Corrupt 1password attachments on one of my Mac

Options
Gipz
Gipz
Community Member

Hi,

On a new macbook pro all the attachments stored in 1password seems to be corrupt.

Saw that several customers had the same problem. Unfortunately I couldn't get the link to work to send you my details. Got the error message "permission denied" when I clicked a link.

Please advice.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Gipz,

Can you help us understand your specific situation a little more please.

1. Do you or have you in the past synced to other Macs or iOS devices?
    2. As best you can remember, have you tried both iCloud and Dropbox for syncing?
    3. Do you still have the original copy of 1Password where you attached these items or the backups from that machine?

With those answers we should be in a better position to help. I apologise that this has happened :(

• Gipz
    Gipz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for a quick reply!

1. Do you or have you in the past synced to other Macs or iOS devices?
      Yes, I sync between 3 mac and two iOS devices.

2. As best you can remember, have you tried both iCloud and Dropbox for syncing?
      I currently use dropbox. I tried iCloud but that method didn't work with my license for 1Password.

3. Do you still have the original copy of 1Password where you attached these items or the backups from that machine?
      Yes, I can still open the attachments on the original Mac where I imported them. I haven't confirmed that all attachments works tough.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Gipz,

Here is what I would recommend.

You can search your vault for any item with an attachment using the following steps.

1. Select All Items from the Sidebar.
    2. Use the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌥⌘F or the drop down menu option Edit > Find > Show Search Options to show the advanced search options.
    3. By default it will be set to Search: All Items and Title is. You want to click where it says Title and select the Number of attachments option instead.
    4. When you do this that line will now read Number of attachments is greater than. In the box type 0 and press the enter key.

This will tell us how many items we're dealing with.

There are two approaches we could go through.

1. You would manually create new items on the original Mac, copying everything from the old item (that doesn't sync attachments properly) over to a new item that should. When that new item is view on your other devices it should all be good.
    2. If the number of items makes this impractical we could export a working copy of your vault and basically start over.

As you can see, these two options are pretty different and kind of depend on how many items and how you feel about it. We had a bug (that we eliminated a couple of updates ago) and when I suffered it was only 3/4 items meaning option 1. was fine for me. If you've got a few attachments though the idea of creating new items and copying everything over might seem like a lot of effort - it all depends on your particular situation.

The fact that you likely still have all of the attachments is the key part so at least there is hope and we have options :smile:

• Gipz
    Gipz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! Will try this next week when I'm back home. I will go with option 1 as it's just around 10 items. Will it work if I duplicate an item, or is the correct procedure to press "new"?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Gipz,

You can duplicate those items, however that won't duplicate the attachment. So, once you duplicate the item, you'll need to re-attach the file(s) to it. If you don't have the original copies of those file saved elsewhere on that Mac, you can drag them from the original items to a location on your Mac to make a copy, then drag that copy to the duplicated item.

Please let us know how it all goes for you, thanks!

This discussion has been closed.