What Is Lenient URL Matching & Also URLs randomly stop working often...

Options
akissz
akissz
Community Member

1.) What is Lenient URL Matching?
2.) Often I notice the 1password does not notice I am at a particular url, even top level url, domain.com, so I exit the browser and start from scratch, or close the window and open a new tab. To me, in my opinion this is a software bug, and its been happening for many versions, 3, 4, and 5, maybe always. I see no connection to anything I am doing, it is random. -- Will turning on Lenient URL matching fix this?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There's a detailed explanation of lenient URL matching here in the knowledge base.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @akissz,

Can't stop smiling at your profile pic ... that's quite interesting!

I hope that the link that Stephen provided has helped you better understand Lenient URL Matching. Please let me know if you have any further questions after reading that article. :)

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    Options

My Question number #2 was the main question. Can you answer question #2? Glad you like the picture Megan.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @akissz,

I'm sorry, I assumed that the document about lenient URL matching would also cover question #2. It seems to me like you might be visiting a different URL than is saved in 1Password. For example, if you're visiting accounts.google.com, but your Google Login has login.google.com saved as the URL, you will not see your Google Login in the matched list if you're using the default precise domain matching.

Now, if I'm still misunderstanding your question, I'd really appreciate it if you could provide a bit more detail about the steps that you're taking that lead to this, or if there are any particular sites that 1Password doesn't seem to recognize. We'd be happy to investigate further.

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

It may be a Firefox Bug or bug in the 1Password plugin. Its something to do with top level domain names. Regardless of the subdomain. I do not really know any more information to give but it happens all of the time and its annoying and quite random.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @akissz,

Almost anything you can let us know might help. For example, the next time it happens, if it's on a site where you don't mind posting the URLs, copying the URL where it's going wrong and posting the URL stored in the item that should have matched may be of help, if for no other reason then knowing a site we can try and replicate it on - everything up to the first / should be all we need given some sites like to encode information in the URL. It might be of interest to know if you had any other browsers open or how many windows and/or for the browser you're having the issue with.

To answer your question though, if closing the tab and re-opening it causes the correct behaviour I suspect Lenient URL matching isn't the solution as you're correct, the behaviour should be consistent. Hopefully we can understand what's going on :smile:

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Oh most of the time I have 30+ pages open and often sometimes 3 different browsers open at the same time also. Firefox, Chrome, Safari (though I do not have the plugin installed in Chrome, only Safari and Firefox.). I am a super user. lol. I will try and keep better track of this issue and see if I can notice other things to add for your information. I just know its been happening for years and I hate it.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @akissz,

We can certainly understand that being a source of frustration. Half the battle is being able to reproduce an issue, if we can do that it puts the devs in a great position to understand what is happening and why. With that comes the opportunity to fix.

Knowing even just the above, things that might be of interest to note when you see it include which browser is in focus and which is your default browser. You mentioned Firefox earlier on so I'm wondering, is it pretty much Firefox where this happens and Safari be your default browser by any chance?

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    Options

Firefox is my main browser. I can not say for certain if it has ever happened in Safari! So 70 percent Firefox use, and it happens mostly I believe when I have a lot of tabs/windows open 10 to 50 tabs/windows. On All website domains, randomly. I will keep track and post more if I see other connections to this issue. I have ignored it for a long time but figured I would post about it now. :) The only fix is closing the particular site that is not seen by the plugin and reload the tab by clicking the site in 1Password.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That is a lot of tabs @akissz :tongue:

I wonder if it's related. Now presence over the weekend can be a bit spartan as we like to make sure all the devs are nice and refreshed for the Monday and the week ahead but I will ask if anybody can think of a reason why a relatively large number of tabs could be a factor. I don't know for certain but maybe something in either Firefox or our extension gets tripped up by a large number of tabs. It's certainly something to check anyway and specific enough that I can ask and expect an answer.

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

OK: You are in luck. It just happened, kind of. I was signing into a clothing website to check status order. And it pulled up UPS website login info instead of the website I was trying to sign into. This is not exactly what I described above, but this is similar. I had just quickly signed out of the clothing website by mistake, so I clicked on the website to sign-in, then I go click 1Password, and it shows me UPS login info instead of correct domain info. Crazy!!! I rather not share domain names in my postings here; but it is clear there is a bug in the Plugin seeing/reading the domain names correctly from the url bar. And for reference, I did have 30 tabs open. I counted. Now as I am counting, I clicked between a few tabs to make sure I am counting correct, then at the end I get to the domain in question, and I double check 1Password, and now after clicking through a few tabs, it is showing the correct sign-in domain info. But before clicking around the tabs it showed the wrong signin info. And again, this is not the bug I stated in previous posts, this is another bug entirely.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @akissz,

Thank you for the details about that! You said this is a different problem than the one you were describing in your previous posts. To make sure I understand, can you please elaborate on the difference between these issues? In your previous posts, was the problem that the 1Password extension wouldn't find matching Login items at all?

As for the new problem, you said you were trying to check the status of an order on a clothing site, and the 1Password extension suggested your Login item for UPS instead of your Login item for the clothing site. Is it possible the order status section on that site was showing shipping information from UPS? If so, the UPS order/shipping info could have been in a frame hosted on the UPS site, which would most likely explain why the 1Password extension suggested your UPS login.

It might help to know the URL for the site where this happened, or the URLs where you've experienced the other problem you described. If you don't want to post the URLs here, please feel free to send them to us in an email: support+forum@agilebits.com (if you do, please be sure to include a link to this discussion so we can connect the dots).

Can you also let us know the following details:

• What version of Mac OS X are you running?
    • What version of the 1Password app is installed? (From the main 1Password app, go to the menu for 1Password > About 1Password)
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • What version of Firefox are you using?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in Firefox?

Thanks!

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

1.) The first issue you are correct, when on the domain it does not display ANY login info in 1Password plugin, even when I am 100 percent sure the domain is correct and the only way I fix this issue is to close the tab and or page, and go back into 1Password (from within the browser) and reload the page a second time. This happens most often!

2.) To your questions about UPS, no. It was for example: I was on "domain1.com" and it was seeing it as: "ups.com". But then I noticed after randomly clicking on a few other tabs 5 or 6, then going back to the page in question "domain1.com", it no longer displayed "ups.com" login, it displayed "domain1.com", as example only. I think the plugin confuses domain names sometimes for some reason. Maybe it has something to do with having 30+ tabs open. (as I wrote but did not explain... checking order status was of no connection to this error at all.)

I am using current versions of all software, OS and Plugins and Browsers.

As of yesterday, for some reason this happens a lot. After exiting Firefox, and restarting it, it says the Plugin needs to be re-added, it has done this a couple times this week already.

I am using the Apple Store version. But there is no connection to this. Previously I had used other free versions non-Apple store versions. And had the same errors.

Why is the font so huge in my reply here? lol. Looks like you are having a CSS bug on the website.

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to add again. Note these bugs have been happening for many years! On all your versions, both 4 and 5 of 1password I believe. And on multiple OSX versions, fresh OSX installs too. I just ignored it all till now.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi @akissz,

Why is the font so huge in my reply here? lol. Looks like you are having a CSS bug on the website.

The forums here support Markdown text, so when you include a # at the beginning of a paragraph, it is assumed that that line is a heading. For example, writing #Heading will display as:

Heading

I've edited your post to remove the # so it is more easily legible.

I am using current versions of all software, OS and Plugins and Browsers.

Having specific version numbers could really help us here. It's not that we don't trust that you're up-to-date, but because we're trying to track down and reproduce something very particular, being able to re-create your set-up exactly will give us a better chance of seeing what you see.

Reproducing what you see is the first step towards getting this fixed. This is why we are requesting specifics like version numbers, and URLs. If we can't see what you're seeing, then it's even more challenging for our developers to determine where things are getting tangled up. If you're not keen on sharing URLs in the forum here, you're welcome to send a message in to support+forums@agilebits.com with the details. Please include your version numbers, and a link to this thread so that we can more quickly piece everything together.

ref: FLD-23665-499

This discussion has been closed.