One username/password with multiple domains

So at work (Windows only), we have a setup where our client credentials can work on multiple websites. So if I'm supporting client A, I can login to server 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 or 9 with their credentials and get to their data. Our login pages consist of username, password and db name fields. How do I configure this to work in 1Password? the rest of the company uses Roboform, but I'd rather stick to 1P if possible as it is what I use for all my other stuff.

I have looked into doing the multiple URL to a login option, but it is rather tedious when I have 50 logins and 12 possible servers I can login to. Since the server names are relatively set in stone, can this be "batch" imported somehow?

What is the best way to import all the logins and all the domains so taht I can login to anything from anywhere? From watching my co-workers, it seems as if Roboform is ignoring the URL completely, and simply filling in the fields with the data chosen by the user. Can 1P mimic this mode?

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

You could ditch the browser extensions and use the Auto-type facility. You'd need one login per client with no urls set. Click on it in the main app and then click the Auto-type button on the toolbar.

For the bulk import, you might be able to use MrC's Import Tool with an Excel copy and pasted csv file.

Not sure if the import tool can handle multiple urls to allow you to insert all 12 servers and hence use the browser extensions. @MrC ?

• DJFriar
    DJFriar
    Community Member

I'm not familiar with Auto-Type, is there a document on what it is and how it works? Does it turn off the browser extension or can both play nicely together?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi @DJFriar,

It may be relatively easy to construct a custom converter for your needs. How are your login records + URLs stored now?

@RichardPayne - thanks for the CC.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I'm not familiar with Auto-Type, is there a document on what it is and how it works?

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/using-auto-type

Does it turn off the browser extension or can both play nicely together?

No, they play nice together.

• @DJFriar - please let us know how you get on and if you need further help.

• DJFriar
    DJFriar
    Community Member

Currently we have a custom CRM product that we can go in and seek out the logins (company wide we are talking thousands of logins. We offer a hosted product and have a few thousand active clients, many with multiple servers/databases). I'm not worried about storing all of them, as I only deal with 10 clients or so, but I do have about 30-40 logins/servers to deal with. That said, I completely don't mind manual entry, it's a one time thing.

I am not sure if it is related or not, but our login screens have username, password, server and database fields. I turned on the AutoType for one of the logins and I see it fill in username and password, but that is all. In my 1P screen, I have username and password at the top, then in the bottom section, username, password, server and database are all present. It is almost like it will only populate the info in the top half of the window, but not the bottom half.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

No, it just pokes keypress messsages at the target window:

username tab password tab enter

So Auto-Type isn't an option. You'll just need to create 10 logins each with 40 servers listed. You can either do this manually or talk to @MrC about getting on import done.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

@DJFriar What @RichardPayne says. You have one more option. Instead of adding the 40 servers to 10+ individual Login items, you can add them to your vault (for every Login item):

1. Start 1Password
    2. Unlock
    3. Click on: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P)
    4. Click on the Logins tab
    5. Click on: Domain Matching

From here, you can associate the 40 servers with each other.

• DJFriar
    DJFriar
    Community Member

I can get to the Domain Matching screen, but couldn't find any documentation on it. I assume it works as follows:

Click the top plus button, and type in the main domain. Then click on the bottom plus button and add every other domain.

Once I've done that, am I correct that 1P will then consider all of those domains as the same, so I just enter the logins as normal with whatever domain I happen to go into first?

Regarding Auto Type, it seems to work if I could get it to enter more than just username & password. Is there a way to add other fields to the top part of the 1P detail screen?

Thank you @RichardPayne, @svondutch & @MrC for all your help, I appreciate it. :)

• DJFriar
    DJFriar
    Community Member

What I think may be a related question: When I am in the Logins tab in Preferences, there is a "Enable Multiple URLs" box that was unchecked. I clicked on the help button, but it refers to the button as "Lenient URL Matching", which I recall had to do with subdomains. Nothing references this new wording. Should I have that checked on?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Regarding Auto Type, it seems to work if I could get it to enter more than just username & password. Is there a way to add other fields to the top part of the 1P detail screen?

I don't think so. Auto-type is hard coded to send the username and password.

there is a "Enable Multiple URLs" box that was unchecked. I clicked on the help button, but it refers to the button as "Lenient URL Matching"

Sounds like a documentation issue @DBrown?

I can get to the Domain Matching screen, but couldn't find any documentation on it.

Likewise @DBrown. There doesn't appear to be an article for this.

• DJFriar
    DJFriar
    Community Member

To be fair, the help page that describes the Logins tab in preferences does mention Domain Matching, but searching for it returns no results and it could be slightly expanded. @DBrown

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Well spotted. I was looking at the new support.1password.com site.
    That said, from the way that article reads, domain matching just doesn't work.

Also note that the article says that domain matching is not support in the newer opvault format vault so this solution will not be available forever. Why is that anyway @svondutch?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I'll let the folks doing 1Password for Windows documentation know about this thread.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

lol, I thought that was what you were doing these days.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Not since I stopped visiting this forum on a regular basis.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@DJFriar, I don't know whether the user's guide is being kept up to date, but searching for domain matching definitely gets you to the article about the Logins tab.

1. Search the user's guide for domain matching.

2. Click on the first article listed.

• DJFriar
    DJFriar
    Community Member

Hmmmmm......

• DJFriar
    DJFriar
    Community Member

Also note that the article says that domain matching is not support in the newer opvault format vault so this solution will not be available forever. Why is that anyway @svondutch?

How do I see what version I am using? I run the latest 1P on all my devices if that helps (so I'm running 1P5 on my Mac, iPhone, etc and sycning over Dropbox).

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Just look at the vault in Dropbox. If it ends with ".agilekeychain" then it's an agilekeychain and if it ends ".opvault" then it's an opvault. Simples.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

am I correct that 1P will then consider all of those domains as the same

@DJFriar Correct.

the article says that domain matching is not support in the newer opvault format vault so this solution will not be available forever. Why is that anyway @svondutch?

Don't know, sorry. Maybe @jpgoldberg knows.

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

Hmm. What we don't have is a way to synchronize the specifications for domain matching in the new format (instead we rely on the ability of people to specify multiple URLs for a Login). But this doesn't preclude continuing with domain matching as long as there is no expectation that those settings will synchronize.

• DJFriar
    DJFriar
    Community Member

I'm finding that I can enter the multiple domains via the dialog, but if I go back into the dialog there is no way to see the ones i set up, and it doesn't appear to be saving the changes to anywhere I can see. Is there a place to view/edit the domain associations?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DJFriar: Ah, it sounds like you've run into the same issue I did. Sorry for the trouble! If your 1Password vault was created on a different platform other than Windows, well...they don't support Domain Matching, don't know about the files it uses, and therefore do not create them.

I've already filed a ticket for this so that hopefully 1Password for Windows will be able to create these on the fly in the future if they're missing. In the mean time, you can manually add the necessary files as shown here. I hope this helps! :)

ref: OPW-406

This discussion has been closed.