Auto-Fill One Time Password?

JasonCw
JasonCw
Community Member

Hi all,

I have successfully configured 1Password to store one-time passwords for Google Authenticator. However, I am failing to have 1Password auto-fill one-time-passwords into login forms.

Example: I am using WordPress with the Google Authenticator Plugin. The login Form contains three fields:
1. Username (user)
2. Password (pw)
3. Google Authenticator Code (1-Time Password)

1PW successfully fills Username and Password, but I have to manually copy the 1-Time Password into the "Google Authenticator Code" field.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for your support.

Kind regards
Jason

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JasonCw,

You're not missing anything I'm sorry to report. At the moment the extension doesn't work with the new TOTP information but it is something we definitely want to improve on. Unfortunately for the moment you will have to copy and paste the code in. I've noted your query to the existing feature request although it probably isn't needed, the people in charge want this to happen :smile: so hopefully it won't be long but I have no ETA and can't make any promises.

ref: OPX-758

• JasonCw
    JasonCw
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

Hi @littlebobbytables ,

Thanks four your fast answer. It's sort of a letdown, but as One-Time Passwords are luckily already generally supported with 1Password, I hope this will be taken care of soon.

Thanks for adding it to the list of feature requests.

Cheers
    Jason

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Fingers crossed :smile:

• noktulo
    noktulo
    Community Member

I would love this feature too. Any update?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @noktulo,

I'm afraid I don't have anything new to report for this. I'm not a developer, but my understanding is this feature is more difficult to implement than it may seem. The reason why a one-time password cannot be filled by the 1Password extension is because the extension doesn't support filling custom fields. So I think it would take a considerable amount of time and effort to change the way filling works in order to have this happen with the TOTP field.

Now, that's not to say this won't happen - we'd love to be able to do this, as it would be a really useful feature for us as well as our customers! I just don't have a timeframe for when something like that might happen.

In the meantime, you can simply click on the one-time password to copy it, and then paste it into a website. That works in the main app as well as 1Password mini or the browser extension. I know it's not quite as easy as using a quick keyboard shortcut to have something filled for you, but hopefully that makes it a bit easier. If you need anything else, please let us know!

• adamgibbins
    adamgibbins
    Community Member

I note that version 5.4 now allows you to customise the web form parameters, disappointed to see it still doesn't allow you to add custom fields as one of the inputs however :frown:. Adding this ability really would significantly ease things, OTP is so prevalent now I'm entering many multiple times a day, having to navigate menus to copy my OTP is a pain in the backside. Please +1 a vote from me.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @adamgibbins,

I've added your vote.

• TiloHensel
    TiloHensel
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

Hello,

i've just registered here for support this feature request!

Tanks.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback, @TiloHensel! I'll add your vote. :+1:

• mkwerle
    mkwerle
    Community Member

Ditto -- before 5.4, attempting to fill almost all forms brought up the 1Password dialog; now, many times, it seems to autofill my username instead. So, having the ability to customize this would be great.

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mkwerle,

Thanks for letting us know! But just to make sure - are you requesting the ability to have 1Password fill a one-time password for you? That's the topic of this discussion, but it almost sounds like you're having trouble filling a regular login form with your username and/or (normal) password for a site. I may have simply misunderstood what you meant, though - and if so, I apologize!

If you're just asking to be able to have a one-time password filled without copying/pasting it, we're happy to add your vote. But if you're having trouble with regular login form filling, let us know and we'll be glad to help you out with that. Thanks! :)

• mkwerle
    mkwerle
    Community Member

The main fill works fine. Then, I get sent to the 2-factor authentication page. I used to invoke the same shortcut, which would just pop up 1-Password. Now, it tends to auto-fill my password and submit the form. So, I just use 1Password mini to get it, but I haven't yet gotten the "show 1Password mini" key-combination to muscle-memory, so I usually have to take my hands off the keyboard to do this.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mkwerle,

Thank you for clarifying that, I see what you mean now! :) If you use the ⌘\ ( Command+\ ) keyboard shortcut on a website, and you have a Login item for that site, 1Password will think you're trying to fill the username and/or password and try to do that if possible. Since you're not on the main login form at that point, 1Password is taking it's best guess about what to fill in that field.

If you want to simply view the details of a Login item so you can copy/paste the one-time password, you can use the ⌥⌘\ ( Option+Command+\ ) keyboard shortcut to show 1Password mini. It should recognize the site you're viewing and suggest the matching Login item, but won't try to fill anything. From there, you can easily view the item details and copy the one-time password.

Hopefully that helps, and I'll be sure to let our developers know you'd like this process to be a bit easier. Thanks! :)

• mkwerle
    mkwerle
    Community Member

So, a long time ago, probably sometime in the 4.x series, and for no apparent reason, ⌘\ stopped working for me. I'm a developer, and an expert in all the usual ways that shortcuts get stolen by the system or other apps, but could not figure it out. So, I went through support, but no one there was able to figure it out. So, I mapped the autofill shortcut to ⌥⌘\. Oddly, this eventually supported a mix of auto-fill when it could and popping up 1Password mini when it could not, and I assumed that that was 1Password's new behavior.

With 5.4, I decided, on a whim, to re-map ⌘\ to the autofill, thinking that 1 less key to press would make my life easier. But, now I can't get ⌥⌘\ mapped back to the shortcut to show 1Password mini. For now, I just mapped ^⌘\ to 1Password mini to make it work.

After many years of migrating through major OS X updates, my system settings are a bit of a mess, and recently, I've encountered some disk corruption that that Disk Utility cannot fix. So, I intend to rebuild from scratch one of these days, but work has been too busy to do this. If I can't get my shortcuts straightened out after a rebuild, I'll ping here again.

Back to the original issue, it would be really great if autofill could be made to work with 1-time passwords. :+1:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@mkwerle, hopefully it all goes well when you get the chance to rebuild things - just make sure you have a backup of your 1Password data somewhere other than the Mac you're rebuilding! :)

If you still have trouble with the keyboard shortcuts for 1Password after you do that, you can open a new thread, and we'll be happy to help you figure that out. Thanks!

• stvvan
    stvvan
    Community Member

Hi,

How about introducing a keyboard shortcut that allows autofill for a predefined custom field?

Sample use case: I want to set ^⌘\ to autofill One-Time Password for me.

Is that feasible? Thanks.

• Hi @stvvan ,

We would absolutely love to provide filling of one-time passwords. It is a bit of a difficult issue to solve. The engine needs to have some underlying technical improvements in order to detect them properly. While I can't say when this is coming, I can say we are aware of the demand (we want to use the feature too), and are working on it. This is not a trivial improvement though, so it will take some time.

Regards,
    Kevin

• compaqdrew
    compaqdrew
    Community Member

I'd also like to register my vote for this feature.

• Thanks for the feedback @compaqdrew.

Rick

• gtcaz
    gtcaz
    Community Member

+1 on a keyboard shortcut to fill (or place in the copy/paste buffer) the current one-time password. That'd be fantastic!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the vote! :) :+1:

• Andy Huang
    Andy Huang
    Community Member

Sorry to bring back an old thread. I understand it would be difficult to map it to a custom field, so autofill is probably out of the question. But can we have a keyboard short cut, say ^⌘\ to copy the 2 factor token? E.g.: ⌘\ to fill the first form, then ^⌘\ copies the one time password into clipboard, and then we can just ⌘V after we select the field it is being prompted for.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Andy Huang

Thank you for your feedback and for letting us know what you'd like to see in 1Password, we'll keep it in mind and add your vote to our tracker! :chuffed:

• baggend
    baggend
    Community Member

I just noticed in the Windows beta of 1Password that there's an option to automatically copy the OTP value to your clipboard once the form is filled. It doesn't look like it's enabled yet, but I think this would be a great way to implement this for the time being (at least until 1Password is able to natively identify these forms and fill them in intelligently).

Hitting ⌘\,⌘V would be much easier than the current dance of ⌘⌥\,↓↓↩︎,⌘V

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @baggend,

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll pass that along to our Mac development team. :)

• baggend
    baggend
    Community Member

Just in case someone was following this thread that isn't on the Beta upgrade channel for 1Password Mac, this appears to have been implemented in the latest beta. I'm on 6.5.BETA-19 and I just got a notification when visiting a site that I have OTP saved for that the code has been copied to the clipboard.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@baggend: Agh, you beat me to it! Okay, you win! ;)

Indeed, we're testing this in the current 1Password 6 beta so that after filling the login credentials, the TOTP code will be copied to the clipboard for easy pasting in the inevitable next step in the process. Let us know what you think! :)

• mrchrisrodriguez
    mrchrisrodriguez
    Community Member

I loved this feature but can't seem to find it after migrating to a new device. Is it only on the beta channel?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mrchrisrodriguez,

We had a couple beta versions where the one-time password was automatically copied to the clipboard after the 1Password extension filled the regular username & password, but that feature didn't make it to the stable version. We'd like to add that back to the beta at some point but will need to flesh out how it works before we do that. Thanks for letting us know you liked that feature! :)

• kevinawoo
    kevinawoo
    Community Member

@Drew_AG I was using beta and that feature worked very well. Now that it's gone, it feels like 1password is missing a critical feature.

This discussion has been closed.