Updating 1PW for my new iMac

MacThespian
MacThespian
Community Member

I've been using 1PW on my old Mac, under Snow Leopard, for years. I recently bought a new iMac which is running Yosemite, and I don't want to simply use Migration Assistant to bring everything over to the new machine (for a variety of reasons). Not to mention, 1PW has been updated several times since my version (which I believe is the latest that will run under Snow Leopard). I assume I'll have to buy a new copy of the latest version of 1PW (not a problem), but I'd like to migrate all the information I stored on my old machine to the new one. Is there an easy way to do this? (Oh--and is there, by any chance, a discount for the new purchase?)
Thanks.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MacThespian,

When I buy a new Mac for myself, I don't use Migration Assistant either, so I can definitely relate! :)

If your old Mac is running Snow Leopard, you must be using 1Password 3 for Mac (and I see that you have a license for version 3). If you want to, you can set up 1Password 3 on your new Mac and copy the data to it from your old Mac, and that will make things a bit easier for when you upgrade to 1Password 5. On your new Mac, you can download 1Password 3 from the "Legacy" section at the bottom of our download site. The easiest way to get your 1Password 3 data from one Mac to another is by using Dropbox sync, or by following these steps.

Since your new Mac is running Yosemite, you'll probably want to upgrade to 1Password 5 for Mac - and there's definitely a discount for that! Simply visit our Upgrade Store and enter your license code (I've resent it to your email, for your convenience) to see your upgrade discount and options.

If 1Password 3 is already set up on your new Mac when you install 1Password 5, the switch should be really easy because version 5 should find your existing data. Or if you set up Dropbox sync, you can sync your data from Dropbox when setting up 1Password 5. There are other ways to migrate your data that are also pretty easy, so if you need help with that, just let us know whether or not you've migrated your data to 1Password 3 on your new Mac, and whether or not you've set up Dropbox sync, and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• MacThespian
    MacThespian
    Community Member

Thanks for the response. I only have one problem: shortly after I left my inquiry, my old iMac died. No response--can't even power on. I have a backiup drive, which I attached to my new iMac--but when I try to open 1PW on it, it immediately asked whether I want a new data file or find an existing data file. Trouble is, I don't know where the data file is, nor its name. I let 1PW handle all this, so presumably everything is in a default location. If you can help me out with the file name and location, that would be great.
    Once more, I really appreciate your assistance.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

The default location for 1Password 3 data would be:
    ~/Library/Application Support/1Password

• Unless you were using something like Dropbox for syncing at that point it could very well be anywhere in your Dropbox folder.

The data file name is called 1Password.agilekeychain

You may also wish to recover all the backups of your data that 1Password has made over time. If you simply copy the 1Password folder referenced above.. It will contain a folder called backups and should be populated with all your backup files.

If you wish to copy the entire folder then go to ~/Library/Application Support/ and look for the 1Password folder then copy it to the new machine. Making sure to put it in the proper location on the new machine . This should grab all your backups and the datafile unless you had previously moved it to non standard location.

• Be very careful with the 1Password folder and its contents. It is the only copy of your data. I personally always have a second backup or even make a second copy of the folder prior to working with it. One for working with and one just in case something unexpected happens.
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MacThespian,

As you're connecting a backup drive to your new iMac it might be prudent to explain the ~ for when thightower wrote ~/Library/Application Support/1Password. The ~ is a shorthand to say your user account which OS X understands. My long username is LittleBobbyTables and my short username is LBT. So on my machine my user account is stored in /Users/LBT/ and that's what ~ translates to. This breaks down when we're trying to talk about another disk though as we don't know the name of the backup drive or your username on your old Mac.

Hopefully though if you navigate to the Users folder on your backup drive you'll see a folder that you recognise as your username and inside there a Library folder. If you do you're on the right track and you can then hopefully find the /Application Support/1Password on your backup disk.

At that point you should hopefully be able to follow the rest of thightower's suggestions. If you place the 1Password folder in your new accounts ~/Library/Application Support folder then if you decide to stay with 1Password 3 it should find it just as if you decide to upgrade to 1Password 5 it should also find the vault and import it.

Please do ask if you're having any problems at all.

• MacThespian
    MacThespian
    Community Member

Thanks to all for their help. I found the 1Password folder without problems, but the agilekeychain file wasn't there. I checked my Dropbox folder and found it, then moved it to the 1Password folder.
    My new machine doesn't have a Users folder (probably because I'm the only user so far), so I copied the 1Password file to Library/Application Support. I assume this is ok, but I'll hold off on doing anything else until one of the wise folk here confirm my surmise.
    I really appreciate all the time people have taken to clearly explain it all to me.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

@MacThespian

If you want to keep syncing via Dropbox you would need to keep the keychain in Dropbox. The users folder is hidden by default in OS X. To view it press the option key while clicking the "Go" menu from any Finder window you will see "Library" appear between "Home" and "Computer" clicking on it will open the users folder. (The currently logged in users folder)

Further more keeping the keychain inside of Dropbox will ensure you can retrieve it, if a drive ever crashes again. I suspect you had it in Dropbox because you were sharing it with a mobile, device and or another Mac etc. If you can tell us if that applies we can try to get you sorted out and making sure you can keep all those passwords where you need them. :chuffed:

cc @littlebobbytables

• MacThespian
    MacThespian
    Community Member

Thanks! Yes, I was keeping the keychain in Dropbox so that it would sync with my laptop (which my daughter is using most of the tine now, but which I will reclaim when she goes off to college in the fall with a new laptop of her own).

I haven't downloaded Dropbox onto the new iMac yet. I suspect that I should, once I figure out how I had set it up. Would I need to "point" 1PW to the keychain in Dropbox, so it knows where to look for this info?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MacThespian,

Dropbox is actually one of the standard places a new copy of 1Password will look so if you install Dropbox and then launch 1Password it should find your 1Password.agilekeychain. You should hopefully find it a seamless transition but if you have any troubles please do post :smile:

• MacThespian
    MacThespian
    Community Member

Thanks. I appreciate all the help and advice I've received.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad the information from thightower and littlebobbytables has been helpful for you! Hopefully you're all set now, but if you need more help with that or have questions about anything else, we're always happy to help, so just let us know! :)

• MacThespian
    MacThespian
    Community Member

Just a note to say that I am all set up now, using 1PW 5 (I didn't see a new serial number or code for it; it only notes it was an upgrade from 1PW 3). I feel a whole lot better now, and wanted to thank everyone again.

• You're very welcome, @MacThespian. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.