Syncing between Mac and iPhone is not working

Euler271
Euler271
Community Member
  • I’m using 1Password version #:5.3 on my Mac with OS 10.10.3
  • On my iPhone with iOS 8.3: 1Password 5.4
  • Syncing with other devices (list them): iPhone

The 1P vault on my Mac is the master vault. I want to sync it with my iPhone via Dropbox. I had been doing this successfully for a long time, but syncing stopped working several months ago.

I performed all the diagnostic and tests listed on the Agile Website support section, to no avail.

Here's what happens when I try to sync to my iPhone.

Open 1Password -> Settings -> Sync -> Start Syncing -> Sync with Dropbox -> Select Dropbox account -> Choose a Vault: 1Password/1Password.agilekeychain -> Vault Mismatch -> More Info -> Your Vault: Number of Items 485, 84.5% similar, Last Updated Sep 16, 2014. Dropbox Vault: Number of Items 407, Last Updated Apr 14, 2015 (this is today).

The vault on my Mac has 407 items. I want the vault on my iPhone to be identical to the vault on my Mac, which is my master vault.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• rickfillion
    edited April 2015

Hi @rm.reg,

When you get to that screen with the Vault Mismatch info, you should be able to choose to Merge these vaults. This should cause it to update the iPhone's vault to be the same as the agilekeychain which is the same as your Mac. Is it not giving you the Merge option at the bottom of that screen?

Rick

• Euler271
    Euler271
    Community Member

Yes, it does. However, the Vault Mismatch window has a detailed message that says that 1P recommends not merging the two vaults. Which is why I did not merge them. I do not want to mess up my master vault

• Euler271
    Euler271
    Community Member

Here's the detailed message: Vault Mismatch: It appears that the data in the Primary vault is different from the vault you selected in Dropbox. We recommend that you do not merge these two vaults.

The options given are "More Info" and "Do Not Merge"

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rm.reg,

(First of all, it appears that you used your email address as your username for the forums here - I've edited your username so that the full email address is not displayed. If you would like to change your username to something else, please let me know!)

Now, I'd like you to select the 'More info' option on this message. Sometimes the app can get a little bit nervous about merging, when in fact there is little difference between the vaults. More info will tell you the percentage of difference between the vault data, and allow you to make a better decision about whether you would like to merge or not.

Our team is looking into ways to make this message a little bit less dire. ;)

• Euler271
    Euler271
    Community Member

Hi Megan, Yes, please change my username to Euler271. I tried to change it by editing my profile, but it did not work.

Regarding your suggestion. I did select More Info, and it told me that "Your Vault" has 485 items with 84.5% similar, and the "Dropbox Vault" has 407. The master vault on my Mac has 407. Moreover, for "Your Vault" the information states that it was last updated on Sep 16, 2014, which cannot possibly be correct, and that the Dropbox Vault was updated on April 14, 2015, which is correct. So I don't know what the vault 1P calls "Your Vault" is; it cannot be the vault on my Mac, which was updated on April 14, 2015.

By the way, when I compare the Logins on my iPhone with those on my Mac, it is evident that the Logins list on my iPhone has not been updated: it does not match the list on my Mac.

Thanks for your help. I hope we can resolve this soon.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Euler271,

As you've probably noticed, I changed your username. ;)

Sorry for any confusion about the Vault Mismatch message! That warning appears just in case you have multiple vaults in Dropbox, so you don't accidentally merge two completely different vaults together. We have more information about that message here: 1Password reports a “Vault Mismatch”

If you only have one vault in Dropbox, you can go ahead and merge the data. That will update 1Password on your iPhone with any newer data in Dropbox (and vice versa). Remember that if you're at all nervous about merging, you can backup your 1Password data first (there are steps for that in the above article). But the result should be that the 1Password data on your iPhone will match the 1Password data on your Mac (and in Dropbox).

In the Vault Mismatch message, "Your Vault" is referring to the vault stored locally on your iPhone. You mentioned the sync stopped working several months ago and it sounds like you only make changes on your Mac, so in that case it makes sense that the vault on your iPhone was last updated in September. On your Mac, 1Password is syncing correctly with Dropbox, so your data is already up-to-date in both of those.

Does that help to clear up the confusion? Hopefully you're all set, but if you have more questions, please let us know. Thanks!

• Euler271
    Euler271
    Community Member

Hi Drew_AG, Well, your suggestions worked. The Mac and iPhone are synced. But a discrepancy remains: the number of items on the iPhone is greater than the number of items on the Mac. The discrepancy is that some logins and passwords that I deleted from the Mac vault remain in the iPhone's vault. There are 20 more logins on the iPhone than on the Mac, and 120 more passwords on the iPhone than on the Mac. The Mac's items are up to date but the iPhone's extra items are not. I could delete them manually from the iPhone but that is a bit of a chore. Is there an automatic way for me to really match the two vaults?

Thanks again. You've been a great help

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Euler271,

Great, it sounds like we're much closer to having everything working correctly again!

If you were able to re-enable sync, I'm not quite sure why your Logins and Passwords wouldn't match between your Mac and iPhone. But there are definitely options here. First, since you're using Dropbox sync, you can use the 1PasswordAnywhere feature from a web browser on your Mac to view your 1Password data. Try doing that, and see if the items you deleted from your Mac are also deleted from Dropbox. Basically, does the vault on your Mac still match the vault on Dropbox?

If so, and if you have all your current info in 1Password for Mac, the easiest way to solve this would be to reset 1Password for iOS and set it up again. Please note that this will erase the local 1Password data stored on your iPhone (you'll be able to re-sync it from Dropbox). To do that, follow these steps:

• Open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings.
    • Scroll down and go to Advanced.
    • Scroll down and tap Erase Data and Settings, then confirm you want to do that.
    • When you see the message confirming the data is deleted, tap Quit.
    • Restart your iOS device (hold down the power button for a few seconds and "slide to power off", then turn it back on again).
    • Reopen 1Password and choose Sync existing vault.
    • Choose Sync with Dropbox and follow the steps to set up Dropbox sync.

Once the setup and sync are complete, check to make sure your data is there. Let us know how it all goes, thanks!

• Euler271
    Euler271
    Community Member

HI Drew,

Your suggestion is great. I really appreciate your help. My iPhone and Mac are now fully synced. But what happened is that some of the old items I had deleted from my Mac somehow remained on the iPhone and survived the merging process, causing these old items to "return" to my Mac. The result is that the Mac and iPhone vaults are fully synced, but with some unwanted items left over. This is no problem. The obsolete items are a very mild nuisance that I will deal with as needed. The important thing is that syncing is now fully functional.

Thanks again,

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Euler271,

I'm happy to hear the sync is working now! It sounds like 1Password and/or Dropbox couldn't tell for sure if those old items should be kept or deleted, so it kept them just to be safe. An easy solution might be to restore 1Password for Mac from the last backup made before the old items were re-synced. From the main 1Password app, go to File > Restore. If you're able to tell which backup has the "correct" number of items, you can try restoring from that (you might want to make a current backup before restoring from an older backup).

Aside from that, I'm glad everything is fully functional! If you need anything else, please let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.