Latest download of 1Password 4 flagged with a virus PUS:RiskTool.Win32.Deleter.p [False positive]

Options
mbognanno
mbognanno
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

When trying to download the latest version of 1Password for Windows my AV software complains of PUS:RiskTool.Win32.Deleter.p. Is there really a virus in the installer package?

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @mbognanno ,

It is in all likelihood a False Positive - all A/V tools occasionally do this (and worse).

You can test out any binary at jotti.org, which wlll run many A/V scanners on the object and provide you with the results.

Notify your A/V company of the F.P.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @mbognanno,

As MrC correctly pointed out, this is most likely a false positive. 1Password will be flagged more often because of the encryption libraries we have, that sometime makes the anti-malware tools think we're doing something weird.

Can you tell us which anti-virus solution this is, so we can also file a report with them about this false positive.

• mbognanno
    mbognanno
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update. On my end it was flagged by Kaspersky A/V.

• rdefulio
    rdefulio
    Community Member
    Options

Ran into this false positive myself this morning. Wanted to share also that virustotal.com is another good site for checking out false-positives against multiple AV vendors. This and jotti.org are good tools to have in your toolbelt. Thanks for sharing.

• MikeT
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi guys,

@mbognanno:

On my end it was flagged by Kaspersky A/V.

That's weird, we've worked with them to make sure we're good to go but we'll check in again with them. Thanks!

@rdefulio,

Ran into this false positive myself this morning.

Are you using the same AV, Kaspersky?

Wanted to share also that virustotal.com is another good site for checking out false-positives against multiple AV vendors.

Great suggestion, thanks!

• We've contacted both SurfRight, the developers of HitmanPro, and Kaspersky about this false positive.
    As soon as we know more, we'll post the information in this thread.

This discussion has been closed.