Vault passwords and moving files

Options
ronin424
ronin424
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Mac

Hello I have 1Password 5 on OSX and I placed a password on my vault that worked for years but now it won't. I haven't changed it since I made it. Everything still works but when attempting to do merges from or change vaults from my iPhone the password doesn't work. I thought of backing up my vaults, removing the program and starting over; however, I'm afraid the import won't work. The data is backed up on my NAS, my off site storage and my Time Machine. ..... Yeah I'm a bit paranoid. Any chance of a disaster happening?
ej

Comments

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ronin424!

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. It sounds like you're unlocking 1Password using the Master Password for your primary vault without issue, but when you try to change things in another vault you encounter problems. Is this correct?

If this is where you're encountering trouble, it might be because you're being prompted for the password for your secondary vault but entering your primary vault's password instead.

As for removing 1Password and starting over--it certainly won't hurt anything as long as your data is backed up (since you're syncing with your iPhone, we'll count that as another backup vector :smile:). It sounds like the problem is more with secondary vaults than your primary, so I don't know an uninstall/reinstall would help.

• ronin424
    ronin424
    Community Member
    Options

Yes i'm accessing 1Password just fine it's the vault issue I'm running into. Doesn't seem to be an issue with the iMac it's just doing the merge from the phone and iPad. The vault is in dropbox local to my Mac which is where the encryption should be taking place and the IOS device needs the password to access it. Removing 1Password from the IOS device and re-installing won't change that fact so I'm guess I need to recreate the vault in one without encryption. Which would mean a manual rebuild to a new vault then sync. Time for finger limbering up exercises. :^)

• ronin424
    ronin424
    Community Member
    Options

I exported my data into a .csv and .txt format for safe keeping and plan to re-install 1Password. From what I saw during the export non of the data was to be encrypted. Does the vault password stick with the data or is it applied to the file itself?

• ronin424
    ronin424
    Community Member
    Options

ok sorry for the continuous post format but I just tried importing the .csv file and it fails. I get a popup stating 0 items imported 0 items failed. I opened the file in openoffice and checked the format and it's utf-8 I even created another file and selected comma separated along with the other default delimiters. I read where version 4 had issues with imports but figured it would be fine in 5. Anything I'm overlooking?
    ej

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ronin424,

All of the data stored in 1Password is encrypted; however, we cannot apply that encryption outside of 1Password, so .txt and .csv files won't be encrypted. Your Master Password does not apply to any files outside of the 1Password bundle.

Let's try this:
    1. Lock 1Password for Mac by going to the 1Password menu, then clicking Lock.
    2. Try to unlock your vault with your Master Password.
    3. If that works, celebrate and continue to use 1Password!

If that doesn't work:
    1. On your Mac, disable Dropbox sync and let 1Password remove your .agilekeychain from Dropbox.
    2. Wait for Dropbox to sync the changes. Don’t do anything until you see that Dropbox sync activity has completed and the menu bar icon no longer shows that sync is in progress.
    3. Re-enable Dropbox sync, and let 1Password create a new .agilekeychain in your Dropbox folder.
    4. Wait for Dropbox to sync the changes. Don’t do anything until you see that Dropbox sync activity has completed and the menu bar icon no longer shows that sync is in progress.
    5. If you can access 1Password for iOS, go to Settings > Advanced > Erase; if not, delete 1Password for iOS and reinstall it. If you can access and there are unsynced changes, make manual note of them.
    6. Set up as existing user, sync with Dropbox, and enter current MP when prompted.

• ronin424
    ronin424
    Community Member
    Options

I think I'm explaining this wrong. I can access 1password files from the iMac with no problem. What I can't do is access a different vault from my IOS devices to do a merge because the password I used to encrypt isn't working nor can I do a merge from my IOS devices with the current 1password fie; however, I can sync with it and it does pickup the updates that I put in using the iMac and the iMac can see the updates I submit through the IOS device.
    ej

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @ronin424, I'm sorry for all the confusion. I am not sure that I understand what you mean by "to do a merge." Can you help me understand? It sounds like you're having trouble syncing your secondary vaults, but I don't want to make any assumptions. Let me check with you to see if I have a clear picture of what's going on, and you can correct me if I've gone wrong anywhere.

1. You have 1Password 5 on your Mac.
    2. You are using multiple 1Password vaults on your Mac.
    3. When you lock 1Password on your Mac, you are able to unlock it with your Master Password.
    4. This unlocks all secondary vaults, so you are able to switch between them on your Mac.
    5. You are syncing your primary vault with Dropbox, which means that you have 1Password.agilekeychain in your Dropbox folder.
    6. Are you also syncing your secondary vaults with Dropbox? Sync settings are vault-specific, and configured in Preferences > Sync.

Now let's switch to your iOS devices:

1. Which version of 1Passwod do you have on your iOS devices, is it the latest, version 5.4?
    2. Do you have any information in 1Password for iOS that is not synced with your Mac? If so, please make a note of any unsynced items. That way, if you reset 1Password for iOS, you won't lose anything.
    3. Can you please clarify this?

…nor can I do a merge from my IOS devices with the current 1password fie; however, I can sync with it and it does pickup the updates that I put in using the iMac and the iMac can see the updates I submit through the IOS device.

If syncing with your primary vault is working fine, what is it that you're trying to merge?

This is the bit that made it sound like you're having trouble with secondary vaults in 1Password for iOS:

What I can't do is access a different vault from my IOS devices to do a merge because the password I used to encrypt isn't working…

Once I have a better understanding of the problem you're experiencing, I'm sure we'll be able to help you resolve it! Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate your patience.

• ronin424
    ronin424
    Community Member
    Options

Everything in 1-6 is correct.
    I am using version 5.4 on my IOS device.
    From what I can tell all the data on the IOS devices has synced with Dropbox where my iMac stores data and syncs.
    When you I go into 1Password on my IOS device and select "Vault" and then select a secondary vault and attempt to sync to it I hit the page that request "Please unlock your 1Password data in Dropbox to continue" at this point I would enter a password I created; however, at this point the password fails. It isn't the Master Password nor the password I created for this purpose. The password hint is correct but the password I tied to it doesn't work. It does sync with another vault using the Master Password but it's an older vault. I was attempting to remove the older vaults.
    ej

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ronin424!

The easiest way to resolve this issue is to recreate your secondary vault. This will enable you to set a new password for that vault, and you can save the password in your Primary vault so that you can refer to it in the future. To recreate the vault:

1. On your Mac, launch 1Password.
    2. Create a new secondary vault by going to 1Password > New Vault. You won't be able to give the new vault the same name as the existing vault, but you can call it something like VaultName2.
    3. Switch to your Primary Vault by going to 1Password > Switch to Vault and save your new secondary vault's password (you can't be too careful!). To do this, you can simply create a Password-type item, call it something like [New Vault] Password, and enter the password in the password field. Of course, [New Vault] should be the name that you actually gave your vault :)
    4. Switch to the vault that won't sync with 1Password for iOS by going to 1Password > Switch to Vault, then clicking on the vault giving you trouble.
    5. Select all of your items, then click Item > Share > *[New Vault] > Copy.
    6. Go to Preferences > Sync and set up Dropbox sync for the vault you just created.
    7. Give your new vault a few minutes to sync with Dropbox.
    8. On your iOS device, launch and unlock 1Password and go to Settings > Vaults > Sync Additional Vault > Sync with Dropbox, then follow the instructions on the screen.
    9. Once your new vault has synced and you're sure that all items are accounted for, feel free to delete your the original version of the vault by going to 1Password > Delete [vault name] Vault.

Let me know if this helps!

• ronin424
    ronin424
    Community Member
    Options

ok it's working and I removed the uncooperative vault. Waiting for the sync to finish but so far so good.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

@ronin424: Fantastic! I'll be glad if the sync completes successfully and everything works out in the end. So far so good. Be sure to let us know how it turns out! :)

This discussion has been closed.