Do I need both "1Password 4" and "1Password" folders in ~/Library/Application Support?

Options
SVanDee
SVanDee
Community Member

While trying to reduce my disk space usage, I noticed that the ~/Library/Application Support folder contains both "1Password 4" and "1Password" folders. Does 1P 5 need both? The discussion in the https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/38470/backups-located-in-1-password-4-folder-and-how-to-centralize-in-1-password-folder-in-dropbox-folder post seems to say the 1Password folder is obsolete but I see things in both folders have been modified recently.

The Preferences -> Backups window says 1P keeps up to 30 daily and 24 monthly files. I have Time Machine turned on. Do I really need such extensive backups by 1P? Can I change it?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SVanDee,

If you're not running 1Password 3 for Mac any more then the '1Password` folder can be safely removed. If it is still being modified it is likely the old 1PasswordAgent is still running. To ensure there are no bits of 1Password 3 left you can find our Completely Uninstalling 1Password (v3) at that link. My recommendation would be to follow the Uninstalling 1Password Manually section and to remove the bits that are still left.

There isn't a UI preference for altering the number of backups - sorry. Now with the correct terminal command it is possible to turn off backups but we would advise against that even with Time Machine in the mix. If you really want to turn the backups off we can show you how.

Let us know how you get along in uninstalling 1Password 3 :smile:

• SVanDee
    SVanDee
    Community Member
    Options

All is well. Maybe. I didn't find many of the things specified in the Completely Uninstalling 1Password manually procedure but, on the last step, I did find ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist in the LaunchAgents. I hadn't found any 1Password apps except Macintosh HD/Applications/1Password 5 app until then so I was puzzled what it was launching. I asked Spotlight to find all references to 1Password. It found 1Password.app v3.8.21 in my ~/Applications folder. I guess the LaunchAgent must have been starting that one which was updating the 1Password folder in my Library/Applications Support. It seemed doubtful that v3.8.21 could run at the same time as 1Password 5 without anything visible in the UI and without clashing/crashing but I deleted that app, ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist, and ~/Applications Support/1Password, rebooted and opened 1Password. The ~/Library/1Password folder has not re-appeared and nobody's complained about not being able to find it so I've got my fingers crossed that all is well now. Thanks for putting my on the right track.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad we could help @SvanDee :smile:

If you do have any issues or other questions please don't hesitate to ask :smile:

This discussion has been closed.