computer and one or more iOS devices (all using 1Password 4 or 5). If Wi-Fi is disabled on your Mac (or there is no Wi-Fi adapter in the first place), that option will not be available.

'Another device' is if you have 1Password data stored, well...on another device, such as an old Mac, that you might wish to transfer it from.

But certainly if you prefer to use iCloud Sync (and all of your devices are able to use 1Password 5), just say the word and we can refund your AgileBits Store purchase so you can buy 1Password 5 from the Mac App Store instead. Let me know what will work best for you. :)

• sfncook
    sfncook
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

@Stephen_C and @brenty - Very helpful responses from you both! Thank you so much. I completely missed the note on the main store page. Whoops! My bad. :)

However, I'm still a little confused by the wi-fi problem. So it looks like your suggestions are: 1.) Make sure wi-fi is enabled for my laptop (yup, it's enabled) and 2.) Disable all other forms of sync for 1Password. Well I haven't actually used the version on my laptop yet and have never performed any other sync so I'm not sure how to disable anything else. It's possible I accidentally activated some feature while I was poking around. But when I start 1Password (on my laptop) I still see the introductory page with the two buttons that say "I'm new to 1Password" and "I've used 1Password before". Ideas how to resolve this?

This makes me wonder a new question which is: Do people normally pick a sync method and stick with it? Or is it possible to be syncing with various methods throughout the life of the app? All of the methods have some pro's and con's and I'm a little gun-shy to get locked into any one of them.

Thanks again for the help thus far! I just sent a request for a refund so I can go make the purchase on the app store.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sfncook,

You can change your sync method but we wouldn't advise rapidly jumping between ones on a regular basis. When you set up synchronisation 1Password maintains a certain amount of sync metadata to reduce the possibility of sync issues going forward. When you disable sync this metadata is thrown away, forcing 1Password to treat any future syncing as if it has never interacted with it before. It isn't to say there are issues with changing sync methods, merely jumping backwards and forwards a lot might generate sync conflicts that you have to then manually resolve, sync issues unlikely to be seen if you stick with a sync method.

With Wi-Fi Sync the original conception was with an existing vault on the Mac. So this is an area that we need to improve on. It is possible though and I see two methods of doing so. The safest way forward though would be to create a backup on your iPhone, copy it to your Mac via iTunes and use it to kickstart 1Password for Mac. After the initialisation you can then start using Wi-Fi Sync.

If that's something that would interest you the steps are:

1. Follow the Creating a Manual Backup section on our iTunes Backups page to create and copy a backup from your iOS device to your Mac.
    2. Inside the Backups folder you save will be a file ending in .1p4_zip - that's your backup file. You can use this with the Restore from backup option in I've used 1Password before.
    3. Having initialised 1Password with this backup you can then set up Wi-Fi Sync

Of course if you're intending to go with our MAS version then you may simply want to hold off and go with iCloud Sync.

If you need any help please do let us know.

This discussion has been closed.